The Handbook and the Future

Plan is Dead, Long live the Handbook. At least that is my thought. I think the handbook is the future and we should kill Plan once and for all.

I know we have a notice on the home page of plan, but many people find the old outdated (and sometimes incorrect) info there. We redirect them to the handbook when we find out, but it would (in my opinion) be so much better if we could simply kill plan and redirect to the handbook. We’d only need 1 redirect – more would be unmanageable.

What do others think? @_dorsvenabili @andreamiddleton @camikaos @chanthaboune @brandondove @miss_jwo @iandunn @kovshenin

#handbook

Community Team Chat is on September 1!

Just a reminder that our monthly Community Team Chat will be held on September 1, 2016 at 19:00 UTC in the #outreach channel of WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. Mark your calendars and join in the fun!

#agenda, #meeting, #team-chat

Hello to all our Deputies WordCamp organizers Meetup…

Hello to all our DeputiesProgram Supporter Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook., WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizers, MeetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. wranglers, and WordPress Community builders! You were probably hard at work this weekend. Tell us what you got accomplished in our #weekly-update!

Have you run into a roadblock with the stuff you’re working on? Head over to #events or #outreach in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. and ask for help!

Sponsorship and Finances Report for August 26

Here’s that weekly update on the payments and income for WordPress community events that we post on Fridays. This report might get more elaborate as we get the time to build more tools around financial reporting (currently it’s quite manual), so if there’s a level of detail we’re not providing that you’d like to see, please mention it in the comments!

Between August 19 and August 25, here’s what came in:

Ticket revenue via PayPal: $19,918.17 USD (537 total tickets )
Sponsorship income via wire transfer: $57,889.00 USD
Sponsorship income via check: $5,569.17 USD
Sponsorship income via PayPal: $7,230.48 USD

Total revenue (in USD): $90,606.82

As for invoicing in this period:

We sent 40 invoices to local sponsors.
Of those, 11 invoices have been paid, 2 were voided, and 27 invoices are still outstanding.

And in this same period, here’s what went out:

Total number of vendor payments/reimbursements: 20

Total payments (in USD): $18,754.66

Global Sponsorship Grants that were set this week:

None this week! 🙂

As always, if you have any questions, please ask away in the comments!

#finances

Reminder: Community Team Chat is next Thursday!

Just a reminder that our monthly Community Team Chat will be held next Thursday, September 1, at 19:00 UTC in the #outreach channel of WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. Mark your calendars!

#agenda, #meeting, #team-chat

Launch: Budget Tool Beta

Imagine with me… a world in which planning a WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. did NOT require a Google spreadsheet to share or get shared to you. What if your budget lived *right in your WordCamp dashboard*? And what if… your dashboard budget was “automagically” updated with your live ticket sales, sponsor invoice payments, and vendor payment requests?

Guess what? A betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. version of this Budget Tool is already nestled in your dashboard right now (Dashboard > Budget > Budget), just waiting to be tested and improved by your feedback!

EDIT: Enormous, gigantic, and in all other ways huuuuuuuuuuuge cred to @kovshenin, who worked his fingers to the bone, coding up this amazing new tool. He’s aces in our book.

What you’ll find in this v1 Beta

Continue reading

#budgets, #finance

WordCamp Incubator Update Thread: August edition

Wondering what’s happening with WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. incubators in Denpasar, Harare, and Medellín? Here’s where @_dorsvenabili, @hlashbrooke, and I will post our updates for August!

#incubator #wordcamps

Outreachy: the final week

My main task this week was to populate the Teacher Resources page which provides the instructors with the information on how to prepare to teach a lesson on WordPress using materials created by WordPress training team.

And this is how my internship comes to an end! It’s been amazing three months that offered me plenty a new knowledge about:

• the amazing world of WordPress
  • what it’s like to contribute to an open-course project
  • training and community teams daily activities

Huge thanks to everyone I met on this journey especially my kind and supportive mentorsEvent Supporter Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues. @andreamiddleton and @chantabourne 🙂 I hope that while it’s my last Outreachy-related post here, it’s not my last post ever and I will continue contributing to WordPress community/training initiatives.

#outreachy

Hello to all our Deputies WordCamp organizers Meetup…

Hello to all our DeputiesProgram Supporter Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook., WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizers, MeetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. wranglers, and WordPress Community builders! You were probably hard at work this weekend. Tell us what you got accomplished in our #weekly-update!

Have you run into a roadblock with the stuff you’re working on? Head over to #events or #outreach in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. and ask for help!

Sponsorship and Finances Report for August 19

Here’s that weekly biweekly update on the payments and income for WordPress community events that we post on Fridays. This report might get more elaborate as we get the time to build more tools around financial reporting (currently it’s quite manual), so if there’s a level of detail we’re not providing that you’d like to see, please mention it in the comments!

Between August 5 and August 18, here’s what came in:

Ticket revenue via PayPal: $31,396.65 USD (894 total tickets )
Sponsorship income via wire transfer: $6,901.74 USD
Sponsorship income via check: $13,418.55 USD
Sponsorship income via PayPal: $6,185.66 USD

Total revenue (in USD): $57,902.60

As for invoicing in this period:

We sent 72 invoices to local sponsors.
Of those, 32 invoices have been paid, and 40 invoices are still outstanding.

And in this same period, here’s what went out:

Total number of vendor payments/reimbursements: 50

Total payments (in USD): $96,269.53

Global Sponsorship Grants that were set this week:

WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Medellín: $2,000 USD

WordCamp San José: $1,000 USD

WordCamp Baltimore: $ 5,500 USD

As always, if you have any questions, please ask away in the comments!

#finance