Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Sept. 11, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @simo70 @cguntur @bhargavmehta

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1568221257287400

Today’s Agenda:

1. Chatting about what you’re working on for the team, how it’s going, any obstacles.

2. Open discussion time!

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?

  • Green: on plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@angelasjin sent in:
Ran a Train the Trainers and scheduled my next one for November.

@miriamgoldman:

  • Green: Running a training next week, have one individual signed up.
  • Green: Connecting with prospective trainers, am working with Rahul to get him to shadow me in October.
  • Green: Finishing editing our current video and adding additional prompts/cards to make it easier for trainers.
  • Yellow: Cleaning up the trainers script a bit. Just haven’t gotten around to it.
  • I guess a green would be is to verify that all trainers are completing the checklist, and making sure all is done after a training.

@jillbinder:

  • @miriamgoldman Let’s touch base about when you think you’ll be able to do the video and script edits. I think that for my October training I’m going to do the old training way because I’ve got too many workshops I’m working on to also be working on the new training way at this time…!
  • @miriamgoldman Great! I will likely base my training date in October on when the Training material will be available.

@amyjune sent in: She’s working on the content for the BADCamp workshop, and may get our input on the language.

@jillbinder: @amyjune I was going to send you a script to work off of for BADCamp. I’ll touch base with you about that.

@jillbinder

  • Yellow: My workshop for WCUSWCUS WordCamp US. The US flagship WordCamp event. and the related Building a Diverse Speaker Roster document are both having delays and extra work, but I feel good about getting them back on track.
  • Green: Managing the new mini team leads within our group — who are moving our work very forward — is going well.

@simo70

Next Saturday I’ll be at WordcampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Zurich and one of my slides will explain the project

@cguntur

I am currently working on the resources page for the speaker mentorsMentor Someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues.. Status is yellow – waiting for Jeremy to get back to me with his calendly link and schedule

@bhargavmehta

Yellow: Translations of new documents along side @rahuldsarker. No success yet as I am not able to dedicate time on it.

Open Discussion

@miriamgoldman
Well, I’ve noticed that we haven’t gotten that many requests for training as of late. After cleaning up the dormants, we have only 3 submissions, with one person scheduled to take the training with me on the 25th.

On this topic we discussed:

  • @aurooba‘s marketing plan
  • At some point writing to all the ones who have done the workshop in previous years and who were dormant in the past, and see if we can get more interested. I don’t think folks realize they should put effort into it every year.
  • Bringing it up at WordCamps coming up. @miriamgoldman, @bhargavmehta, and @cguntur volunteered
  • It’s not a big concern as things are slower while we’re improving everything plus the marketing plan is coming

@bhargavmehta talked about feeling more confident in our material to be able to talk about it at his WordCamps. He mentioned that our team’s workshop at the end of October will help.

@jillbinder
On that point, one of the many reasons we want to re-record our Training is because the audio from participants in our current video is not good. So I’m going to ask everyone attending to be on good internet and if you can, be using a headset or microphone for speaking.

@jillbinder and @miriamgoldman talked about starting to delegate some of her items

@jillbinder
For translations, I’m planning on doing some changes to the workshop material, so I should confirm with @bhargavmehta and @rahuldsarker that what is changing is not the parts you are currently getting translated. And if you are, we can copy it before I go change it.

@jillbinder talked about finding a better way to stay in touch with our various team leaders. @miriamgoldman suggested using the bi-weekly meetings and arrange for leaders to check in with me individually once a month separately from the meeting.

@jillbinder
Great – thanks everyone for your active participation, letting me know where things are at, and for all that you do and are going to be doing. You are great folks and I’m honoured to be doing this important work with you.

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1568224093340000

#wpdiversity