It’s summary time.
Now… What exactly are we trying to accomplish with all of this?
It’s important to note that we have to think about these discoveries in the context of the typical WP user. But to be honest, I’m not entirely sure I know what the “typical WP user” looks like (but I hope to dig into that over the next couple of months ). Sure, I have assumptions, as I’m sure you do, but my assumptions aren’t backed by any sort of data.
The important thing to keep in mind here is that these 3 people were paid to perform a list of tasks. While we can benefit from watching their interactions (and looking for patterns of complexity/confusion), we need to recognize that the flow they follow is prescribed, and likely different in some ways from an actual user.
Overview of discoveries
Here’s an unfiltered list of observations across all of the tests:
- Had trouble figuring out how the color selector worked (x3)
- Unsure what “QuickPress” was
- Unsure where “1 post”, “1 page” came from under “Right Now”
- Had lots of trouble finding a link to view their site
- User clicked “Select files” when they actually had a URL to paste (and should have used the “From URL” tab). (x3)
Post Add New
- Lost all changes when she clicked a link taking her away from the new post page (after already making some changes)
- Didn’t notice “Insert into post” button when adding an image in the media modal
- Clicked “Preview” button, but didn’t realize a new tab had opened (causing confusion)
- Doesn’t appear to be a clear path for users that just wish to post a photo
- Had trouble knowing where to go to change her site title (x3)
- User didn’t notice links in toolbar (x2)
- User never noticed “+ new” dropdown (x2)
- The blog dropdown menu is completely different when in the admin vs. on site (should it be?)
- Confusion over why the header image was changing (x2)
This is where I need your insight/input.
1) First, is there anything that you noticed that’s not on this list?
2) Next, which of these do you think we should attempt to address (are there any quick wins that would benefit all WP users)?
3) If you had to prioritize your list, what would you tackle first?
I’ll hold off for a day before I post my thoughts. Don’t be shy! I’d love to hear what you think.