WordCamp Guidelines – March 28th Report

Andrea, Karen, Dustin, Tony and I met as usual on Wednesday/Thursday and the outcome of that meeting is as follows;

We have identified the most hotly contested pain points from our survey and in the coming days will be personally emailing those respondents who had indicated a desire to talk further about those guidelines to get more feedback and to deepen the discussion about the issues. It is the goal of these discussions tostart getting together some thoughts as to recommendations for improvements,  be they to the guidelines themselves, or to the communication about the existence and application of the guidelines.

There first stand outs in the list of  ’pain points’  was the keeping of ticket price to $20US per day so this week we will be emailing those people who identified with that point strongly in the survey to get further input from them.

It feels like we’re doing a lot of data gathering.  The goal of this committee, is to be able to present recommendations as to how we can best move forward with WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organising under a set of guidelines that works for the community as a whole and for WordPress in general.  So, all of this talking is helping us take the pulse of the community with a view to a diagnosis of the issues and hopefully, a remedy.

We look forward to chatting further to those of you who have invited discussion.

Recordings of Google hangout live stream meetups are…

Recordings of Google hangout/live stream meetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. are ok for publication on WordPress.tv. Sorry I only got this cleared *after* your first meetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook., @philerb, but a yes is better than no, I hope – even when it’s late. 🙂

#meetups-2, #wordpress-tv

Curious about the NOT GPL tag I saw…

Curious about the NOT GPL tag. I saw it applied to a recent WC Providence video (http://wordpress.tv/?p=17789&preview=true), so I wanted to take a peek at the (unpublished) video and see why it was tagged as such. On a first glance I don’t see any huge, in-your-face issues … so I wanted to follow up here and ask why it was applied and what exactly it means in this context.

The only real reason I could see is that the speaker discusses a few (potentially) non-GPLGPL GPL is an acronym for GNU Public License. It is the standard license WordPress uses for Open Source licensing https://wordpress.org/about/license/. The GPL is a ‘copyleft’ license https://www.gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html. This means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms. This is in distinction to permissive free software licenses, of which the BSD license and the MIT License are widely used examples. resources for beginners (like ThemeForest). I’m not sure this is worthy of blocking the video as not GPL, but wanted to follow up here for a second opinion.

Also, the speaker quite clearly tells the audience at the beginning – “and this will be up on WordPress.TV soon.” If we’re blocking videos based on specific GPL-related issues, have we pushed out our criteria to the various WC organizers so they can follow up with speakers? It’s a huge disservice to tell people a video will be available and then blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. it later.

#gpl, #wordpress-tv

Got a complaint today about WC Philly videos…

Got a complaint today about WC Philly videos not being up (and some allegations of favoritism since a well-known WP author’s video had already been posted and promoted). Looked around, and I can see 5 videos just fine but it turns out that the event was never added to the Browse by WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. menu.

I went in to add it myself, but can’t seem to add events to the menu (even though WC Philly 2012 does exist as an event). Any thoughts?

#wordpress-tv

Ah we started getting some spam videos now…

Ah.. we started getting some spam videos now. 🙂

#wordpress-tv

@myroseapple I moved the Q&A from Jerusalem 2010…

@myroseapple – I moved the Q&A from Jerusalem 2010 to the trashTrash Trash in WordPress is like the Recycle Bin on your PC or Trash in your Macintosh computer. Users with the proper permission level (administrators and editors) have the ability to delete a post, page, and/or comments. When you delete the item, it is moved to the trash folder where it will remain for 30 days.. Incomplete, out of date, and handheld camera = 3 strikes I suppose. Thanks!

#wordpress-tv

Whats with the SELF PROMOTION videos I don’t…

Whats with the SELF PROMOTION videos? I don’t see any logos or mention of the author/company in those vids..

#wordpress-tv

Hi gang quick programming update but I will…

Hi gang, quick programming update, but I will not be in attendance for next week’s open office hoursOffice Hours Defined times when the Global Community Team are in the #community-events Slack channel. If there is anything you would like to discuss – you do not need to inform them in advance.You are very welcome to drop into any of the Community Team Slack channels at any time.. I have a bit of a scheduling conflict, and IRC lost the battle of rock-paper-scissors in this case.

So, the office is still “open” next week if you want to come down and discuss your moderator accomplishments and issues with one-another. I will have to catch up on the logs later, and I promise you I only do this for the greater good!

Thanks again for all that you do! 🙂

#wordpress-tv

WordPress.tv Moderator Update: Week 12

It has been a bit of a slow week in terms of videos, but we expect that to change soon as the high season for WordCamps gets in full swing. Spring is in the air, and big camps in San Diego, Miami, and Nashville are not far behind!

Since “Get Involved” was launched last week, we have already started receiving our first public video submissions! It’s great to see more variety in the videos we publish, and we can’t wait for this to really take off! Uptake so far has been measured, and has sparked quite a bit of discussion on our P2 and during our weekly office hours on IRC. Here’s what’s been going on:

This Week

• Published 11 videos (7 WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more., 1 MeetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook., 3 How-to)
  • For “how-to” videos, we discussed how to format video descriptions, and looking into ways to give proper attribution to uploaders.
  • Discussed duplicate content – For now we allow duplicate videos if they come from different sources. We’ll let visitors determine which is best. We will revisit if it looks like things are getting out of hand.
  • Along with that, discussed the need to improve the discoverability of up-voted content on the site. Currently star ratings and likes are possible on video pages, but there is no way to effectively promote this content to new visitors, and it is not a ranking factor in site searches.

Next Week

• Finalize how we want to handle “how-to” video descriptions/attributions.
  • Continue making improvements to process documentation to improve process of on-boarding new mods.
  • Mod the heck out of whatever videos come our way.

#wordpress-tv, #wordpress-tv-event-video-management

This WordCamp Philly 2012 video is incomplete At…

This WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Philly 2012 video is incomplete. At 13:50 it jumps to the last of the presentation skipping about half the presentation.

http://wp.me/pllYY-4L3

#wordpress-tv