WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Make WordPress Core

Tagged: #wptybee Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Jen Mylo 10:44 pm on August 18, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee, ,   

    In the better late than never category: notes about plugins from core team meetup in December! http://make.wordpress.org/plugins/2012/08/18/93/

     
  • Jen Mylo 10:53 pm on December 18, 2011 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee,   

    Core Team Meetup Recap – Part II 

    Picking up where we left off….

    Friday

    We kicked off Friday with a discussion about the high-level roadmap for 2012. Using our earlier talk about process and scope, we identified areas/userflows that we could use to focus a release. Areas of interest included changing themes/customizing your site, uploading a bunch of photos, interacting with audience/feedback loop. (There were more, but let’s face it, there are too many things we’d like to improve to do them all at once.)

    We all donned WordPress gear so that people would recognize us at the happy hour later.

    Dion

    Dion (dd32) modeling the latest swag

    Dion and Andrew

    Dion and Andrew Ozz before lunch

    Lunch: Went to The Sentient Bean in Savannah.

    The Sentient Bean

    The Sentient Bean

    Back patio at the Sentient Bean

    Back patio at the Sentient Bean

    Koop and Mark, Dion and Ozz in the background

    Koop and Mark, Dion and Ozz in the background

    Next we went to ThincSavannah, my coworking space in downtown Savannah. We did the livestreamed Town Hall/Q&A (recording coming soon), answering questions from that forum thread I put up last week and a few that came in live from IRC.

    Core team town hall video screen cap

    Core team town hall

    After that was happy hour at Jazz’d. Only two people came to hang out with us (and to think we dressed up especially!), but they were two great people, so we were fine. Some drinks and appetizers later, we departed for WordPress on Ice, in which we went ice skating at the Civic Center.

    Nacin and Koop on skates

    Nacin and Koop on skates

    Nacin, Mark, Jane, Matt, Jon, Daryl

    WordPress on Ice! Nacin, Mark, Jane, Matt, Jon, Daryl

    Then a stop at Huc-a-Poo’s, then home.

    Saturday

    We spent the morning talking about mobile apps and their place in the WordPress ecosystem, as well as making the dashboard a better experience when viewed in a mobile browser.

    Lunch: Went to AJ’s and ate on the deck. Continued talking about mobile. This eventually morphed a bit into a discussion about the lines between .org/.com.

    Core team at lunch at AJ's Dockside

    Core team at lunch at AJ's Dockside

    After lunch we talked about the default theme for 2012, including what it should do/be that our current themes don’t already accomplish, and the process for its creation. Breakouts followed. One was focused on multisite, while the other was focused on hosting/diagnostics/health check. We tested doing a Google Hangout with screensharing as a way to collaborate more effectively throughout the year, and agreed we would try to do them once a month. For dinner we got takeout BBQ from Gerald’s Pig & Shrimp. We pretended @ryan was with us by playing a video of him from last year’s meetup. Afterward, Koop gave a primer on JavaScript.

    Sunday

    When we started this morning, we tried to at least quickly hit the things we hadn’t gotten to yet, since today was the last day. These included: Google stuff, core plugins, how leadership in core does/does not translate to leadership of the whole project, wordpress.org site, pairs (creating process to make collaborative/non-solo development the norm), and CMS stuff.

    Since a lot of us were pretty interested in making the theme customization process a focus of the next release, we starting identifying what the chunks of that might look like under the new process and with people working in pairs/teams. We continued talking about this over brunch at the Tybee Island Social Club, where @nacin and @dkoopersmith drank bacon bloody marys.

    Bacon Bloody Mary

    Bacon Bloody Mary

    Nacin attempting to consume a bacon bloody mary

    Should Nacin eat the bacon or drink the bloody mary? He can't decide.

    After brunch, @markjaquith and @dd32 left for the airport, and @joncave and @azaozz left two hours later. Bye bye, core team!

    Now we begin a 2nd mini meetup. Matt, Nacin, Koop, and I are staying, and have been joined by @otto42 and @chexee. The next couple of days we’ll be doing some planning and starting projects to make visiting wordpress.org a better, more useful experience. Tonight, though, everyone is catching up on some individual work after a week of long days.

    We’ll post summaries of the specific core meetup discussions over the coming week.

     
    • Michael Beckwith (@tw2113) 11:26 pm on December 18, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Very curious to see how the focus on theme customization process turns out, and maybe I can jump in and help a bit with that as it’s one areas I love focusing on.

    • Andrew Nacin 12:12 am on December 19, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Worth nothing a few things:

      First and foremost, that bacon bloody mary was good. Really good. Who cares how you consume it.

      Second, please don’t interpret the lack of a mention of any peculiar topic to mean it wasn’t discussed — only that only so much can fit in one of these posts. For the developers, we had some discussions on security practices and procedures, unit testing, and core architecture (and planning for the future). The word “multisite” escapes with a single mention, but in that meeting we came away with a number of immediate action items, as well as a potential roadmap for the next year. And if you didn’t catch the livestream, you may have also missed that we’ve committed to a JSON API in core to go alongside RSS.

      This was just the day-to-day play-by-play. There’s a lot more we need to write up. Woo.

    • David Johnson 2:46 am on December 19, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Thanks for the recap write-up!

      Any word about backup/restore/migration issues within the WordPress core? It seems like basic security and backup should be in the core installation..but maybe I’m missing something.

      Thank you WordPress core team for allowing the community to be involved and aware of the goings on within WordPress.

      • Jane Wells 2:24 am on December 20, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Security is definitely something that was talked about, but a backup utility is more suited to a plugin than core (though we did discuss the possibility of a core/canonical plugin for backups).

    • Adam W. Warner 2:34 pm on December 19, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      It’s great to get an “insider” view of your meetup, so thanks, the community appreciates it and all the work you all do to make the World a more open and accessible place for many to have their voices heard.

      Also, @Nacin, thanks for the additional mention of Multisite. I’m an avid user and am pleased there will be some additional focus.

    • Lance Willett 3:00 pm on December 19, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Great job with all these newsy updates, Jane. Kudos.

    • mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine) 3:07 am on December 22, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Wait, is the “Nacin and Koop on skates” photo the answer to my request!?

      Here was the original ticket:
      https://twitter.com/#!/themitcho/status/147901791776935937
      :D :D :D

    • havahula 3:51 am on December 23, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      ok. i’ll bite. where does one get those fancy, baby blue track jackets Dion, Ozz and Matt are wearing? and did Nacin have one too before he drank the bacon bloody mary, which turned his brown?

  • Jen Mylo 12:54 pm on December 16, 2011 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee, ,   

    Core Team Meetup Recap – Part I 

    As most people know, the core team (leads, primary committers, Matt) is having its annual meetup this week, packed into a house in Tybee Island, GA with an hour by hour schedule to try to get through as many things as we can. We’ll try to do recaps of everything we talk about to keep everyone in the loop (feel free to ask questions in the comments).

    Monday/Tuesday

    Matt, Mark Jaquith, Westi and I arrived (well, they arrived; I live here) on Monday and had a day to plan out the agenda topics and work out how we wanted to schedule the week. Rather than plot out a unique schedule every day, we put together a repeatable pattern for morning and afternoon that looked like this:

    Schedule chart

    For the record, “Break” means “Check email, catch up on Trac tickets, etc,” not, “Hang out on the couch watching Hulu.”

    On Tuesday we also took a field trip to buy a cable modem capable of handling the bandwidth increase we’d ordered. That night, everyone else arrived: Nacin, Koop, Dion (dd32), Andrew (azaozz), and Jon (duck_). We had dinner at the Crab Shack and planned an early start on Wednesday.

    Wednesday

    Wednesday was our first day as a full group. We followed the schedule fairly well, though as always with us, some things took longer than expected. :)

    Breakfast: We went to eat at the Breakfast Club, where a bunch of the guys had Blackhawk burritos in honor of our absent member, Ryan Boren.

    Our first main topic was a 3.3 debrief to discuss for about 45 minutes how the 3.3 development cycle went. (Going to split out the notes from these sessions into separate posts, or this post will be a mile long.)

    After that we had breakout sessions, where the intention was for smaller groups to brainstorm/discuss an issue, then come up with a proposal/recommendation to present to the group. The two topics were QA and Updates (specifically the road to auto-updating and how we could get there). Mark assigned people to each session and half the group went upstairs. Coincidentally, that was the UPdates group. (sorry) Afterward, we regrouped and caught each other up on our proposals.

    Lunch: Blackhawk burritos keep you full for days, so people just made sandwiches.

    Round 2 started bringing in @ryan via Skype video from his home in Texas. The main discussion centered on our development cycle/release process/scoping/timelines. We discussed a number of things we could try to keep the cycles more consistent, reduce bottlenecks, and improve accountability.

    Dinner: It was my birthday, so we all went to the Tybee Island Social Club for “Winesday” and continued our talks about everything from the wordpress.org site to growing local developer and user communities. There may be a picture of Koop and/or Nacin wearing a child’s birthday hat. Mark Jaquith has the footage.

    Thursday

    Breakfast: Miscellaneous breakfast stuff at the house. Pretty sure there was a bunch of bacon involved.

    Morning session: Plugins, plugins, plugins. You name it, we talked about it. Findability in the directory, improving the repo and developer experience, plugin review, encouraging collaboration, 3rd party repos, communication with authors, and more.

    Both breakout sessions were plugin-centric. In addition to general recommendations, each subteam was required to identify two discrete action items to help us move forward in their assigned area. One subteam (Me, Westi, Jon Cave, Andrew Ozz) was focused on planning upcoming wordpress.org sites in the Make and Learn areas, while the other (Matt, Nacin, Koop, Dion, Mark) focused on improving the directory.

    This day we did an actual fun outing to get us out of our chairs and away from the laptops for a bit, and went out on a boat for an hour so the guys could get a tour of the river/marsh and hit the ocean as we looped past the Cockspur Lighthouse.

    Core team, on a boat

    Dion (dd32) and Matt

    Mark and his lens

    Koop

    Matt and Cockspur Lighthouse, Tybee Island

    After the boat, we went to lunch at North Beach Grill. There were conversations about infrastructure, performance, automated testing, and crawfish poppers. Before going back to the house, we did a 5-minute walk down to the water.

    Westi on the beach

    In the afternoon, rather than doing another block of heavy discussions, everyone worked on their computers. Some of you may have had some issues accessing svn etc last night, and so did we. So that took a while. After that it was general hackery and miscellaneous discussions about functions, bugs, and the usual things wp devs talk about when they are together. This lasted into the evening, so instead of going out to dinner we ordered pizza from Huc-a-Poo’s and kept working.

    Friday

    Today we’re having a modified schedule because Westi leaves to go home this evening, so we’re trying to get certain things finished before he leaves. We’ll be working this afternoon from a coworking space in downtown Savannah, and will be recording video responses to some of the questions on the forum thread I posted last week. If bandwidth supports it, we’ll livestream this while we record, and could possibly take more questions from people in #wordpress-dev. If we do it, we’ll use the Ustream “WordPress” user channel, and it will be mid-afternoon eastern time (maybe around 3pm?). Once we get there after lunch and can tell if the livestreaming will work, I’ll post on this blog with the verdict.

    Off to Friday’s sessions! We’ll start posting the session writeups as time allows, but will get them all up there no later than the end of next week (there are a lot of notes).

     
  • Jen Mylo 2:53 pm on January 15, 2011 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee   

    #wptybee update!

    Thursday

    • The core commit team (+me) talked with the people working on the WordPress mobile apps via audio skype chat after several attempts at video were an utter failure due to bandwidth issues. All agreed that we needed to build a stronger tie between the web app and the mobile apps. To that end, the mobile app devs will start attending our weekly dev chats to stay up to date with new developments (heh), and will occasionally post updates here on this blog to keep everyone aware of mobile app news. We’ll also get the UI group involved in mobile app UI/usability testing where appropriate. A link has been added to the Extend submenu on .org that goes to a page listing all the mobile apps and their sites, to raise visibility.
    • Huge Tracfest. Sifted through awaiting review and future release tickets, talked about ways that we could improve the triage/bug gardening process. Trac-ity Trac-ity Trac-ity.
    • BBQ dinner brought over by Gerald of Gerald’s Pig and Shrimp BBQ (though there was no shrimp). His business is closed for the season and he doesn’t usually cook for such small groups in the off-season, but he let himself be sweet-talked into it because he has a WordPress blog. Running Kubrick! He came over with a truck full of meat, black eyed peas, lima beans, rice, and fried okra. It fortified the guys for…
    • All-night continuation of Tracfest.

    Friday

    • We started out the day by talking about ways to improve the plugin repo submission experience, possible ways to promote good/safe plugins and de-emphasize abandoned ones that no longer work with current version, and infrastructure that could help with these goals. We also had a knock-down, drag-out fight over the best way to deal with plugins whose authors have abandoned them if someone else wants to step up to take over. I say this not to imply there is dissension in the ranks of the core leadership, but to show that this is a group of passionate people with strong opinions about the best way to do things to further the WP project. If you’ve ever been bummed because half the core team didn’t agree with you and shot down your idea, at least take heart that we’re all in the same boat! :)
    • Licensing. We committed to reviewed every licensing ticket opened by hakre or anyone else on Trac. We got through all of them, and wound up with a list of what to do about them/assigning people to make whatever patches were deemed necessary. Also see Mark’s post from last night, related to one of them.
    • Improving updates. Talked about things like partial updates, language packs, compatibility checks, notifications, memory leaks, etc.
    • Unit tests. We need more stuff. Also, Peter is going to write up Mac and Windows instructions for getting the test suite running.
    • Tracfest.
    • Lost time to tangents not directly related to either 3.1 release or the topics on the agenda for 2011 vision due to vocal minority/people who are convinced that their needs are more important than anyone else’s. I’m supposed to be savvy enough not to come right out and say things like that, but it’s been a long week, and lets face it: if half the core team didn’t lose so much time to the handful of people who loudly demand attention on wp-hackers, twitter, etc, we probably could have had 3.1 launched by now.
    • Regained better humor (lowered due to said time suck of tangents) by invading ##wpchat and being silly. Sorry guys, for the interruption. At least our bandwidth was bad enough that we weren’t there for long! :)

    Saturday

    We have a long list of things to get through today. May try to enforce a period of social media silence and make everyone close twitter etc so we can’t be distracted as outlined above. If we don’t answer you about something today, please don’t be offended — we just really need to get a lot of work done, and we only have one day left to do it.

    In the meantime, since the internet connection has made doing a live town hall impossible, we could at least try to record one and post it. Feel free to post questions you’d like us to answer on video in the comments. You can ask of the general team, or ask someone specifically (people here include Matt M, Ryan Boren, Mark Jaquith, Peter Westwood, Dion Hulse (dd32), Andrew Nacin, Daryl Koopersmith, Pete Mall, Austin Matzko (filosofo), Mike Adams (mdawaffe), John Ford (aldenta), John James Jacoby (jjj) and me).

     
    • Bronson Quick 7:35 am on January 16, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Hey Jane,

      I’m not sure if this is a question/idea that you guys would like to discuss but I was wondering how things with the WordPress Foundation are going in terms of donations from people?

      My business partner and I run a couple of WordPress meetup groups and we tend to have a bit of an issue about people saying they’ll attend then cause it’s free they’ll just decide on the night they won’t turn up cause there is no kinda financial commitment. So I was toying with the idea of asking people for $5 – $10 and giving all that back to the WordPress foundation. That way people have a small financial commitment so we’ll get more ‘bums on seats’ and the Foundation could get a few dollars each month from us as a donation. We have been keeping them free cause we want to give something back to the WordPress community.

      I’m not sure how many WP Meetup groups experience similar problems with people bailing at the last minute cause it’s free but if that’s the case then maybe the other groups could do a similar thing and start getting a little bit of cash into the WordPress foundation?

    • Denis 1:26 am on January 17, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      If you’ve the opportunity, please discuss making a bug fix release. Some potential contributors (including yours truly) can barely (if at all) be bothered to contribute a patch (in my case, hardly a bug report) until the ticket count gets addressed.

      • Andrew Nacin 11:40 pm on January 20, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Sorry, I don’t wish to bother you with a reply. But having the number of tickets we have is the sign of healthy software, not the other way around. There will always be bugs.

    • Sakib 12:04 pm on January 18, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Off topic,

      Jane could you please consider my ideas. I would like to here from you. I wish you remember me, I requested about the extendability of wordpress export features, thanks for the addition :). I’m feeling happy that wordpress listen us, care us. Thanks matt too.

      a) In the theme editor pages, /wp-admin/theme-editor.php => we getting access to add or remove or bring changes to .php files and .css files. But, when theme css or other files located in folder, then it’s not possible to take access & edit from WP Editor pages. Like location, themestractionV1stylesheets/master.css => impossible to access and edit the master.css file.

      b) http://example.comwp-admin/index.php – in Dashboad we watching several stuff but could you please reconsider another box which will bring the list of latest changes, like
      — Index.php has changed at 2.30 PM (link of the changes)
      — All-in-SEO plugins disabled at 1.30 AM (link)
      — recent widgets added, removed or edited.
      (please don’t include whats draft, posted or not). I’m talking about major things.

      Sometimes, it’s really tough to find the problem. Even, if any code injected my hacker, it’s possible for webmaster to instantly take a look. Or settle the problem by self or with wordpress.org support.

      In last month, my website is not loading properly, as because with W3Total Plugins, enabled minify plugins which compressed my CSS. I didn’t concerned about it. It takes a lot time to find out the problem but I wish if I had that recent change list. I might try to disable and enable it — problem should be fixed instantly.

  • Jen Mylo 12:52 pm on January 13, 2011 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee   

    The core team meetup (affectionately referred to as #wptybee) began Sunday night with the arrival of Westi and Otto. Many flight cancellations, re-bookings, and delays on Monday saw the arrival of Mark Jaquith, Pete Mall, Andrew Nacin, Matt, Ryan Boren, J-trip, and Daryl. Tuesday brought Mike Adams and John Ford, and Dion Hulse arrived in a horse-drawn carriage (read: rental car) driven by Lance Willett. Austin Matzko arrived Wednesday.

    • Monday was a travel day. Tacos for dinner, greetings, but not much work on core.
    • Tuesday was spent by the lead team trying to figure out wtf was wrong with 3.1 bulk actions so we could put out RC3. It’s still going on. In the evening we had Matt’s surprise party.
    • Wednesday was the first real “summit” type day, as Tuesday’s work was very similar to what we do remotely, just with some talking out loud. On Wednesday the 3.1 angst continued, but we also discussed some possibilities for 3.2 (keeping the release small, focusing on easier/better updates, PHP5, etc) and the 2011 theme (build on what is awesome about 2010, possibly add a template or two to make it more attractive for CMS use, maybe rotating headers?), and there was a group Tracfest at night over pizza and beer. This included discussion of how we might better section off tickets for: 1. Things we already know we want in the next major release, 2. Things we like the idea of, but won’t target for a specific release until there’s a good patch for it (as opposed to deciding we want it in the next release before writing the patch), 3. Things we’re interested in personally, but would like to see as a plugin first to evaluate and/or test if it’s really necessary for core (we want to start doing this a lot more). More discussion likely to ensue on that in IRC.
    • Today we’ll be having a chat with the mobile team to discuss how the two groups can collaborate so there’s more continuity in the WordPress experience, how to leverage the quite-big WP community to increase participation in the quite-small mobile apps project communities, and in general how to make the mobile apps an integral part of the WordPress experience and community. No more red-headed stepchildren!

    Hoping for more Trac triage today — the goal is to empty awaiting review and future release by end of meetup (possibly not realistic given late arrivals, birthday time-out, hangovers, etc) and get everything looked at and put into a more specific milestone — and some of the higher-level vision talk we originally intended for the meetup when we planned it (thinking it would be 3 weeks after the release of 3.1). Will post additional updates as we continue.

     
    • Jon Cave 7:26 pm on January 13, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      So many Trac emails to easily distract me from the work I’d rather not be doing… have fun for the next few days and good luck wiping up the last few bugs!

  • Andrew Nacin 5:54 pm on January 12, 2011 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee, headdesk,   

    Bulk action issues are somewhat outlined in #16166 #16031 #16187. We’ve been able to group the issues into four problems.

    Four problems needing solving:

    Problem 1. Wontfix for 3.1. Custom Bulk Actions don’t have action handlers. Even if they existed, developers would need to know that they need to call WP_List_Table::add_query_args() before wp_redirect. We need a way for this to be pluggable without burdening developers on redirecting (plus with their own query args).

    Problem 2. Fixed. We need a sanity check for max pages. This is #16187. Basically, this needs to be applied to any other appropriate list tables. Most major ones (posts, comments, media) are handled though.

    Problem 3. Bulk Actions reset the sorting and paging. This is fixed in #16166 (posts, terms, comments, media) but we need to apply this to the other list tables.

    Problem 4. Post restriction filters — categories and dates, for example, but really anything added through restrict_manage_posts — are reset after a bulk action the same way sorting and paging are. This can be added into add_query_args().

    The plan at the meetup here is to break on all of this, and revisit later.

     
  • Jen Mylo 6:17 am on January 12, 2011 Permalink
    Tags: #wptybee, ,   

    We talked about doing a town hall/q&a during dev chat time this week since most of the permanent core team are at the meetup in Tybee. However, we said that with the assumption that 3.1 would be in RC3 already, and that we’d have had 3 days together to begin talking about 2011 and the goals for WP. Instead, weather-related travel delays meant that people were arriving right up until tonight, and Austin still hasn’t arrived. RC3 hasn’t happened yet, and we haven’t started talking vision because we need to get 3.1 out the door. So!

    We’ll still give the live stream a shot (barring technical difficulties), but it will instead simply be “dev chat live” — only of interest to people who normally attend the dev chat. We’ll plan something in the town hall/q&a line later in the week.

    To get to the live dev chat, go to http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dev-chat-live at the appropriate time and you’ll get the chance to see the lead devs and friends in action. And yes, by friends I mean their beards. :)

    Agenda: 3.1, 3.1, 3.1, 3.1, 3.1.

     
    • Andrew Nacin 6:29 am on January 12, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      It’s worth noting that the only four tickets are related to bulk actions. It’s clear this aspect was not well tested or thought through, and we need to do some serious triage and decisions asap. It’s frustrating and I’m sure this will be part of our own post mortem when 3.1 is over.

      Particularly since they’re more hypothetical than practical, reverting anything in ajax bulk actions is fine with a number of us, based on an informal poll over alcohol. :-)

    • arena 8:31 am on January 13, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Hi all ! is the ustream video dev chat available somewhere ? thanks !

      • Jane Wells 11:50 am on January 13, 2011 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Please see the subsequent post in which it clearly states that we did not do the video chat, as we experienced technical difficulties.

c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel