H1 in the admin
For 4.3 there will be an H1 in the admin. #31650: Missing H1 heading in the admin. Assistive technology users look for the H1 for way finding. Though there is the page title, when AT separates out elements such as links, lists, and headings, the info needs to be there too. Two weeks ago we ran this by Mika Epstein @Ipstenu and she helped us understand heading levels and plugins. Mika spot checked some plugins and it showed that they are using H2 and her opinion is that “we can post about that in make/plugins to try and spread the word.” Thanks Mika. More work will be done on the rest of the hierarchy.
Main Open Tickets
We also briefly discussed:
- #31661: Quicktags: Can’t add them using just a keyboard in IE,
- #26601: Inappropriate content in headings on admin screens,
- #32152 List table: sortable column headers accessibility,
- #26601: Inappropriate content in headings on admin screens, and
- #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior.