Beta 2 of the giant WordPress for Android update with new Media library, Stats, Themes, and PIN lock features is out now. If you haven’t joined up with the beta yet, just request to join our group on Google+ to get access to download the beta:
Updates from Dan Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
The Android team had a chat about the upcoming releases, here’s what the current plan is:
- September 16th: Beta release for Pin Lock, Media, Stats and Themes (hopefully via HockeyApp).
- September 23rd: Release if the beta went well. If there’s fixes needed, the launch will need to bump to October 7th.
- October 7th: Beta release for Native Reader and NUX.
- October 21st-ish: Release Native Reader and NUX.
The patches keep coming in (thanks @aagam94!), so we’ll keep doing releases of WPAndroid There’s some fun features in this build:
- You can now add or edit the post excerpt in the app.
- Adds support for adding images from the Picasa/Google+ folders in the gallery app.
Pretty cool stuff, and now you have something to do over the weekend! Test the Beta.
A new beta of WordPress for Android is ready! This release has some great updates to selecting and adding categories:
- You can now remove individual categories from a post instead of being forced to clear them all out at once.
- The category selection view is now properly sorted by sub categories.
- Adding a new category will be properly inserted in the category list instead of at the bottom.
- Adding a new category won’t clear your currently selected categories any longer.
It also includes some minor bug fixes as well. Tap here to install the latest build!
If all goes well we will release this on Monday as version 2.4.3. Here’s some screenshots of the new category views:
WPAndroid is getting a few changes this week:
- Updated the menu drawer library to the latest version, which allows us to do the ‘overlay’ effect for the navigation drawer to match up with the latest google apps.
- ‘View Admin’ has been moved to the settings, this is because many users were getting lost in the ‘View Admin’ area, thinking it was the actual app (MP6 was a big reason for this).
- The way you save a local draft has been improved to fit in better with other Android apps. Instead of using the disk icon in the action bar to save a post, there’s now the ‘paper airplane’ icon there that signifies that the post will always be uploaded when that button is pressed. When pressing back or the ‘up’ key, there is now a prompt to save your changes or discard. If the user chooses ‘Save’, the post will be saved locally. The ‘Local Draft’ option has also been removed from the post status spinner since it is no longer needed.
- Lastly, there’s a number of bugs fixed, mostly related to the Notifications area.
The latest APK can be found here: http://iosbuilds.automattic.com/builds/android/
Here’s some screenshots of some of the changes:
Looking for something to do this weekend? Version 2.4 of WordPress for Android is ready for testing. This release adds an all-new notifications view as well as integration with Google Cloud Messaging so that you can get notified as soon as something happens on your blog.
We’re looking for a few brave folks to try this out. Keep in mind that it is beta software. To take advantage of the new notifications feature, you’ll need to have a site at WordPress.com or be running the Jetpack plugin on your self-hosted site. You can find the WordPress.com sign in on the Settings page of the app.
We’ve also added some smaller new features as well:
- Added new menu button that conforms to the new Holo guidelines for menu drawers announced at Google I/O last week.
- Moved settings and sign out option to overflow menu
After you install the update and are signed in to WordPress.com you should start receiving notifications when stuff happens on your site. You can leave an anonymous comment on your blog to test it out if you aren’t getting much traffic at the moment
Please give it a try and comment here if you have any issues or suggestions!
2.4 Beta APK: http://bit.ly/172QxOy
Weekly dev chat summary for Feb 27, 2013
- WPWindowsPhone app upgrades
- WPAndroid UI progress
- Handbook progress
WPWindowsPhone app upgrades
Version 2.0 has been approved! We are working on the launch post, but the app is already available to users. We are moving on to version 2.1 which will support comment push notifications!
WPAndroid UI progress
It’s looking really good. Most activities have been converted to the ActionBar, and the MenuDrawer has been tweaked to operate smoothly. Still a bit more left to do, including getting design comps and implementing them.
Version 3.5 came out last week with a nasty bug, but thankfully we were able to get a bug fix out quickly. There’s a few less annoying bugs reported that should probably be fixed for a 3.5.2 release. No progress on version 3.6 yet.
Handbook is looking better. We noted that there is still a lot of non-app specific content to be written, maybe some folks can jump in and write those.
After 3 weeks in review, the app was rejected for an unknown reason We are reaching out to our BB contact to see what’s up.
The next dev chat will be on March 6, 2013 at 16:00 UTC. Mark your calendar and join us in #wordpress-mobile on Freenode.
Guess what? WordPress for iOS 3.5 was approved by Apple today, featuring Draft Previews and Post Autosave! Tell your friends:
Version 3.5 Is Here: Draft Previews, Autosaved Posts, and More wp.me/pgi3r-mc
— WordPress for iOS (@WordPressiOS) February 22, 2013
Just a quick heads up that @willnorris has been granted commit access to WPAndroid trunk. Will is helping out with the UI update, particularly in converting the app to use a
slide-out menu menu drawer. Congrats Will!
Mobile Dev Chat Summary for Nov 28, 2012
- Mobile handbook
- WPiOS Sounds release
- WPWindowsPhone progress
- WPAndroid UI Idea
We’re going to create a WordPress mobile handbook to help new contributors get up to speed quickly when wanting to help out with all things mobile. Some notes:
- We will have a main overview page that will link off to specific instructions on contributing to each app.
- We should also include information for stuff outside of the apps, such as responsive design.
- Each app lead is responsible for writing the page with instructions on getting set up and contributing to the app.
- A google doc spreadsheet is going to be made by the weekend that will help us get the basic outline created for the Handbook.
WPiOS Sounds Release
- App was submitted on Monday!
- We’re not done with sounds, we’d like to continue iterating on them when possible.
WPWindows Phone Progress
- Still waiting on version 1.7.1 to be approved from Microsoft.
- Good progress has been made on version 1.8, which includes better comment moderation support.
WPAndroid UI Idea
- For the next release (Date TBD) we’d like to create an Android 3.0 or higher version of the app that can use the ‘Holo’ theme and also make use of the native action bar.
- We’ll split the APK distribution so that we can still offer the older UI version of the app to Android 2.3 or lower users.
Join us for the next weekly chat Wednesday at 1600 UTC on irc.freenode.net in the #WordPress-Mobile room.