These are the weekly notes for the accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) team meeting that happens on Fridays. You can read the full transcript on our Slack channel and find the meeting’s agenda here.
Continue the discussion on the team’s planned work for 5.5
The team continued discussing our planned work and projects for the 5.5 release:
These are all well underway and work and/or discussion has begun. If you are interested in collaborating and contributing to any of these efforts please feel free to ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” the team in the comments of this post or in our Slack channel.
It was recently announced that WordCamp Europe 2020 is moving online and they are now asking teams to prepare for Contributor Day.
Our team needs to plan ahead in order to make the most of this day. The activities that we need to prepare for are:
- Update the ‘Getting Started at a Contributor Day’
- Video introduction from an experienced contributor
- Plan your team tasks for the day (good first tasks vs. tasks for experienced contributors)
- Look for experienced contributors that will facilitate and help other contributors during the day
- Plan intro session
- Make a rough estimate of how many working groups your team needs during the day
- Schedule a special office hour in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. specifically targeted for new contributors (between 25 May and 3 June 2020)
We’ve created a spreadsheet to keep track of progress and status. If you’re interested in helping please reach out.
WP Accessibility Day update
Plans for WPAD are slowly moving along due to a shortage of volunteers and world events. The aim is to announce it next week.
The organizing team will create a list of microtasks, so more volunteers can get involved.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 22 at 16:30 UTC in the #accessibility-events channel in Slack.
@afercia has a proof of concept patch for ticket #40330 that adds a “Load more” button below the attachments list in the Media Library. He’s asking for feedback on the button’s behavior once all attachments have been loaded.
Please feel free to review the ticket and add your comments.