There is one issue I wanted to post…

There is one issue I wanted to post since quite sometime. On each video, I see the video title (not necessarily the topic title). Its random, for example the name of the file the uploader uses. And its something like wcyo-brad-munro-effective-marketing-digital-world-10-29-2012.mp4 and too long. If you check WordPress.tv in iPhone you will see this. It overflows the container and looks weird. How do we either hide it or use the post title?

#wordpress-tv

Special pro tip for this modified version of…

Special pro tip for this modified version of the p2 theme: If you put a hyphen followed by a space at the beginning of each line item in the p2 entry box here, it will automacially turn into bullets, no coding required! So “- unique speakers” will become

• unique speakers

Use it in good health. 🙂

#p2

Stats

Hi folks. As we approach the new year, with all these new contributor groups, we need to figure out ways to measure our progress/successes/failures so that we can continually improve the contributor experience. To that end, it’s time to think about stats!

For now, don’t think about the technical possibility of whether or not we can track something — we’ll figure that out later — just think about what stats would be cool to see on a regular basis (monthly, yearly) to measure the area of events. Brainstorm in the comments: any ideas are worth suggesting, so be creative!

#stats

Team Rep Election Results

Andrea Middleton and Aaron Jorbin. Congrats! The term starts with the new year, so I’ll be in touch before then to make sure everyone is on the same page regarding expectations.

17 people voted. You may remember I asked a couple of other questions on the survey to make sure voters were really the people to be represented. Here are the results of those questions, if anyone is interested.

Please describe your role with the events team.

• 9 – I am an active member of the events team, and am currently participating in one of the subcommittee projects.
  • 4 – I am not involved with the events team, but I am a WordPress event organizer.
  • 3 – I am a member of the group, but have not been assigned to a project yet.
  • 1 – I am not involved with the events team, and have not organized any WordPress events.

Subtracting the person who is not part of the group didn’t change the end result.

Check all that apply.

• 15 – I have attended WP meetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. and/or WordCamps in other places.
  • 14 – I am a member of a local WP meetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. group.
  • 14 – I have attended a local WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more..
  • 11 – I organize my local WordCamp.
  • 9 – I organize my local WP meetup group.
  • 3 – I organize other WordPress events not listed here (please specify in comments)
  • 1 – I have not been involved in organizing WordPress events.

#team-reps

Team Rep Results

6 voters. Me, Andrea Rennick as reps. We’ll start officially with the new year.

#community-management, #team-reps

Looks like the review has slowed down a…

Looks like the review has slowed down a bit. Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone. I will try to review some as we don’t celebrate Christmas down here. 🙂

#wordpress-tv

What about a logo “in” the presentation?

Hi fellow mods, I have a WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Nashville video that has good content and is well shot, etc. Basically everything you want in a WordCamp video, but the speakers have their business logo (quite large) in every slide of their presentation. That’s not something that has an easy fix, so do I move it to the trashTrash Trash in WordPress is like the Recycle Bin on your PC or Trash in your Macintosh computer. Users with the proper permission level (administrators and editors) have the ability to delete a post, page, and/or comments. When you delete the item, it is moved to the trash folder where it will remain for 30 days., look the other way (it’s kind of nondescript) or something in the middle?

What do you guys think?

#wordpress-tv

Event Planning Training Materials Update 12/19

This week we are gathering materials in the volunteers, website, and sponsors categories. If you have material that would help us build any of these resources please contact us at gmail – luke.gedeon, twitter – @lgedeon & @rosso, or in the comments on this post. If you need a fax number, let us know and we will work on it. 🙂

Volunteers

• Volunteer Wrangling Estimating how many you need, recruiting, training,
  • Volunteer Job Descriptions – Typical hours required, expectation of volunteer time, etc.

Sponsors

• Sponsorship Guide – Templates for sponsorship tiers; how to choose sponsors; guidelines (e.g. GPLGPL GPL is an acronym for GNU Public License. It is the standard license WordPress uses for Open Source licensing https://wordpress.org/about/license/. The GPL is a ‘copyleft’ license https://www.gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html. This means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms. This is in distinction to permissive free software licenses, of which the BSD license and the MIT License are widely used examples. requirement).
  • Checklist of Best Practices – A quick reference for wrangling sponsors
  • Fundraising – Who to ask, what to say, what to offer, how to make sure commitments are fulfilled.

Website

• Website Guidelines – Site map; what content you should have in place.
  • Logo and Site Design – No Fauxgo, asking for, rewarding and acknowledging volunteer designers, WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. oneword
  • WordCamp Theme – How to style, and how to use CPTs
  • Snippet Library / FAQ – Answers to questions organizers get asked a lot. Explanation for organizers and public version.

We are starting with volunteers this week so please make that the priority if you have things in multiple categories. If you have written a call for organizers and volunteers or a description of positions, or you have advice on division of labor or coordinating volunteers, we would really like to see what you have written.

#event-planning-training-materials

Does this constitute comment spam? How do we want to handle…

Hi all. I was moderating comments today, and notice 4 comments from the same person on the same video: http://wordpress.tv/2012/02/25/rebecca-haden-wordpress-seo/

EDIT: I see that they’re actually comments for two separate SEO videos. But basically two and two. You can see the comments in the dashboard; I did not approve them, so they’re easy to spot since they came one after the other.

Now, the same guy commenting back-to-back 4 times is a pretty clear case of spamming, but they are also valid comments. He clearly watched the video, and they do further the conversation. So, how do we handle this officially?

My thoughts:

• Approve none: Even though the comments are good, hey, it’s a spammer
  • Approve one: Pick the one that does the best job of furthering the conversation and trashTrash Trash in WordPress is like the Recycle Bin on your PC or Trash in your Macintosh computer. Users with the proper permission level (administrators and editors) have the ability to delete a post, page, and/or comments. When you delete the item, it is moved to the trash folder where it will remain for 30 days. the others in series (i.e., no double or serial posting allowed.)
  • Approve if good: A good comment that furthers the conversation should be posted, period. Who cares if they’re back-to-back.

Let’s vote, what do you think is the best call to make for this situation, and for future “serial commenters.”

#wordpress-tv

Hey guys is anyone on this group interested…

Hey guys, is anyone on this group interested in/able to advise a WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizer on some issues he’s having with converting/editing his WordCamp videos? It’s outside of the scope of this project, but if someone has the time and expertise to advise, I’d love to connect you with this organizer. 🙂

#halp, #wordpress-tv