WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Make WordPress Documentation

Tagged: handbooks Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Ben Lobaugh (blobaugh) 9:34 pm on May 28, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks, , theme   

    Handbooks Update: May 28, 2014

    Our weekly chat in #wordpress-sfd on IRC at 2:00 PM PST happened today with @blobaugh @sewmyheadon @topher1kenobe in attendance.

    @blobaugh ran the meeting while @samuelsidler was out.

    IRC log available http://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=wordpress-sfd&day=2014-05-28&sort=asc#m114132

    Theme Handbook
    Due to the U.S. holiday this week not much got done
    Instead of a scattergun approach an intentional section by section approach is being taken that has helped progress
    New contributors have contacted @sewmyheadon (Eric) about helping with the theme HB!
    Interested in helping? Email eric@ivycat.com or comment here.

    Plugin Handbook
    Due to the U.S. holiday this week not much got done
    Following @sewmyheadon sectional approach, @topher1kenobe and @blobaugh have a Google Hangout triage meeting setup for Thursday May 29, 2014 at 7:30 AM PST. If you would like to join watch the #wordpress-sfd room for the link.
    New contributors have contacted @blobaugh about the plugin HB
    Interested in helping? Email ben@lobaugh.net or comment here.

    @sewmyheadon is hosting an in-person/virtual Doc Sprint on June 7, 2014. http://www.meetup.com/SeattleWordPressMeetup/events/175531242/ Everyone is welcome to join. If you want to participate virtually join the #wordpress-sfd IRC channel.

     
  • Samuel Sidler 3:55 pm on May 22, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks   

    Handbooks Update, May 21 Edition 

    Handbooks! Handbooks! Handbooks!

    We had our weekly chat yesterday (logs), with @blobaugh, @designsimply, @jerrysarcastic, @mattpritchett, @sewmyheadon, and myself in attendance.

    • Plugin Developer Handbook:
      • Some new interest after last week’s update!
      • The spreadsheet is being kept up-to-date, with work being done on various sections.
      • A special thank you to @topher1kenobe who’s doing a bunch of great work and tearing through pages.
      • Interested in helping? Email ben@lobaugh.net or comment here.
    • Theme Developer Handbook:
      • The first section (Part Zero) is done! It’s set at 95% and @jerrysarcastic will give it a final pass to take it to 100%.
      • Part One is pretty far along. @designsimply volunteered to take on a page in the section (the least far along page too!) and @sewmyheadon has committed to completing the section just after the next Docs Sprint on June 7.
      • New contributors will be given pages in Part Two and beyond, as we try to complete the handbook section-by-section.
      • A new section for security should get added to Part One, giving a basic overview of security and linking on to Part Three’s more in-depth security section.
      • We also talked a bit about the “opinionated voice” of the handbook. Some of the claims will get toned down slightly, but in general the tone is fine for getting users on the right path.
      • Interested in helping? Email eric@ivycat.com or comment here.

    As I mentioned above, the monthly Docs Sprint is June 7, online and in-person in Seattle. All are welcome to join in #WordPress-sfd!

    We also hope to have the handbook plugin and theme ready for devhub in the next couple of weeks. In that case, we’d start migrating content over, section-by-section and throw up an “in-development” notice for the other sections.

    And of course… we need your help! If you’re interested in helping, email either Ben or Eric, with their email addresses above, or leave a comment on this post and we’ll get right back to you.

     
  • Ben Lobaugh (blobaugh) 5:09 am on May 15, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks   

    Handbooks Weekly Chat update

    @samuelsidler was out today so I lead the discussion. @sewmyheadon was also unable to attend so chat centered around the plugin handbook.

    • Shortcodes section is almost complete (Thanks @topher1kenobe!)
    • We need someone who knows how TinyMCE renders shortcodes in the editor to round out the section
    • The plugin spreadsheet is being updated on an on going basis
    • Some relevant content from the Codex is being moved into the handbook (E.G. CPTs)
    • Instead of randomly attacking the list we are more purposefully moving section by section.

    We still need more volunteer writers! If you want to get involved drop me a line at ben@lobaugh.net or ping me on IRC.

    Honorable mention was @jerrysarcastic sarcasm ;)

     
  • Samuel Sidler 1:56 pm on May 8, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks   

    Hello everyone, here’s a quick handbook update from our chat yesterday:

    • Work continues on the plugin developer handbook. Over the next week we’re going to focus on getting the spreadsheet in order.
    • Next steps for the plugin developer handbook is to go through section-by-section, completing them, that way we’ll have something to launch when the devhub handbook theme is ready.
    • Because of some miscommunication, @sewmyheadon didn’t make the chat, but will be by for the docs chat today.
    • I’m traveling during the chat next week, but @blobaugh will host office hours in IRC.
    • I’ve updated the plugin developer handbook link in the header to the new one. (This is the old one, for reference.)

    Let me know if you have questions and let’s keep plowing forward!

     
  • Samuel Sidler 7:11 pm on May 6, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks   

    We’re moving the handbooks check-in up a bit to accommodate Europeans. The new time will be at 21:00 UTC and we’ll meet in #wordpress-sfd. I’ve updated the time in the sidebar. See you tomorrow!

     
  • Samuel Sidler 12:07 am on April 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: handbooks   

    Redesigned Contributor Handbooks 

    Hello Docs Team!

    I just landed a new design for the contributor handbooks, courtesy @sonjanyc (mockup is here). You can see them on the core, mobile, docs, and polyglot handbooks, among others. The design is still a little rough around the edges, but the bulk of it is there. Namely, here’s some issues I’ve noticed:

    • There’s a hover for headings in chapters box
    • Content doesn’t properly wrap around the “topics” box
    • We need to add a handbook name to each handbook, along with a design (#439)
    • The “Watch this page” widget needs to move to be in the actions bar (#437)
    • In the polyglots handbook, for admins, “Flag Unresolved” is shown (#436)

    Last but not least, I need a decision from y’all.

    Currently, we list all hierarchal subpages on the page they’re from. For example, in the core handbook, on the Coding Standards page, we show the subpages as a (undesigned) list. The decision we need made is whether to keep that list and design it or to remove the list entirely. Keep in mind the Chapters sidebar can be organized however you’d like; it doesn’t need to be hierarchal. If we remove the Pages list, we’ll need to make sure the content is properly linked within the page.

    What say you?


     

    Other things I should mention are that we should document these things somewhere:

    • The starting header tag in any page should be an <h2> to keep the topics box designed. (I went through and fixed this on the core and mobile handbooks.)
    • The Chapters sidebar is a custom menu and can be organized however you like.
    • Currently, the headings in the Chapters sidebar are merely re-styled <a> tags with # as the href. We’ll probably be changing this, however.

    Finally, please note that this design is only for the contributor handbooks. The developer handbooks will have a style that matches devhub.

     
    • Kim Parsell 12:22 am on April 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      My vote is to remove the Pages section at the top. With the old theme, I found them confusing with the Table of Contents section right below them. With the redesigned Chapters menu and the Topics box in the upper right, I think we can now remove the Pages section entirely.

      With hook docs done, I’m available to help with any of the design changes needed.

      Thanks @sonjanyc for the awesome new theme. :)

    • David Laietta 1:24 pm on April 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I agree on removing the pages, having them linked in the sidebar. It makes more sense to me in terms of confusion and being able to find everything that I want in one place (the sidebar).

  • hanni 1:04 pm on February 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks   

    Handbooks Chat: 27th Feb 

    Present: @blobaugh, @caseydriscoll, @hanni, @NikV @philiparthurmoore,and @sams.

    1.Plugin Developer Handbook

    The revised outline proposal was finalised last week by @blobaugh and @hanni, who are this week working on getting the content copied over from the “old” to new structure. If you take a look at the handbook you’ll see this is well underway, and we’re hoping to complete the merge in-time for the sprint.

    A backup was taken of all content prior to starting this, so as to be able to “revert” in case of disaster, and also to allow the restoration the proper metadata for each and every contributors to each section when appropriate.

    The structure can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak0ISjkNpXRIdHRVSDlFOWlBakYwRnNJZV9rbDIyOHc&usp=sharing#gid=0

    The first section is very much in draft form, and is intended to be written by a couple of folks going through the process of writing their own plugin (including @hanni), so no-one should be alarmed by the apparently bizarre state at present.

    Note: until we’ve ported the numbers etc. we’ll not replace the link in either the spiffy new nav or the sidebar, so as not to confuse. This also motivates us to get it finished in time for this weekend’s Docs Sprint. Whilst the sprint is based in Seattle, everyone is welcome to participate, wherever they are.

    Admin-wise, @blobaugh is leaving for a trip to Uganda on the 5th March, and will return on the 21st. As such, Ben is eager to get things in tip-top shape prior to his departure.

    During @blobaugh‘s trip, @hanni will be the point of contact for the Plugin Developer Handbook.

    2. Theme Developer Handbook

    Due to travel, Theme Developer Handbook Editor @sewmyheadon was unable to make this week’s meeting, so @hanni attempted to fill his shoes for the day.

    @philiparthurmoore kindly joined to help kick-off the effort to integrate some of the fantastic themeshaper.net content. As per previous recent handbook discussions, focus for the Theme Developer Handbook is very much on stage (i).

    To this end, over the next couple of weeks @philiparthurmore will be working on an initial one page summary distilling the themeshaper content down to the basics of getting from zero to your first theme, upon which we can then expand as necessary.

    He’ll have an outline ready for the Docs Sprint on March 1st, such that any folks present can see where things are going and lend a hand if they so desire.

    If anyone else is interested in helping with this, please do leave a comment here or ping Philip, Eric, or myself.

    Thanks again everyone!

     
  • hanni 6:41 pm on February 18, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: handbooks, stateofthehandbooks   

    Where are we with the Plugin and Theme Developer Handbooks? 

    Hanni! You just posted something about a handbook status meeting but what’s actually happening with these mythical creatures?

    Plugin Developer Handbook Stasis

    We’ve now a proper (as opposed to acting) editor for the Plugin Developer Handbook, in the very capable form of Ben Lobaugh (@blobaugh).

    . Ben and I are in the process of re-jigging the structure and existing to fit with the two-tiered goals of the handbooks. Watch this space! The new outline will be ready for the Docs Chat this week, Feb 20th.

    Goal Parity

    With little policing of contributions over these past months, we’re in danger of creating two unwieldy information dumps as opposed to digestible handbooks.

    A rough goal could be stated as providing an overview for each handbook such that:

    i) The reader gets into the book and to show them how to build a simple theme, or plugin, so they can see how easy it is and get introduced to the necessary and basic building blocks.

    ii) Then, once that overview is complete for each handbook we’ll proceed with more in-depth dives into each section as and when is necessary.

    With the current state of the handbooks, we’ll be focusing on finessing (and constructing!) i) for the foreseeable future.

    New Contributors

    i. Plugin Developer Handbook
    We have some great news about increased interest in contributing to the project! (Thanks to all those who graciously caved in to my pestering are champing at the bit to give back and get involved.)

    I’m so excited to announce that Woo are eager to give of their time to help the Plugin Developer Handbook effort, in particular: @scottbasgaard, @hlashbrooke, @mikejolley, and @corsonr. Thanks, Woo!

    The guys at fooplugins, @bradvin and @awarner20, are also on board.

    Thrilled to add that @trepmal, @shaunandrews, @johnny5 (tech reviewing), @westonruter, and @pcrumm have also kindly offered to give of their time, as and when they can.

    Existing contributor @jackreichert is also eager to help with the renewed push.

    With such a great bunch we should be able to get things moving at a good pace. I’ll be in touch will all of the above over the next few of days to make sure everyone has the correct access and is able to hit the ground running.

    ii .Theme Developer Handbook

    @philiparthurmoore is eager to work on the Theme Developer Handbook, as is @nudge – good news for the project! Thanks, you two.

    Looking to get involved?

    If you’re looking to help out with one of the handbooks, feel free to come to any of the weekly check-in meetings, ping myself or the editor for the handbook in question, leave a comment on this post, or join the regular weekly Docs Team chat.

    Again, as noted in @kpdesign’s notes from last week’s chat, I take full responsibility for the stalling of the Handbooks. Onwards and upwards, folks!

    Lastly, thank you to everyone who has given, and continues to give so much of their valuable time to what is truly a community effort.

     
  • hanni 5:14 pm on February 18, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: handbooks, progress   

    Weekly Handbooks Check-in 

    It’s time to get back on the handbook bandwagon, folks!

    We’re starting a weekly check-in meeting between those responsible for the progress of a number of the handbooks, @hanni (general helper), @sewmyheadon (editor of the Theme Developer Handbook), and @blobaugh (editor of the Plugin Developer Handbook), and anyone else who is both interested in the progress of the above, and wishes to find out more about getting involved.

    The goal of this status meeting is to ensure that we’re keeping an eye on content coming in, making the requisite progress (here’s to getting back the momentum we lost!), doing all we can to support both current, and potential contributors. Most importantly, we want to keep the outlines of the handbooks on track to meet the common goals of outlining the process to build both a theme and plugin for those newer to the process, whilst also providing an appropriate level of reference for those familiar more familiar with theme and plugin development. More to come on this subject.

    Please feel free to join, it’ll be in #wordpress-sfd at 5PM Pacific, every Wednesday. Open to all!

     
  • Ryan Markel 6:56 pm on July 28, 2013 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , handbooks, theme developer handbook   

    Theme Developer Handbook @ Contribute Day 

    oK; let’s take some bits of the handbook – each bit should be reviewed for usefulness and accuracy. Keep in mind that we’re aiming for a resource that people can use to check as they develop a theme.

    Here’s the list of topics – each should get a pass from a volunteer and then pass it to Se for a style review. Tick off the topic when you take it and add any notes by editing the post. When Se says “it’s done,” she’ll add another note and we’ll then consider it to be checked in. :)

    Introduction

    Part One: Theme Basics

    Part Two: Theme Functionality

    Part Three: Advanced Theme Topics

    Part Four: Theme Release

     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel