What is internationalization? #
Internationalization is the process of developing your plugin so it can easily be translated into other languages. Internationalization is often abbreviated as
i18n (because there are 18 letters between the i and the n).
Why is internationalization important? #
WordPress is used all over the world, so it is a good idea to prepare WordPress plugins that can be easily translated into other languages. As a developer, you may not have an easy time providing localizations for all your users; however, any translator can successfully localize the plugin without needing to modify the source code itself.
Read further on “How to Internationalize your Plugin“.
- Video: i18n: Preparing Your WordPress Theme for the World
- Video: On Internationalization: Plugins and themes for the whole world Slides
- Video: Big in Japan: A Guide for Themes and Internationalization
- Video: Lost in Translation—i18n and WordPress
- Internationalizing And Localizing Your WordPress Theme
- Internationalization: You’re probably doing it wrong
- More Internationalization Fun
- Use wp_localize_script, It Is Awesome
- Understanding _n_noop()
- Language Packs 101 – Prepwork
- Translating WordPress Plugins and Themes: Don’t Get Clever
- How to load theme and plugin translations
- Loading WordPress language files the right way