Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on June 12, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @amyjune @angelasjin @aurooba @bhargavmehta @immeet94 @cguntur

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1560358867217900

Agenda

  1. Reports
  2. A small admin task for someone: cross-reference our Helpscout queue with our Tracking sheet to separate out which requests came in 2019.
  3. Reviewing the Roadmap
  4. Talk about the Trainers process coming up: June – First internal improvements and have a Training last week of June (cc @angelasjin and @miriamgoldman); July – More internal improvements and another Training
  5. Next Actions
  6. Marketing Action Items

1. Reports

@jillbinder
Last time we finalized and started changing everywhere our new hashtag: #WPDiversity.

We’ve talked for a while about having a cleaner, shorter name for our group. Especially as we are going to be promoting our team a lot coming up.
It was: Diversity Outreach Speaker Training group. @andreamiddleton and I have been bouncing around names for months, and we just landed on Diverse Speaker Training group. I ran it by our team last week and everyone who replied was a yes. So now it is official.

@miriamgoldman, @angelasjin, and I tried out Actioned for the project management, and I didn’t like it. I didn’t have the clear view of what everyone is doing that I thought I’d have.

@angelasjin: Everything that @jillbinder said. Actioned was interesting for sure, but TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. provides a better view. Great suggestion @aurooba!

@miriamgoldman: Ditto on the Actioned. I agree that it wasn’t clear. Neat, but unclear.

@jillbinder: If you’re putting up your own card in Trello, there is a template of the format that you can copy and paste if you wish to use the same.

Can someone who has access to the Trello be our point person for requests for invites from folks?

@cguntur: I can do that

@jillbinder We all like doing Trello that is a hybrid of a view of what everyone is doing, along with @aurooba’s suggestions of splitting up things that aren’t doing yet, doing, and done.

Here is the new Trello:
https://trello.com/b/xnIFkJo0/diverse-speakers-training-wpdiversity-project-tracker

I’m using the card format that I created early this year with a project manager to help make sure everyone is really clear what they are doing, by when, etc. When I put a card up for you, please feel free to edit it.

Also if you’re putting up your own card, there is a template of the format that you can copy and paste if you wish to use the same.

Oh yes, one more thing on Trello. I have a column for Unassigned. It has cards that anyone can grab and do.

Just know that I will mostly be able to answer questions Mon – Thurs, and that I practise deep focus so I go through periods of turning notifications off… so I may not reply right away.

@jillbinder: Lastly from me, I have been working hard on our Roadmap, which we will look at later in the meeting.

@miriamgoldman
I promoted our team, under the old name, on the BoldGrid podcast a few weeks ago.

@aurooba
We’ve identified that the marketing route we want to take is to focus on community organizers and folks who can run the speaker training workshop in their communities.

To that end:
1) Short Term Plan: we want to devise a short term marketing plan that starts to get the word out a bit more
2) Outreach Tools: Create a set of outreach tools and resources to support organizers in running a successful workshop. There is a document set up to start brainstorming in: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15g5-nvP8P1s2OhixaRdQCVhxRMWqCOCyVWimChjubGU/edit and the Marketing Team will also be helping out during WCEU Contributor Day with ideas for these tools (you can see the trello card for that here: https://trello.com/c/zuaNHK0o), since many people there are within our target audience. Anyone here can also feel free to include their ideas. The objective is to identify 5-8 tools and resources that we can develop by the end of August 2019 to share with folks about to/interested in running the workshop in their community.
3) Marketing Roadmap: I’m working on setting up a marketing plan and will have something more to share and for everyone to contribute to next meeting. :slightly_smiling_face:
4) Everyone’s ideas are welcome on the marketing side, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have thoughts!

@jillbinder:
Wow, fantastic work @aurooba! Just so everyone knows, Aurooba is going to be our Marketing lead. We met yesterday with Andrea, and Aurooba’s done all this in just one day.

@simo70
@jillbinder: I know that @simo70 ran the workshop yesterday, so we’ll follow up with her soon.

I’m running it again in Vancouver. I did it in person in May and I’m doing 2 online sessions in June. Session 1 last Saturday went great (lessons 1 & 2) and Session 2 (lessons 3-5) is this coming Saturday.

2. Admin task

Speaking of cards that anyone can grab, I have a relatively easy one for anyone who has access to our Helpscout queue (or would be willing to gain access).

Our workshop tracker spreadsheet currently doesn’t have years on the entries. It would be great to start up a new sheet in the same doc for 2019 and refer to Helpscout to see which ones should be moved over to the 2019 sheet. Can anyone do this?

https://trello.com/c/rJWBh6qm/17-workshop-tracker-sheet-for-2019

@bhargavmehta: I can do Helpscout task. (I don’t have access to it).

@angelasjin: I will get you access to the HelpScout account.

3. Roadmap

@jillbinder
Our team has a roadmap now for May 2019 – April 2020. It is here:
https://make.wordpress.org/community/2019/06/11/diverse-speakers-training-group-road-map/

@angelasjin: Looks very solid to me! And you can confirm August trainings in my timezone.

@jillbinder: One of the things I’d like to point out on it is some of the flow:

Before the first training last week of June:

  • Improving our internal Train the Trainers flow (especially getting started on calendly and improving how we do Helpscout)
  • Putting the improvements into the material that we have
  • Putting requests for feedback, stories, photos, stats, etc into the workshop

In July:

  • Set up the system for participants to need to have scheduled a workshop meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. first (maybe put that up as optional in June)

In August:

  • Start rolling out the improved “long” and “short” training

In the Fall:

  • Start creating the new Training videos for the new “long” and “short”
    I think most of these are “Jill to do” items, but if I can delegate anything I will, or if you see anything I could delegate, please let me know.

A note that the Marketing roadmap isn’t posted yet as that is something that @aurooba is going to be working on and then post it on the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. when it’s ready.

I took a guess on Translations. @sheilagomes and @simo7, we can edit this schedule as you see fit! Also we should focus on the new “long” and “short” trainings rather than the 5 modules for Translations now. If that works for you, as I know you’ve already started. We can discuss.

I do have something for someone now. The #training team has a complicated githubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ way of submitting changes to training material. @lswanson learned it last year and was our person to do this, but he is no longer available. Would someone techie who could be available within a couple of business days each time a change is needed be able to do this? It requires watching and understanding a number of training videos from the #training team.

@miriamgoldman: I can potentially do it. Can I confirm with you tomorrow @jillbinder?

@cguntur: I know GitHub. I can help too…

3. June Training

Let’s schedule a Training for the last week of June. @miriamgoldman it would be great if you could coordinate with @aurooba’s schedule so we can try to pick a time she can attend….

@bhargavmehta: I will also wish to attend

@jillbinder: It’ll be a great chance to test Calendly as well. Even though it’ll only be one choice, we can test out the system that way.

Next Actions

  1. @miriamgoldman is pinging @aurooba tomorrow about Training times and also checking with @bhargavmehta
  2. @miriamgoldman is letting Jill know tomorrow about doing the #training github process, and then Jill is discussing with the interested folks
  3. @bhargavmehta is creating a new sheet in our workshop tracker for 2019 and putting all of the 2019 requests from Helpscout into it (including trainings that were completed, so you’ll need to check the Closed queue as well).
  4. @angelasjin is getting @bhargavmehta access to Helpscout (Done)
  5. @jillbinder giving @cguntur admin access to Trello so people can ask her for invites (Done)
  6. @aurooba create cards in our Trello with the template for the Marketing items

Marketing Action Items:

  1. @aurooba: Draft marketing roadmap plan and open it up for feedback next meeting.
  2. Everyone who wishes to Start coming up with outreach tool ideas and flesh them out a little with an outline of what they would contain in the doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15g5-nvP8P1s2OhixaRdQCVhxRMWqCOCyVWimChjubGU/edit If you need access, please pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” me (@aurooba)

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1560362422302100