This is a list of current tickets with the accessibility focus in WordPress 4.0. So that we can get the most important issues done earlier, allowing for better iteration and testing, I’m prioritizing the tickets according to severity.
Please don’t read this in any way as a listing of importance: all of these issues are important, but some issues have a greater impact and/or require more testing to make sure they’re done right, and these issues are getting higher priority.
These issues may prevent a user with disabilities from installing or using WordPress
New in 4.0:
- #28858 New installation: Language Selector
This should get very high priority, as this feature will be a new user’s first introduction to WordPress, and will set the tone for all further experiences.
These issues may prevent a user with disabilities from using a specific feature in WordPress.
New in 4.0:
- #28822 Media Grid: Focus doesn’t change when tabbing through selected items
- #28857 Media Grid: Manage focus when toggling between the grid and an edit attachment modal
- #28892 Customizer – Widgets – Feedback for screen reader users when Moving widgets + other actions
- #28888 Customizer – Widgets – Screen Readers Don’t Announce Widget Names
- #26167 Plugin activation links need to contain plugin name and the “Plugin” column should be marked as row header
Add Media Experience:
- #23560 Keyboard Accessibility of Add Media Panel
- #28209 Links inside help tabs (help-tab-content) are not keyboard accessible
- #25103 Submit buttons on form fields in the Add Media panel
- #23562 Using Speech Recognition Software with the Add Media Panel
- #28864 Cannot access edit menu options with keyboard inside Image Editor
The Add Media panel and related experiences are a huge part of the day-to-day interaction with WordPress, so these should also get high priority.
- #20880 Keyboard navigation in Appearance > Header is broken
- #27592 Screen Reader Users Do Not Know Widgets are Expandable
- #27593 Widgets: Toggle arrows on focus need an indicator beside color alone
- #27555 Make tag post meta box more accessible
- #26600 Search installed themes input has no submit button
- #26550 Some anchor links should be buttons in media microtemplates
- #18801 Accessibility Enhancements to Settings API
These issue impact front-end user experience, and have enormous impact on the visitors to sites built with WordPress.
- #15926 Give header and background images alt tags
- #24148 Add aria-labelledby attributes to comment form
- #21221 Image title and alt attribute content should be texturized.
- #27402 Add aria-describedby to image gallery output
- #27645 MediaElement.js player & playlist not keyboard accessible
- #16433 Extend function to optionally include commenter name in comment_reply_link
- #18650 Make archives and categories widgets dropdown ada compliant
These issues should not generally prevent a user from using a feature, but will make it more difficult to use.
- #28976 Add Media Panel: Announce context of close button for screen readers
- #28867 Correctly label forms in wp_list_table
- #26552 Remove title attributes: default-widgets.php
- #26758 Edit Tags form on submission does not stay at the same page and gets redirected
- #25111 Keyboard focus does not stay within Full Screen Editor modal
- #26562 Remove title attributes: class-wp-admin-bar.php
- #26504 Semantic elements for non-link links
- #27609 change ‘<code>’ to ‘<pre>’ in wp-includes/comment-template.php
- #21414 Use the “Keyboard Shortcuts” checkbox in the user profile to turn on/off all custom shortcuts
- #26601 Inappropriate content in heading on Themes page
- #26551 Remove title attributes: link-template.php
- #26560 Remove title attributes: rss.php