Dear all awesome community members,
We’re looking to run WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia in 2020!
In 2015, at the Community Summit in Philadelphia, a few of us got together and started talking about how great it would be if a WordCamp would happen in Asia that would serve to bring everyone together across the many separated land masses.
We continued talking through various regional WordCamps (WordCamp US, Europe) and other city WordCamps around the world.
We had a pretty major meeting in WordCamp Europe (Paris) with a fair bit of WordCamp organisers in Asia present alongside key WordCamp Central Website for all WordCamp activities globally. https://central.wordcamp.org includes a list of upcoming and past camp with links to each. deputies Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook. to talk about working this through. This spawned a P2 post last year.
We were recommended by prominent members in the WordCamp Central team to keep growing new city based WordCamps to make this a sustainable approach.
Our Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Belief
WordCamps in Asia have reached a critical mass that will enable a successful regional WordCamp. We believe that running this WordCamp will contribute directly to long term efforts in fostering WordPress interest in countries that lack it.
With the continued successes of WordCamp US and WordCamp Europe, alongside the newly established and incredible WordCamp Nordic, we believe that Asia complements the effort created by all these regional WordCamps.
What we’ve done
- The WordCamp organisers in Asia have gone around volunteering, co-organising at other WordCamps.
- Many have also actively become mentors Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues. for new WordCamps in Asia.
- We’ve been discussing this approach with many WordCamp organisers in Asia across all the WordCamps that we go to
We have a proposal (hugely based and forked from the Nordic one) that is ready for Asia and the rest of the WordCamp community members to look at and help with. (This is available here – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bAyUa7Ya9xAvPa2krNN6WYGOoks5B2dAio7DyDWG6sg/edit?ts=5c88948e# take note that we’re still actively improving the proposal)
We have a Slack instance whereby quite a few WordCamp Organisers in Asia are present and actively discussing the future of this setup. (You’re invited)
We also have mentorship support from a Lead Organiser of WordCamp Europe.
- We will look at the feedback on the proposal and make improvements
- We will elect a Lead Organiser within the Global Team
- The Lead Organiser will then submit the official application to WordCamp Central
- The Global Team will be re-organised (ensuring a proper allocation between organisers in the region) and an official Local team will be formed
Please help us!
We want to ensure that the WordCamp Asia is successful – and we’d like for you to tell us how!
We’d like to leave this post and the proposal open for comments until 12 April 2019.
After which, we’re hoping to get the go-ahead from Central to get things moving!