WordCamp organizers are now contributors on WordCamp Central

We’re now adding all lead organizers of WordCamps as contributors on WordCamp CentralWordCamp Central Website for all WordCamp activities globally. https://central.wordcamp.org includes a list of upcoming and past camp with links to each. so they can add vital details about their event to their own WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. CPT (thereby reducing the amount of copy/paste that Cami and I do) and also so they can compose their own announcement posts for the WordCamp Central blog. It’s been going pretty well so far!

WordCamp organizers, if for some reason I did not already tell you about this directly, please feel free to draft posts for the WordCamp Central blog (announcements, recaps, etc) for me to review and schedule for publication.

#wordcamp-central, #wordcamps

WordPress tv Moderator Squad Update “To improve is…

WordPress.tv Moderator Squad Update

“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”

• Winston Churchill

This week has been a week of many changes for the WPTV mod squad. We moved from our little cottage in the backyard to the main house on the hill.

By moving to  https://make.wordpress.org/community/category/wordpress-tv/  we are now part of the make.wordpress.org/community.

As with any move it comes with big advantages, like higher community visibility and some issues to work out, the main one being keeping communication open between mods.

Even with the move and all the big changes the mod squad was busy moderating videos and the schedule queue for upcoming videos continues to grow.

Some great presentations are being uploaded from WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. St. Louis,  WordCamp Philly and WordCamp Seattle.

In The Last 7 Days:

24 Videos were published

from 5 WordCamps around the world.

The most views this week from a country, other than the United States, was Germany.

The Top Three Most Viewed Videos This Week

Hilary Fosdal: No Regrets Web Design

Sam Hotchkiss: Building and Managing Large Multisite Networks

John James Jacoby: Multisite and Multi-network

In Process:

2 out of every 3 US WordCamp videos never make it to WPTV for a number of reasons.  So a post-production team is forming to help rescue and process some of these video presentations.

Along with that is an effort to add more subtitling/translating for all WordCamp videos.

#moderator-update, #wordpress-tv

Team Chat Agenda July 31 2014 5th Thursday…

Team Chat Agenda — July 31, 2014

5th Thursday of the month, meeting topic is basically open to suggestion. Last week we tabled the issue of new blogs for various subcommunities. It might make sense to keep that tabled until we can set a special chat for that topic at a time that will work for some key people from various communities.

Any suggestions for meeting agenda items today?

#agenda

Upcoming WordCamp Hangouts

WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizer hangouts are scheduled for August!

Google Plus has some interesting opinions about how many people we can invite to these hangouts, which are public to anyone in the WordPress community. If you’ve not been invited via Google Plus, please consider this your invitation and request to join any event that looks like fun to you. The last orientation in August will be streamed, so no limits there.

This month I’ve scheduled two experimental WordCamp organizer “lunch” hangouts, which are intended to be casual gatherings for WordCamp organizers. No agenda, just WordCamp organizing chatter and fun times. If your camp is in planning, bring your challenges, ideas, and questions for feedback and advice from other organizers.

#orientation, #wordcamps

WordPress.tv Moderator Office Hours

Are you a wordpress.tv moderator looking to get help with the videos you are working on? Maybe interested in becoming a mod and want to know a little about what we do? If so feel free to stop by for our weekly office hoursOffice Hours Defined times when the Global Community Team are in the #community-events Slack channel. If there is anything you would like to discuss – you do not need to inform them in advance.You are very welcome to drop into any of the Community Team Slack channels at any time. in IRC (Freenode) at #wordpress-getinvolved on Wednesdays from 14:00-20:00 GMT

#office-hours, #wordpress-tv

WordPress.tv – Moderator issues thread for week 31

Howdy Mods. Having any issues with the videos you are working with this week, or have any questions edge cases that need a second opinion? Please let me know here in the comments.

#issues-thread, #wordpress-tv

Heads up I’ll be importing the posts and…

Heads up: I’ll be importing the posts and comments from the previous wptv moderators blog that was on wordpress.comWordPress.com An online implementation of WordPress code that lets you immediately access a new WordPress environment to publish your content. WordPress.com is a private company owned by Automattic that hosts the largest multisite in the world. This is arguably the best place to start blogging if you have never touched WordPress before. https://wordpress.com/ so that they can do their talking here as part of the team. 🙂

#wordpress-tv

Diversity Outreach FAQ

We’ve been talking about diversity — more diverse organizing teams, more diverse speaker rosters, more diverse contributor groups — and most everyone wants to help us grow in that area. Where we fall down is people not knowing how to get there. To that end, based on the success of the Philly Tech Week Diversity Mixer, I asked @liljimmi to work on a how-to guide for throwing a diversity mixer, with the thought that local wp meetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. could throw similar events. She got together with some of the organizers last weekend and they put together a draft, which she shared with me. The thing that stood out was that it had a lot of how-to on planning a party, but only a couple of lines on how to do the outreach to diverse communities to get people interested. Tracy and I talked about ways to build out that section, and are thinking the best way to answer sensitive questions is to have people ask them.

So! If Andrea were to tell you, “There should be a diverse group of people working together to choose speakers,” or, “I really need you to work on the diversity of your speaker roster this year,” what questions would run through your mind?

Add as many questions as you can think of in the comments, and that will provide a starting point for building an FAQ, and possibly language/email templates that could be used for cold-call outreach. Don’t try to censor yourself here. Say things as bluntly as you would feel them, so we can create an FAQ that addresses real situations. Post all the questions you would have, even if someone else already did, so that we can also see which questions are the most frequently asked. (Ha)

I’ll start:

• I don’t know anyone who’s [from an underrepresented group]. How do I meet those people?
  • If I go to a Blogging While Black meetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. event to try and meet some people, won’t I (as a white person) be accused of invading their space?
  • What’s the best way to contact people without inserting myself where I assume I’m not wanted/welcome?
  • How do I ask someone to get involved in a way that doesn’t tokenize them?
  • Could you tell me what to say when I’m contacting a person [from an underrepresented group] about getting involved so I don’t say something that’s inadvertently insensitive/racist/ableist/sexist/etc?
  • How much of this kind of outreach should be public vs private?
  • If I reach out to someone and they don’t reply, if I try again or even three times, is that being persistent because we all know that email piles up, or am I harassing someone that isn’t interested?
  • If someone in my group starts ranting about quotas and affirmative action, do you have language I can use to shut them up allay their concerns and convince them of the importance of diversity outreach?

#diversity, #faq

Languages: No more duplicates

I have consolidated the languages taxonomyTaxonomy A taxonomy is a way to group things together. In WordPress, some common taxonomies are category, link, tag, or post format. https://codex.wordpress.org/Taxonomies#Default_Taxonomies. on wordpress.tv to now use the native language name and script, rather than English naming. As you can see, this cleans up the widgetWidget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. on the WordCamp.tv page quite a bit:

language-widget

For those that are curious, here is the list of English names, and what they were changed to:

Arabic – اللغة العربية
Bulgarian – български език
Czech – čeština
Danish – Dansk
German – Deutsch
French – Français
Dutch – Nederlands
Italian – Italiano
Hebrew – עברית
Japanese – 日本語
Norwegian – Norsk
Portuguese – Português
Romanian – Română
Spanish – Español
Russian – Русский
Slovak – Slovenčina
Swedish – Svensk

#i18n, #update, #wordpress-tv

WordPress tv Moderator Squad Update &nbsp This week…

WordPress.tv Moderator Squad Update

This week mods have been busy moderating videos and filling up the schedule queue. There are lots of videos with great content scheduled for next week, including several non-english presentations.

And a Congratulations to WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. St Louis, the first video from a WordCamp St Louis was published this week with more to come.

Chris Koerner: How to Get Involved with the WordPress Community

Videos from WordCamp Philly and WordCamp Seattle are starting to arrive.

In The Last 7 Days:

There were 21 videos published

from 9 different WordCamps worldwide

with viewers from 154 different countries (even one from Vatican City, the next WordCamp?)

Top Three Most Viewed Videos This Week

Yesenia Sotelo: Use Google Analytics to Improve Your WordPress Website

Tracy Apps: How to Not Design Like a Developer

Sara Cannon: Smart Design – Icon Fonts, SVG, and the Mobile Influence

In Process:

A way to get the videos published faster while the content is fresh and making steady progress on a way to help organizers with processing WordCamp videos.

#moderator-update, #wordpress-tv