Summary meeting WPa11y team, November 21 2016
Attendees: @afrecia, @cheffheid, @joedolson, @sami.keijonen, @rianrietveld, @arush, @trishasalas and @antotrifiroconaccento.
New to the meeting: Bonnie Boden (@bdd) and Terrence Gonsalves (@tegonsalves), welcome!
Plans for WP 4.8
Main focus: Settings API, Uniform search and ticket 26601:
Fixing accessibility and semantics of the settings API. Plan is to make a parallel version 2 to prevent plugins from breaking. There are a couple issues with the Settings API:
- It outputs a table with labels and form controls in table cells
- It doesn’t handle so well checkboxes, group of checkboxes, and radio buttons.
- No fieldsets or legends.
Related ticket: #38734 Dogfood the Settings API
Uniform search, related ticket: #31818 Uniform Search Form Display/Experience
Finish work in ticket #26601 Inappropriate content in headings on admin screens
ATAG means: Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0 and Joe Dolson reviewed how well the WordPress Admin does for those guidelines. He will write a report with the complete results later, here already a quick summary:
- Video/image modal does not announce selection to AT in visual editing.
- Video/image modal toolbar does not have valid labels (labels are on wrapper divs as aria-label, actually focusable element is empty)
- Method to associated video captions programmatically with media library object does not exist
- Animated Gif images should not autoplay in visual editor
- Alt attributes should be searchable in media library
- Should be possible to set custom style settings in editor
- Publishing content must not strip out added accessibility information, such as ARIA attributes
- Accessibility information should be mentioned in documentation: e.g., instructions on how to add an image should mention the need for alt attributes.
- There is no method to structure and publish accessible tables.
- There is no method to structure and publish accessible forms.
- Meta boxes order cannot be changed from the keyboard; drag and drop only
And that will mean a lot of new tickets 🙂
Next meeting will be Monday November 28 at 18:00 UTC