Topics of Discussion
- Settings API project
- Gutenberg editor plugin
- Browser support changes
- Screen reader text PR
- New Widgets to test
The current approach involves a redesign of the settings pages that is being discussed with some members of the design team.
The next step is to process the thoughts @helen gave use on the CSS naming conventions. See: https://github.com/wpaccessibility/settings-api-enhanced/issues/6#issuecomment-294011891
Gutenberg Editor Plugin
@afercia recommended that we install and test the plugin. Instructions are here: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
Note that it is not a conventional plugin so there are some specific steps to follow.
@afercia has submitted a few issues based on the mockups but real (a11y) testing has yet to start.
Changes in Browser support
We discussed how the browser support changes would impact the screen reader text PR. @sami.keijonen said we should not use our time so much of finding things to remove at this point. But test new things like settings API and editor and make changes as needed.
Screen reader text PR
@ffood submitted a PR to update the screen reader class in the A11y Theme Patterns repo in Github.
There was some discussion about updating the class in core as well.
We agreed to merge the PR and also open a new issue in core to modernize the class. The changes in core should take into account end of support for IE 8-9-10
Two tickets were closed this week.
- #36853: Safari and VoiceOver don’t announce repeated, identical, aria live messages – https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36853
- #31476: Semantic elements for non-link links: /wp-admin/includes/widgets.php – https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31476
There are 2 new widgets to test
- Image Widget – https://make.wordpress.org/core/2017/04/12/image-widget-merge-proposal/
- Nearby WordPress Events – https://make.wordpress.org/core/2017/04/14/nearby-wordpress-events/
Next meetings in Slack
- Team meeting on Monday, May 1 at 17:00 UTC in the Slack #accessibility channel.