From the conversations I’ve had so far with staff and deputies, one of the big things that keeps coming up is that there’s no good way to know who’s doing what, what’s been done, issues arising with a specific city or person, etc. Some people know some things, some people know others, and no one has a good overall picture of where things stand. Yesterday I learned that Brandon, our most active deputy, didn’t know the payments plugin existed, for example. So we need to step our communication game.
Each day, a script will post a simple “[Day] #daily-updates” thread. If you are doing deputy/mentor stuff for the community team that day, when you knock off, please post a short recap as a comment. This way, everyone can get a general sense of what’s going on in the program with a quick skimming of the comments, and if anything catches someone’s eye that warrants questions or discussion, they can bring it up.
Note: Please don’t use this as a to-do list, use it as a to-done list. If it’s a to-do list, it doesn’t really help anyone know where things are at, just where they’d be in a utopian world where no one ever runs out of time to get things done. 🙂
Not sure what I mean by short recap? Here are a few examples based on the kinds of things it sounds like people are doing.
- Vetted WC applications for Pleasantville, Star City, and Hogsmeade. All look good to go.
- Vetted WC application from Gotham City. Have some questions about the organizer’s plugin business, emailed applicant to get more info.
- Did WC orientation hangout with organizers from Riverdale and Keystone City, approved both to move forward, and sent/received organizer agreements.
- Set up WC listing and sites for Riverdale and Keystone City.
- Checked in with organizers from Hub City (Victor Sage) and Blue Valley (Kid Flash). Victor’s is moving along and about to announce the speaker lineup. Kid is having some trouble with his team — his sponsor wrangler hasn’t been active despite repeated requests from Kid, and he’s concerned about money and local relationships being an issue. Suggested sending an email to the meetup group asking for a 2nd sponsor wrangler to step in, and he plans to do that tomorrow.
- Vetted a WC application from Coast City, where there is no meetup. Hal (the applicant) looks legit, so replied to him about starting a Meetup group first. He pinged me on Slack right away, so we went through the guidelines and I set up the Coast City WordPress Meetup. He’ll be scheduling the first event within the next 3 days.
- Checked site for WC Symkaria. Everything looks good, no GPL issues among speakers or sponsors. All sponsors are listed on the sponsors page appropriately, didn’t see any issues with IRS rules.
- Made 10 payments to vendors for Hill Valley, Stepford, and Cabot Grove.
- Initiated a wire to a vendor for Kryptonopolis, but the confirmation message looked weird. Going to check n it tomorrow, will call bank if there’s a problem.
- Received organizer agreements from Lisa in Springfield and Ahghairon in Waterdeep. Created WC Central listings and set up sites and email, sent budget templates.
(Wondering about the #daily-updates at the beginning? I’ve asked @kovshenin to switch this site over to the o2 setup now that it’s released on github. That will give us some built in tagging and formatting among other features, so we wrote the post for the script with that in mind.)
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Hit the comments.
Of note to anyone about to suggest that it would be easier if we just had a tracking app with all these tasks and who’s doing them — I’ve asked @kovshenin to look into options for that, too, so if you know of good pre-existing tools for this kind of thing that are open source, let us know, Otherwise we’ll build something.