New official WordPress contributor group! There are so many great WordPress evangelists out there who have been organizing in-person events like meetups, WordCamps, classes, and socials, yet we haven’t had a way in the past to bring them all together as one group. Now is the time!
Here’s what I envision for this group:
- Blog to keep people posted about goings on, surveys to gather feedback, etc
- Forums for ongoing discussions about common issues and areas of interest (how to raise money, find venues, grow your local group, etc)
- Mentorship! Right now, Andrea Middleton acts as a central point of contact and guide for all WordCamps. In the ideal near future, she can still handle things like bank accounts and such, but we can build a group of volunteers to help with bringing new organizers up to speed and being an advisor/mentor/friend to them during their organizing process.
- Follow-up: WordCamp videos that go to WordPress.tv need to be reviewed and published one at a time. We could make this a shared responsibility.
- Constant feedback loop: as an active contributor group, we’d be better able to review and adjust plans, policies, and guidelines for official WordPress events on a regular basis to keep up with the ever-shifting needs of the community.
Over the next couple of weeks, past and present organizers (that we know about) will be contacted and added to this blog as authors if they would like to participate/contribute. If you don’t want to wait and want to get on in here early and help us get this site in shape, leave a comment on this post and we’ll loop you in.
P.S. Heck, even if we’re going to email you soon, why not leave a comment here anyway if you are a past or present organizer? Introduce yourself, tell us about your events/group, and pick the one thing you most hope this new contributor group can accomplish by the end of this year. Thinking we will want to set up a regular IRC chat as well, like other contributor groups, so these “one thing”s would be a great starting point.