I thought you guys might appreciate this I…

I thought you guys might appreciate this. I was cleaning out the comments marked as spam this morning – there were a lot of them and apparently the server thought so too, as I got this error about halfway through the deletion process. Blame Matt. Sounds good to me!

BlameMatt

In related news – spam comments should be much more manageable now.

#wordpress-tv

On the homepage I was wondering what was…

On the homepage, I was wondering what was with the Build Conference. I saw it has already happened this year in October. I am not sure who we can ask but if there is interesting video we come across, we should replace it so we get some fresh home content as well. What do you guys think? Its been there for quite sometime now.

#wordpress-tv

Event Planning Training Materials Subcommittee Weekly Update 11/29/2012

Andy will be posting these from now on, but in the meantime:

Here’s their first weekly update!

Roadmap & Roles

• Following the recommended timelines posted on November 13.
  • Only designated role is Andy as record keeper.
  • Sara uses her awesome management skills to keep record keeper on track.
  • Taking on responsibilities on a task-by-task basis.

Last Week

• Started using Skype group IM to track conversations.
  • Using Google Drive for document collaboration.
  • Compiled list of materials to be created/sourced from organizers.

This Week

• Gathering materials from WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. and MeetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. organizers.
  • Adding more deliverables to our master list. (We’re probably missing some stuff.)

#event-planning-training-materials, #weekly-update

We have Inbox Zero on pending comments Should…

We have Inbox Zero on pending comments! Should be easier to keep up with it now.

#wordpress-tv

Kickoff Meeting Notes

Just a few quick notes from our Skype meeting earlier today.

• For now, we are focused on publishing “pending” posts only.
  • 3-4 posts per day max between us.  If you see posts have already gone out for the day, schedule it for tomorrow.
  • Keep your eyes peeled for Faux-go and any sponsorship logos, which are not allowed.
  • If you see a pending post with an issue of some kind, update the title of the post to reflect what the issues is.  For example:  Uploaded Video – Faux-go in video.

Once we all get out feet wet, I’m sure there will be more issues and questions that come up. If they do, feel free to post them here if you need feedback/consensus. 

#meeting-notes, #wordpress-tv

The First Round of Subcommittees

OK, so maybe posting the membership of eleven subcommittees in a period of three days was not 100% realistic. I may have been slightly swept away with my excitement – it’s been known to happen. 🙂

I’m going to post three groups today and more in the coming weeks. If you’re added to a group that, in retrospect, you’d rather not take part in, just comment on this post so we can make changes.Once the groups are settled, I’ll ask each group to appoint/elect a notetaker to act as a point of contact and be responsible for posting weekly updates.

The first order of business will be to make a plan, set a project schedule, and assign roles/tasks. Your group might want to meet weekly or a couple times a week to brainstorm or discuss your progress. You can do this via IRC, Skype, Google hangout, or whatever works best for everyone. Once a week, your group will be asked to post an update here on your progress. If a group fails to post two weeks in a row, I’ll reach out and see how I can help the group get back on track.

WordPress.tv event video management

Remkus DeVries
Eric Mann
Jerry Bates
Chandra Maharzan
Phil Erb

Multi-event Sponsorship Program 

(I bumped the membership of this group up to 6 so that we could include a number of representatives from companies who are frequent WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. sponsors.)

Shayda Torabi
Kevin Cristiano
Al Davis
Jared Smith
Marissa Rosen
Garth Koyle

Event planning training materials

Sara Rosso
Andy McIlwain
Luke Gedeon

I’ll email each group so you’ll know how to reach each other. 🙂 Please include your roadmap and assigned roles/tasks as your first weekly update. Each following update should highlight what has happened in the past week — what progress has been made, what challenges have been faced, if there are new or departing contributors — as well as what’s planned for the week ahead.

Here’s a sample weekly subcommittee update (Thanks, Jane!):

MeetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. Galore Subcommittee Update

Past Week:

• Rolled 4 existing meetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. groups onto meetup.com central account: DC, Savannah, Atlanta, and Portland.
  • Sent 6 new meetup starter packs to new meetups: Syracuse, Augusta (GA), Napa, Limerick, Jacksonville, Renton (WA).
  • Arranged for Andrew Nacin to give a talk on APIs via google hangout to 9 meetups simultaneously.
  • Reached out to 10 meetup groups to see if they would join central account.
  • Sent projectors to meetups in Atlanta and Raleigh.

Coming Week:

• Post video of Nacin’s APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. hangout to wordpress.tv, and ask people to help transcribe it.
  • Keep up with incoming meetup group creation requests.
  • Reach out to 10 more existing groups about joining central account.
  • Reach out to Mika Epstein, Jane Wells, Lisa Sabin-Wilson, Daryl Koopersmith and Mark Jaquith about doing a meetup hangout talk in the coming months.
  • Send new meetup starter packs as needed.
  • Send out W buttons and stickers to meetups on central account.

#event-training-materials, #multi-event-sponsorship, #wordpress-tv-event-video-management

Hello World!

The Community Summit we had last month made it clear that there are dozens of people ready and willing to pitch in to make the WordPress contributor community better: more welcoming, more informed, more empowered, more diverse, more of everything good in the world. This new contributor group, the community builders, will focus on outreach, mentorship programs, and contributor engagement to make us all the “more”s listed above and then some.

There are a number of ideas that are already being talked about or are in various stages of planning or implementation. There are even more ideas that no one has verbalized yet, and some of those will be incredibly cool. To get this group kicked off, people interested in getting involved should leave a comment introducing themselves, identifying their greatest area of interest, and listing any good ideas for things we could do in the mission of the “more”s.

A note on timing: starting a big initiative right as the Nov-Dec holidays are starting is a recipe for disaster, so let’s plan to use the coming weeks for introductions, research, brainstorming, and planning, with implementation starting with the new year when people’s attention won’t be so divided. We can figure out which things we want to jump on first and create subcommittees to focus on specific initiatives/programs so that we can make the most progress. Since many if not most of our programs will likely overlap with other contributor groups, we can also use these weeks to help shore up those groups in their efforts to get more organized, better documented, etc before we start bringing in more contributors for them to wrangle.

Sound like something you want to be part of? Hit the comments!

#ideas, #introductions

Translate WordCamp guidelines

Description: All the information at plan.wordcamp.org is incredibly useful, but only if you read English. This group will translate WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. guidelines into Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, and any other languages for which there is a need.

Length of project: Phase 1: (1 week) Identify the languages for which there is the most need for translated WordCamp guidelines & recruit translators or translation teams. Phase 2: (3-4 weeks) Translate all content atplan.wordcamp.org into those languages.

Experience Required: Understanding of WordCamp guidelines. Proficiency in the target language(s) & skill with written translations. Involvement in the WordPress polyglots community is a plus.

#translate-wordcamp-guidelines

Let’s Do This!

We’ve finally posted all of the projects for the Events Contributor Group. Exciting! Please look them all over and carefully consider which ONE you’d like to work on this time around. Please volunteer for onlyone project for now; we’ve found that when people have multiple areas of focus, one or more of them suffer. Don’t worry, there will be plenty more opportunities to get involved past this initial call for volunteers.

A few projects were not posted. It seemed best to push back the Event Organizers’ Handbook project until the Events Inventory had been completed. The meet.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org//events is tabled for now, as well, pending some other work with meetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook.. If those were intriguing you, just keep an eye on this site, as I’m confident they’ll get started in the coming months.

The Meetup.com transition and administration project will make a call for contributors via an email to the meetupMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. organizers who applied to have their group become part of the WordPress Meetup.com account.

My goal is to publish proposed subgroups for each project no later than Friday, November 16. If people don’t like the composition of a particular group, we’ll try to hash it out in comments on that Friday post. Once the groups are settled, I’ll ask each group to appoint/elect a notetaker to act as a point of contact and be responsible for posting weekly updates.

We’re getting this started just as we’re going into the holidays, so it’s understandable if the project schedules slip a little bit. That being said, wouldn’t it be great to start 2013 with a lot of these projects well underway?

I can’t thank all of you enough for your eagerness to contribute and help make WordPress events better for the whole community. It’s your can-do, collaborative spirit that makes the WordPress community so amazing.

New organizer mentorship program

Description: Organizing that first event is so much work! Sleep is lost, mistakes are made, money is wasted, and awesome is reduced. Wouldn’t it be amazing if every new WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. organizer was paired up with an experienced organizer who could act as a resource and guide?

Length of Project: Phase 1 (2-4 weeks): Recruit an international pool of willing mentorsEvent Supporter Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues. and define the mentorEvent Supporter Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues.’s role. Phase 2 (ongoing): as new organizers are approved, assign each a mentor.

Experience Required: Immersion in the WordCamp community and experience running successful WordCamps within the current guidelines. Excellent communication skills.

#organizer-mentorship-program