It’s been a couple of weeks. We’ve been heads down getting stuff done.
So, where are we at?
Here’s the existing dashboard:
Here’s what our new dashboard looks like:
We removed one widget:
- Incoming links (which doesn’t really work anymore)
We combined several widgets:
- “WordPress Blog”, “Other WordPress News”, and “Plugins” as combined to form the new “WordPress News” plugin.
- “Recent Comments” was merged into the new “Activity” widget, which now also shows you any scheduled posts and your last 5 most recently published posts.
- “QuickPress” was changed to “Quick Drafts”, and we merged in “Recent Drafts”.
Plus we worked on a few additional things:
- The Right Now widget was simplified.
- We removed the “Number of columns” screen option. Instead the dashboard is now responsive, and shows the appropriate number of columns based on your screen resolution.
- We replaced the “Dashboard” H2 title with a fun group of friendly welcome text and idioms.
- The new “Activity” widget will be hookable, so plugin authors can easily add additional info to it.
- There’s a fun little smiley if you delete all posts and comments
- Code reviews. If you have time over the weekend, please look over our code. If you spot something, and need commit access to the plugin, just ping me in IRC. I’ll be doing a code review of my own (but I’m not a PHP developer, so we could still use your help). We’d like to have this code core-ready by Monday.
- We still need to write new help tab text for each of these dashboard widget changes.
- I’ll be adding the “Activity” widget hooks this weekend.