Hello WordPress Meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. organizers!
Welcome to another meetup organizer newsletter full of news, information and inspiration for your local meetup.
- Annual Meetup Surveys close on 28 Feb
- Event Format: Ask me Anything on WordPress
- Diversity Outreach Speaker Training Workshops
Annual Meetup Surveys close on 28 Feb
Last month we sent out our meetup member and organizer surveys.
Please help us improve our support of meetup organizers and member all over the world by taking 10 minutes to fill out the organizer survey! The survey will be up until the 28th of February 2019.
It would be helpful if organizers could also remind their members to respond to the surveys.
Event Format: Ask me Anything on WordPress
Some meetups Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. are experimenting with new type of meetups format, where organizers and volunteers are hosting an open-office or help desk, where attendees can get to ask about their WordPress problems to experts.
Some examples are these meetups from communities in Karachi, Pakistan and Pune, India.
This is a great way for ensuring local WordPress users getting to meet and interact with local WordPress experts.
For more event formats that have worked well in other WordPress meetup groups, check out the meetup organizer handbook page on event formats!
To hear a round table discussion between other meetup organizers about popular topics at meetups, check out this video.
Diversity Outreach Speaker Training Workshops
The diversity outreach speaker training working group is asking for feedback from organizers who have run the diversity speaker training. Send an email to email@example.com to get the feedback questionnaire!
For more info, to let us know that you are running a speaker training workshop, and if you want to request training to run the workshop, please check out our page: https://tiny.cc/wpwomenspeak
This month’s featured speaker training case study: Kirsten in Vancouver, BC
Diverse public speaking changes lives and local communities. Kirsten took the speaker training workshop and spoke for the first time at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Vancouver. While there, she was spotted by a local agency and was hired as their first female developer. Kirsten quickly became the senior developer and team lead and is still in this role three years later. Recently she hired another female developer at her company!
“It had never occurred to me before that I had anything worthwhile to offer the WordPress community. Through the workshop, I saw that I had been underestimating my experience and perspective, and I became comfortable and confident about speaking on a topic I felt would be of interest to others.” – Kirsten
- On the community team we have Office Hours Defined times when the Global Community Team are in the #community-events Slack channel. If there is anything you would like to discuss – you do not need to inform them in advance.You are very welcome to drop into any of the Community Team Slack channels at any time. four times a week in the #community-events channel on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.: Mondays & Wednesdays 22:00 UTC, Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00 UTC.
- There is a proposal to improve this newsletter with additional organizer tips and training. You can leave your feedback on this link.
That’s it for now — chat to you next time!
Your friends on the Community Team