What is Internationalization? #
Internationalization is the process of developing your plugin so that it can easily be translated into other languages. Internationalization is often abbreviated as
i18n (because there are 18 letters between the i and the n).
Why is Internationalization Important? #
WordPress is used all over the world, so it is a good idea to prepare WordPress plugins that can be easily translated into other languages. As a developer, you may not have an easy time providing localizations for all your users; however, any translator can successfully localize the plugin without needing to modify the source code itself.
Read further on “How to Internationalize your Plugin“.
- Video: i18n: Preparing Your WordPress Theme for the World
- Video: On Internationalization: Plugins and themes for the whole world Slides
- Video: Big in Japan: A Guide for Themes and Internationalization
- Video: Lost in Translation—i18n and WordPress
- Internationalizing And Localizing Your WordPress Theme
- Internationalization: You’re probably doing it wrong
- More Internationalization Fun
- Use wp_localize_script, It Is Awesome
- Understanding _n_noop()
- Language Packs 101 – Prepwork
- Translating WordPress Plugins and Themes: Don’t Get Clever
- How to load theme and plugin translations
- Loading WordPress language files the right way