WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Support Everything WordPress

Updates from Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 5:59 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , guidelines,   

    Discussion: A Better Do and Don’t List 

    The following are cribbed from another site’s Dos and Don’ts. They should not be considered the be all and end all of guidelines, but they’re a good start. I’m thinking that perhaps a simplified ‘dos and dont’s’ list may help some people who see our massive list of guidelines and panic.

    This list is not perfect and I want your help

    Please suggest changes and improvements. I don’t want to make it much longer, so if we can consolidate and combine, that would be good. There’s no point in even trying to get through everything, so really I’m trying to spell out the basics of etiquette on the forums.

    Good Manners and Respect Dos and Don’ts

    • DON’T use “um,” be snotty to another user, or make the argument personal
    • DO know the difference between differences of opinion and personal attacks
    • DO treat others the way you want to be treated
    • DON’T present your opinions as facts
    • DON’T post the same opinion over and over in the hopes of wearing other people down or “winning” a discussion; just move on
    • DON’T be a gosh-darn dirty spammer
    • DON’T be vulgar; if you’re not sure, don’t say it

    Starting New Threads Dos and Don’ts

    • DO search for existing topics before starting new threads
    • DO make a new topic if you find yourself saying “I have the same problem but …”
    • DO link back to a related topic (or closed) when approriate
    • DON’T use all-caps or excessive punctuation in thread titles
    • DON’T treat the support forums as your personal blog
    • DON’T get all meta and use the forums to rant about the forums

    Posting Messages Dos and Don’ts

    • DON’T post in a thread until you’ve read the whole thread
    • DON’T post “Me Too!” messages; add something of substance to the conversation
    • DON’T sign your posts
    • DO use proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation, et cetera
    • DON’T post just to pimp your site or product, et cetera
    • DON’T post the same thing in multiple areas; pick a spot and go with it

    Warnings, Bans and Trolls Dos and Don’ts

    • DO take any mod warnings you get seriously
    • DON’T bug the mods to remove moderation on your posts
    • DO help us out and report trolls, flame wars, and troublemakers by tagging a post with “modlook”
    • DON’T abuse the modlook tag
     
    • Andrew Nevins 6:18 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I don’t think we need a manners bit, we can just assume everyone knows what manners are.

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 7:09 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        That isn’t entirely the point of that section. We know what manners are, but a lot of people fall short on applying them, so a quick “Hey yo, remember this stuff?” is clearly needed. If not, there would be far fewer people being moderated :)

    • Drew Jaynes (DrewAPicture) 6:19 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Are these for forum posters or moderators? I keed I keed. I was thinking about something like this last night, actually.

      I realize this is a work in progress, and I think even this list is too long. We can pare some of these out. Some of these are good but multi-part where I feel like some of the parts are just common sense and don’t need to be said.

      So for instance, “DON’T use “um,” be snotty to another user, or make the argument personal” could probably just be “DON’T make things personal”, etc.

    • Andrew Nevins 6:21 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      And for this bit “DO search for existing topics before starting new threads”, I’ve heard people say “I searched first, just like the forum welcome said, then I found a thread and posted my issue there” – So that may need to be clarifying too

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 7:11 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Yeah, I think that would be “DO search for existing topics first, they may already have the solution” – Because we DO want you to search first so we don’t repeat the same things over and over :)

    • kmessinger 6:22 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I would put all the do’s first in each section.

    • Andrew Nevins 6:26 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      What about a bit saying “Do help volunteers help you. If someone asks you a question that you may find pointless it may turn out to be an important step in a debugging process” – You know when people complain that you’re asking pointless questions

    • Kathryn Presner 8:22 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Don’t post anything you may not want found in Google searches in the future, such as personal information, your phone number, your client’s name, etc.

      Don’t ever post login details for your site.

    • Kathryn Presner 8:24 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Do take the time to do some basic troubleshooting before posting. That may include deactivating all plugins, switching to a default theme temporarily, looking at your site in a different browser, or anything else that might rule out culprits for your issue.

    • TheHandOfCod 10:46 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      At the risk of being controversial I would say that list is too long. IMO people will read the first set and then move on. I would suggest that the people who come here are generally looking for help and often(maybe) want to get that help asap. I would therefore suggest you cut the list down to the 10 most heinous crimes and then have a disclaimer saying that there are more with a link to a more detailed post on etiquette. The top 10 being 5 Do’s and 5 Don’ts ?

      • Jan Dembowski 11:44 pm on March 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        I agree with keeping it concise when possible but it’s not about heinous crimes (I need to use the phrase at work tomorrow, thanks ;) ).

        I mean, you could summarize this as

        • Do provide the level of support and help that you would want
        • Don’t respond in a way that you wouldn’t like

        But that wouldn’t make for a useful list…

    • Chris Olbekson 4:16 am on March 28, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Nice list. I would also love to see a link to an article Michael wrote a few years ago which should be must reading for helpers and helpees. http://michaelbox.net/2012/05/welcome-aboard-support-channels/

    • Andrew Nevins 7:40 am on March 28, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Will this list be links that go to other parts of the page in more detail?

    • Adrian Houle 5:18 am on April 10, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I subscribed to the email list. Will i be notified of the meeting?

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 11:07 pm on December 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Trac Tickets for 3.8 (AKA: Support Works Backwards) 

    I made a ticket for a weird caching issue: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26676

    I think the ONLY other one that’s jumping out now is the plugins page is blank. If you’ve managed to solve that one (all I can see is ‘host fixed it!’), reply here. This is probably related to @andrea_r‘s comment: http://make.wordpress.org/support/2013/12/wherefore-the-wtfbbq-post/#comment-157012

     
    • Samuel Wood (Otto) 11:15 pm on December 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      This is a problem that was found in the forums and turned out to be a legitimate core bug:

      http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26627

      Warning signs: People (or plugins/themes) using the pre_get_posts filter combined with the is_category() check can trigger the issue.

      It is a regression from 3.7 behavior, so I think that it will probably be fixed in 3.8.1. In the meantime, there is a patch in the ticket.

    • Andrea Rennick 9:58 pm on December 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      ALso seeing issues with people unable to manage widgets. COuld be user error, dunno.

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 7:46 pm on December 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Wherefore the WTFBBQ Post? 

    I made a conscious decision not to make one for 3.8. Not because I think the release was perfect, but because there wasn’t enough to make a post. There barely was last time. As long as we here are prepared.

    http://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/forum-moderator/stock-answers/ has the stock replies, so I think… for the most part we;re going to be alright :)

     
    • Christine 7:50 pm on December 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      So far 3.8 has been great. I haven’t seen anything blow up or gone awry.

    • Jan Dembowski 8:54 pm on December 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      It’s all good. ;) There’s a thread or two about the 3.8 admin interface CSS but that seems to be going alright. That was expected since changing the look or styling always gets a small but vocal group of people who don’t like those changes.

      Aside from that it’s been great.

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 9:32 pm on December 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        “I don’t like MP6″ and “I don’t like TwentyFourteen” are not ‘bugs’ so they don’t really deserve to be made much of in this case. Same thing happened in 3.0 and 3.1 when we moved things around.

    • Andrea Rennick 12:09 am on December 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I actually went looking for this because we’re seeing a few tickets with plugin & widget issues. Like.. things disappearing. No I don’t have enough info yet.

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 5:26 pm on October 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: omgwtfbbq   

    Lets Get Ready for 3.7! 

    Normally I do an OMGWTFBBQ post. Here’s everything in my current draft, ready for editing by everyone!

    The first section is ‘Stuff we, as mods, should be aware of.’ The second is the post itself :)

    Major changes

    Auto Upgrader
    * How to disable
    * In order for Automatic Updates to be enabled, there are a few simple requirements:
    * If the install uses FTP for updates (and prompts for credentials), automatic updates are disabled
    * If the install is running as a SVN or GIT checkout, automatic updates are disabled
    * If the constants DISALLOW_FILE_MODS or AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED are defined, automatic updates are disabled
    * If the constant WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE is defined as false, automatic updates are disabled
    * Your WordPress install also needs to be able to contact WordPress.org over HTTPS connections, so your PHP install also needs OpenSSL installed and working
    * Wp-Cron needs to be operational, if for some reason cron fails to work for your install, Automatic Updates will also be unavailable
    * What gets updated?
    * What changed. ONLY changed files!
    * Only for minor releases (3.7 to 3.7.1 but NOT 3.7.1 to 3.8)

    Less Major Changes

    • Better search results
    • Password meter
    • Visual editor (TinyMCE) updated for Internet Explorer compatibility

    Under the Hood

    • New dev tools
    • New author queries
    • Multisite finally has a way to get an array of all sites on the network
    • Better inline documentation
    • Better date sorting in the posts page

    For the post…. (More …)

     
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum 5:51 pm on October 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Hello, I saw the link to this page over on #wordpress-sfd.

      Under the subheading Don’t Panic: it is discussing not posting multiple times. I believe that “Post one” should be “Post once” or “Post one time”

      Further down, there is a sentence about not liking the design of the WordPress Admin design. At the end of that sentence it says “…does not a bug make.” I would go with “does not make a bug.”

      There are some troubleshooting steps just above the subheading Core Changes. One of them covers manual upgrading. In this sentence “…download a fresh copy of the latest.zip file of 3.5.” Should 3.5 be 3.7?

      Under the subheading Not a Bug, it is talking about auto-updates. I think that “migitage security issues” should be “mitigate security issues”

      Hope this helps!


      Lorenzo

    • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 5:55 pm on October 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      • once -> once :)
      • “…does not a bug make.” is a kind of a joke, it’s common in US English to say it that way.
      • Yes, 3.5 -> 3.7 *facepalm* I copy paste this sometimes.
      • Mitigate fixed!
    • Amy Hendrix (sabreuse) 7:51 pm on October 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Twenty Fourteen is scheduled for 3.8 (yeah, I know, it’s in trunk for anyone running nightlies etc, but it won’t be seen when people upgrade to 3.7 on normal installs)

    • Nick Halsey 8:33 pm on October 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Switch to the Twenty Eleven theme should probably be updated to Thirteen or at least Twelve, since new installs don’t even get Eleven as of 3.6.

    • Daedalon 7:22 pm on October 23, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      “While you may disagree with this rational,”

      I believe there’s an e missing from the end of “rationale”.

    • Daedalon 7:23 pm on October 23, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      “While you may disagree with this rational,”

      I believe there’s an e missing in the end of “rationale”.

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 5:30 pm on August 29, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Meetup Roundup – Aug 29 

    New Rep

    When @jdembowski gets back from his Griswald European Vacation, I’ll catch him up and hand over.

    Handling Commercial Products

    The ‘official’ stance is this: It’s best to go to where the theme/plugin is officially supported when trying to get support.

    This means, if someone chooses to help you with a CSS question, that’s on them, unless the product is violating the GPL. Then it’s messy and ugly, and we really should not mess with it. But we, as members of the community in general, no matter our role, need to remember not to assume the worst of people, and be helpful, even when saying no.

    If you want some boilerplate reply, the .wetry reply on IRC comes up with this:

    We try our best to help everyone with any WordPress problem. However, due to the great variety of existing themes and plugins it is nearly impossible to know everything. Your best chance is to contact the developer for support.

    IRC ‘Rockstar’ Clarification

    There was a little confusion about the IRC Rockstar thing last week, so I wanted to go over it for (hopefully) clarification. The people who were nominated are not automatically becoming OPs on #wordpress. What they are, are identified people who are willing to help keep make/support updated with #wordpress issues and concerns. OPs has been split out to a separate concern cause everyone gets a little twitchy when we talk about giving people that much power. My personal critera would be someone who is active in IRC, but also other WordPress areas (like comes to some of the other meetups, contributes in trac with comments and/or code, etc).

    There’s no real limit to the list of rockstars, though :)

    @peterbooker and @fris – If you’re interested in this, the ‘job’ currently comes with author role on this blog, so you can post issues/concerns, and if possible attend our IRC chats. Reply to this post and let me know. A ‘no’ answer is totally okay too!

     
  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 3:34 pm on August 23, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Support & Docs Team 

    Please read @siobhan‘s post at make/docs concerning the Docs and Support Teams

    The tl;dr is this:

    Therefore we propose the following:

    • Docs and Support remain separate teams each with their own P2 and rep
    • we expect that there will be some crossover
    • until it becomes impracticable, we’ll keep our chat at the same time, Thursday 16:00 UTC . This will allow any crossover to take place.

    I expect there will remain a LOT of crossover.

     
    • Robert Lilly 6:25 pm on August 23, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      What do you see as the main crossover areas? Since the two teams will remain separate, what do you suggest for an optimal way of handling the crossover to minimize duplication of effort?

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 12:29 am on August 24, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Main crossover will be like when supporters find docs that are wrong, either in the course of researching an answer, or when someone says “Hey, the codex says…” In general, it’s safe to just update the codex, but do those things need to be up-streamed to the docs team?

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 5:45 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , , recap   

    Meetup Roundup 

    Brought to the discussion … a lot of things!

    IRC

    Representation
    Representation is a weird issue. Being a rep does not mean you’re the most active person in all aspects of Support. It means you’re taking notes in meetings (hi), keeping track of other groups, reporting back here with things we need to know, and reporting out there what they need to know. That said, IRC is a lost child.

    Unlike the forums, we can’t (easily) add people as OP (Operators, it’s equivalent to forum admins) in IRC as @photomatt holds the keys, and having him add random people would be bad. But we do need a way to appoint people to help bring issues in IRC that the rep needs to know about back to the masses. As a mid-way point, the current proposal is as follows!

    Regular contributors who are active and helpful in #wordpress will be recognized as ‘Moderators’ or ‘IRC Rockstars’ and expected to :

    1) try and attend #wordpress-sfd meetups and report on the goings on
    2) follow this blog (and make/docs)
    3) post to make/support as needed for issues (such as hacks, wp bugs, issues with other irc groups as they come up to ‘pass information up the chain’)

    The proposed Rockstars are: @zogot @clorith @pixolin @tw2113 @kenshino @john-c and @angela

    If you were nominated, please leave a comment saying if you accept or not so I can add you here as an editor :) I need the reply so I can get your email and add you here. It’s totally okay to say ‘no thanks’ and saying yes does NOT mean you get OP access to #wordpress, just that you get a fancy invisible title :) You will not be expected to do weekly reports to make/updates, just be active and report upstream.

    It’s important to note: The is exactly the same responsibilities that support forum admins and mods are expected to have. Not being listed doesn’t mean you’re not awesome. Remember, there are some expectations with the ‘job’. If you’re interested and think you’d do a good job and can fulfill those expectations, leave a comment :)

    Based on how this works out, I’ll try and buttonhole @photomatt about how to handle OPs, since IRC doesn’t have ‘mods’ or titles, which really would work well too. (Part of why we need some more OPs is to handle stuff like bot attacks, flooding, etc).

    Doc Bot

    When it needs updates or changes and stuff, it’s hard to track. Per @pixolin‘s suggestions, and considering workflows, we’ve made : http://make.wordpress.org/support/irc-doc-bot/

    You can follow that page via IRC, and @sivel can mark off things as done. The P2 powers means starting a line with ‘o’ makes it a checkbox.

    IRC Support Docs

    Going forward, the Support Handbook will get more pages added to it specifically about IRC and how to handle things and so on. I’ll start reaching out to folks about that, but volunteers welcome! I’m not super IRC skilled, so I will need help!

    The IRC Rockstars will be listed on those pages, for ‘official’ reckoning.

    Next Support Rep

    Everyone seems okay with @JDembowski (who didn’t say ‘no’ ;) ) so we’ll be doing that. I will still be around as a Forum Rockstar and still in IRC, so this isn’t like I’m LEAVING, it’s just stepping back from one responsibility: reporting. I’ll be Jan’s backup/sidekick/mentor after all :)

    Behavior

    Remember you represent WordPress when you step up to answer anyone’s question. Don’t be mean, don’t accuse people, and remember you don’t have to answer every question. If someone’s behaving badly in the forums, use the ‘modlook’ tag and walk away. If you need help, use the wp-forums email list and just ask someone to take a look. (IRC folks, you can use this too!)

    Conjoined Twins: Docs and Support

    Initially, @siobhan and I were all gung-ho about merging teams. We were wrong. Right now we’re working on a proposal that will be posted either here or on make/updates about how the teams will work. But we’re going to keep our separate reps and p2s. Do expect that there will remain a lot of crossover between the teams. We’re like virtual co-teams.

    Chat times will not be changing at this point, so Support and Docs will remain Thursdays at 1600 UTC. If it remains this busy (and really this week was BUSY), we may split times when @JDembowski takes over based on his availability.

    Whew. Can I nap now?

     
    • Kenshino 5:50 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I accept

    • Leon Rowland 5:52 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +Signed

    • Michael Beckwith 5:58 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Accepted

    • Clorith 5:59 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I too, accept.

    • pixolin 6:23 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Thank you very much, Mika, for handling this topic.
      I will be glad to assist.

    • Jen Mylo 7:16 pm on August 22, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Both Nacin and I deal with getting people ops privileges on official channels when needed (usually by asking our awesome contributor @sivel to make it so).

      @ipstenu: If you want to give one of us a couple of names of long-term trusted contributors who are interested in taking on the IRC ops responsibility, we can make that happen. Take a week or two to figure out who the right people are and let us know.

    • pixolin 9:36 am on August 24, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      @ipstenu
      I have the strong feeling, we have missed out two true support-rockstars, who already have helped so many users and certainly have a deeper knowledge of WordPress than I do : fris (from Canada) and peterbooker (from the UK).
      I know this doesn’t shorten the list. if you have the feeling, it gets too long, scratching my name certainly won’t hurt my feelings nor change my attitude towards the chatroom.

    • pixolin 9:50 am on August 24, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I have the strong feeling, we have missed out two true support-rockstars, who have helped so many users and certainly have a deeper knowledge of WordPress than I do : fris (from Canada) and peterbooker (from the UK).
      If you have the feeling, the list gets too long, please feel free to scratch my name (which certainly won’t hurt my feelings nor change my attitude towards the chatroom).

      • Kenshino 10:57 am on August 24, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        I’m guilty of missing the names. There are likely more.

        Perhaps this makes the selection difficult. But I have the same sentiments as pixolin, they should be named. Also, if needed, my name can be scratched off too.

        Cheers!

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 4:15 pm on August 26, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Just keep in mind, the only ‘power’ you get right now is the fun power to post here. Which is more of a responsibility than a power :) Ditto coming to the IRC chats. I’ll be talking to @jenmylo after this week’s chat to sort out who we should possibly add as IRC mods.

    • Peter Booker 7:31 pm on August 24, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      While I would be happy to take on the responsibility, if it comes down to a choice I don’t think I can stand level with the contributions and range of experience provided by pixolin, Clorith and Zogot in my timezone. fris is a big presence in #wordpress though and should be seriously considered.

      I also wanted to say thank you to Ipstenu and the others for being so welcoming in the #wordpress-sfd meeting, it was very informative and helped me to understand the process much better. I think it also helped to alleviate the worries the IRC side of support had.

    • Angela 12:01 pm on August 25, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Of course. How can I say no? Everyone’s here already!

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 2:18 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Proposal from IRC: Changes to doc-bot commands 

    The following is from http://codex.wordpress.org/Talk:IRC/wp-doc-bot, and was part of an IRC discussion. We can talk about this some more in this week’s SFD chat (1600 UTC at #wordpress-sfd, please come if you’re an IRC person!) and get a more updated summary. This one appears to be a couple years old and haphazzardly tacked on.

    .first

    New text after release of WordPress 3.6:

    Please disable or delete all plugins and switch to the default theme (Twenty Thirteen since 3.6). After making these changes does the problem still occur? If no, re-enable everything one by one to see which component causes the problem.

    .firebug

    After many browsers added their own developer tools this doc-bot command seems somewhat deprecated.

    May I suggest to add a new command .inspect instead:

    .inspect – Tells the user to inspect code using developer tools of his browser

    Text to show up after bot command: Please use the built-in Developer Tools of your browser to fix problems with your website. Right click your page and pick “Inspect Element” (Cr, FF, Op) or press F12-button (IE) to track down CSS problems. Use the console to see JavaScript bugs.


    .proprietary

    This doc-bot command covers third party plugins and themes, especially with code not being publicly accessible, hence making it impossible to help.

    As an inversion of that argument, some users seem to expect answers to their themes or plugins as granted, when the plugin or theme was downloaded from wordpress.org (“But it isn’t proprietary, so you *must* support me.”). For such cases, I would suggest following new doc-bot command:

    .wetry

    Tells the user not to expect support for each and every plugin or theme available at WordPress.org

    Text to show up after bot command: We try our best, yet from a great variety of existing themes and plugins it is nearly impossible to know all. Your best chance is to contact the developer for support.

    As a non-native speaker I would appreciate any improvement on the wording.

    Pixolin, May 17th 2013


    Feature Proposals

    • [nick] and [command] shortcodes that display the nick or command, e.g. “[user], please do foo”
    • Aliasing through a bot command (btw. could this be as simple as learn foo:[alias=bar]?)
    • str_replace of text, something like “replace #evil#inherently insecure#”
    • Alternate versions of info texts, like “Congratulations [user]! You have won (the US Presidency|a 300 baud modem)!
    • Bot actions, so that the bot runs /me slaps [user] around a bit with a large trout

    Nkuttler 10:51, 10 September 2010 (UTC)

    In /query, allow !list or !help (or something to that effect) to respond with a list of the existing one-word commands. (Saves referencing the Codex or other source when adding a new command.)

    Please leave comments with suggestions as to new commands you’re interested in, or improvements to the ones we have.

     
    • Siobhan 11:50 am on August 21, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      A few suggestions:

      .make/[make-blog] to post a link to a specific make blog

      • would it be possible to link this to the code reference once that’s up and running? That could be very cool
  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 6:36 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Team Reps – 2013 Proposal 

    We’ve been asked to propose new reps. I’m going to recommend Jan D. (aka @jdembowski ) because he’s very active in the forums and has a finger on the pulse of what’s going on there. That said, in light of his work being a dink and not letting him IRC, I’m willing to act as his ‘mentor’ and fill in at IRC time.

    Responsibilities.

    1. Posting weekly update – NOTE: Support and Docs will SHARE a post on Fridays. Each rep will be responsible for their half, but are expected to keep up to date with the other group.
    2. Representing the team in interactions with other teams
    3. Putting together the agenda for weekly meetings
    4. Moderating IRC weekly meetings
    5. Posting on support the outcomes of meetings as needed.

    In all cases, delegation to someone else when those cannot be met for whatever reason.

    This needs to be sorted by Tuesday (sorry for the short notice, we’re WordPress), so please +1/-1 as needed. If you want to nominate yourself, or someone else, go for it :)

     
    • Kim Parsell 6:41 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1 to Jan D. as the support team rep. (I’m a volunteer moderator, so I get to vote here, right?)

    • Chris Olbekson 6:43 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1 for Jan after he’s had his coffee. Or even before :) He would make a great team rep!

    • cubecolour 7:57 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1 for Jan

    • Jan Dembowski 8:20 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1 for myself on condition of coffee. (It’s an important condition, really is…)

    • Siobhan 11:00 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1 for Jan. :)

    • Christine 5:32 pm on August 17, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1Million for Jan. He’s the most patient reasonable person I haven’t had the pleasure to meet. :)

    • hanni 11:51 am on August 19, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      +1 again for Jan

    • Kenshino 10:45 am on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Pardon me if I’m posting this in the wrong place.

      Hello, I’m not usually on the forums but there are a few of us quite active on IRC doing support. People like Zogot, Clorith, pixolin, angela, john-c, popvuluh, tw2113 and definitely much more I am missing out as I’m on GMT+8, support developers on a nearly daily basis.

      I wonder if there should be an IRC Team or someone looking after the IRC peeps?

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 1:24 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        You should come to the Support meetings in #wordpress-sfd

        We actually spent a couple months ASKING everyone there to come, and not many did, though some of the names you mention are our regulars. You’re all welcome, and we would love to have you :) meetup is 1600 UTC on Thursday.

    • Whirl3d 10:48 am on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Is there any particular reason that probably the single most useful resource for WordPress anything is completely ignored? I mean I spend every day learning about Word Press in real time on #wordpress IRC and it’s as though the channel doesn’t even exist. The information we receive is coming from people who work with WordPress every day and who are experienced with everything from theme development to core changes.

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 1:25 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        It’s not ignored, I lurk there pretty much all day, as do many others (with so many things to juggle its hard to be ACTIVE in all things at once though). IRC is and has always been included in Support, now they may not like it or appreciate it, but we do try to get them more involved…

    • pixolin 11:52 am on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      In May of this year we talked in #wordpress about additional commands und updates for the channel bot. A proposal was made and Sivel, the channel founder who runs doc-bot on his private server, was informed.

      Unfortunately, Sivel hasn’t had any time to take care of the changes so far, nor had any other user access to his server to change the doc-bot commands accordingly. Which is why the question came up, wether it would be possible to e.g. host the doc-bot code on Github and collect proposals there. The channel bot should be hosted on a server belonging to WordPress foundation (and not a single user) and a number of selected members (including some people being online during European/Asian business hours) should be in charge to commit code. (Hence the upcoming question for representatives for IRC chat, too.)

      I believe this would be a great service for us users on #wordpress … and hopefully a relief for Sivel, who has spend many hours to build up and support the channel.

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 1:26 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Hey @sivel do you know what this one is about? I can’t find the proposal. If you can link to it, that would be great. Pretty much all official communications end up on the P2s for posterity.

    • pixolin 1:52 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      you can find the proposals at http://codex.wordpress.org/Talk:IRC/wp-doc-bot

      • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 2:14 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Well that would be why no one saw ‘em *sigh* There are just too many places where we try to have these discussions, which is why we made the P2s to consolidate. I will pull that in as it’s own post for everyone to discuss here :) You can leave comments on that and we’ll see where it goes!

        • pixolin 2:24 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          Sorry for using an “unofficial” communication channel, but nevertheless I spoke to sivel personally to address our ideas. He told me, he was too busy, which I of course respect. Later I talked to ViperBond, but he told me he couldn’t do anything about it either. I then tried to reach you, Mika, in IRC, but you told me, you were too busy, too. Since that day I have given up.

          • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 2:26 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

            It’s not that it’s unofficial, it’s that if no one knows to look, we don’t see it.

            Doesn’t matter. I’m glad we finally caught up with it. Next time, please come to the scheduled IRC chat (does that time work for you? 1600 UTC?)

    • keesiemeijer 9:46 pm on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      A bit late, but +1 for Jan from me as well.

  • Ipstenu (Mika Epstein) 1:29 pm on August 2, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: 3.6   

    WP 3.6 – jQuery Can’t Math 

    Tl;dr – if you have old chunks of code, the older blockUI check is mathematically wrong, though human-logical correct.

    Many plugins have a good/bad check for your version of jQueryUI, and know they have to be newer than 1.2.3 … Which 1.10.x IS but you know how PHP/JS math goes, right? Right. We have some plugins who need to update. Not a WP problem, and not something devs would have logically known to look for.

    Annoying, and I’m sure a LOT of plugins are using 3rd party code for this.

    The Master List has been updated, but please correct it if I missed anything or got info wrong.

    /CC @nacin

     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel