Attendees: @afrecia, @cheffheid, @joedolson, @sami.keijonen, @rianrietveld, @arush, @trishasalas and @antotrifiroconaccento.
New to the meeting: Bonnie Boden (@bdd) and Terrence Gonsalves (@tegonsalves), welcome!
Plans for WP 4.8
Main focus: Settings API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways., Uniform search and ticket 26601:
Fixing accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) and semantics of the settings API. Plan is to make a parallel version 2 to prevent plugins from breaking. There are a couple issues with the Settings API:
- It outputs a table with labels and form controls in table cells
- It doesn’t handle so well checkboxes, group of checkboxes, and radio buttons.
- No fieldsets or legends.
Related ticket: #38734 Dogfood the Settings API
Uniform search, related ticket: #31818 Uniform Search Form Display/Experience
Finish work in ticket #26601 Inappropriate content in headings on admin screens
ATAG means: Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0 and Joe Dolson reviewed how well the WordPress Admin does for those guidelines. He will write a report with the complete results later, here already a quick summary:
- Video/image modal does not announce selection to AT in visual editing.
- Video/image modal toolbar does not have valid labels (labels are on wrapper divs as aria-label, actually focusable element is empty)
- Method to associated video captions programmatically with media library object does not exist
- Animated Gif images should not autoplay in visual editor
- Alt attributes should be searchable in media library
- Should be possible to set custom style settings in editor
- Publishing content must not strip out added accessibility information, such as ARIA attributes
- Accessibility information should be mentioned in documentation: e.g., instructions on how to add an image should mention the need for alt attributes.
- There is no method to structure and publish accessible tables.
- There is no method to structure and publish accessible forms.
- Meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. boxes order cannot be changed from the keyboard; drag and drop only
And that will mean a lot of new tickets 🙂
Next meeting will be Monday November 28 at 18:00 UTC