WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Make WordPress Core

Tagged: dev chat Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Mark Jaquith 8:49 pm on January 16, 2013 Permalink
    Tags: dev chat   

    Agenda for the weekly dev chat:

    1. Feature team updates
    2. Set up schedule for more frequent feature team updates
    3. Unstick anyone who is stuck
    4. Rallying call for Ryan’s code maint ticket list

     
    • Schwarttzy 8:55 pm on January 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Hi, I’m new to this whole WordPress Core thing and would like to add to the core with an idea I have to help responsive web designers with featured images. Basically, add an option for setting an aspect ratio, instead of defining some fixed width and height. How do I get started?

      • Amy Hendrix (sabreuse) 11:51 pm on January 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Hi Schwarttzy, and welcome! If you’re interested in contributing, you should start with the Core Contributor Handbook, which has a lot of information about the process and the tools we use:

        http://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/

        It’s also incredibly useful to drop in on a few of the weekly dev chats in IRC — even though a lot of what happens there is updates on what different teams are doing, it’ll give you a good idea of what’s going on as well as the whole workflow. You’re also welcome to ask in #wordpress-dev if you need more help getting started; there’s usually someone around outside of meeting times.

        As for responsive images, there’s an existing ticket to make heights and widths filterable, although it hasn’t seen any action in a few months: you might want to start with getting familiar with the discussion and patches that have already happened in that effort. Check out #14110

  • Andrew Nacin 7:08 pm on November 14, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , dev chat   

    Today’s dev chat, starting in two hours:

    • Triage http://core.trac.wordpress.org/report/5. No ticket should be without an owner, a path forward, and a timeline.
    • Discuss timeline for RC1 and how we are all feeling.
    • Things we need to do (or start thinking about) to prepare for a final release:
      • We need an About page of features. So, what are our wins?
      • Full sweeps for RTL, help text, IE, no JS, the blue color scheme, performance regressions, and 100% passing unit tests.
      • Continue to scan the support forums and awaiting review tickets reported against trunk to ensure we don’t miss anything.
      • Brainstorm what features and API changes need written tutorials (the “field guide”), and get people on board to research and write them.
      • Figure out what changes might need “3.5 compat” posts. The wpdb::prepare() argument change comes to mind, and obviously parts of media.

    All tickets should have people responsible for them, but also, so should all of these release preparation tasks. There’s something in there for everyone — bug gardeners, documentation, research, testing, etc.

     
  • Andrew Nacin 5:14 pm on November 7, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , dev chat   

    Dev chat is moving from 2000 UTC to 2100 UTC, as daylight saving time has gone into affect in both the US and UK. This keeps the meeting at 4 PM U.S. Eastern (a little under 4 hours from now).

    Agenda for today is to shore up http://core.trac.wordpress.org/report/6 and ready another beta to be kicked out the door.

     
  • Andrew Nacin 5:12 pm on September 20, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , dev chat,   

    Timeline for Twenty Twelve 1.0 — final testing window 

    During the dev chat yesterday (logs), it was determined that the timeline for Twenty Twelve’s release to the WordPress.org theme directory will be next week.

    That means if you have any bugs to report against Twenty Twelve, please do so now! It’s time for final reviews. Once 1.0 is released, it will be very tough for us to make style or code changes, as we will then need to avoid breaking child themes (both code wise, and stylistically).

    So, if you haven’t looked at Twenty Twelve yet, now’s the time. Here’s the demo site: http://twentytwelvedemo.wordpress.com. Also, if you’re using the Beta Tester plugin instead of a checkout from Subversion, you may not have Twenty Twelve installed and up to date. In that case, here’s a direct link to download a ZIP.

    (@westi, @dd32, we should adjust how beta theme installs are handled…)

     
  • Andrew Nacin 6:35 pm on July 18, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , , dev chat   

    The agenda for today’s weekly project meeting:

    • Affirm deadlines and scope. Check in on the proposed feature scope for 3.5.
    • Teams. Form an initial set of feature development teams. This is about establishing responsibility for each feature, focusing ourselves on our goals, and making sure we have enough volunteers across the various projects. You don’t need to be at this meeting to “join” a team, nor do you need to be on a team to contribute.
    • APIs. Discuss potential platform and API improvements, particularly those that tie into the proposed features. (For example, ImageMagick support would be a great pitch, given changes to image handling.) XML-RPC and other perennial improvements should also be discussed.
    • Unit tests. What’s changed, and what our goals should be.
     
  • Andrew Nacin 12:20 am on July 11, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , , dev chat,   

    Version 3.5 Scope Session on Wednesday, July 11 

    Per our previous dev meeting, the 3.5 feature scope session will be taking place at 20:00 UTC on July 11 (tomorrow). (#wordpress-dev on irc.freenode.net — this is our regular place and time; see the sidebar.)

    These meetings usually go long (1.5-2 hours), so this one will focus primarily on determining deadlines and planning out features. API/platform development (you know, the “Under the Hood” stuff) happens organically throughout the cycle anyway, so we may push those conversations to next week. (We’ve already been focusing on quite a few enhancements and bugs over the last few weeks thanks to near-daily bug scrubs, which I want to continue.)

    Come armed with ideas and an open mind — see you tomorrow!

     
  • Andrew Nacin 3:34 pm on June 28, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: dev chat,   

    During yesterday’s meeting, we decided on a daily bug scrub starting today (June 28) until July 10 (weekdays, and skipping July 4), at 19:00 UTC, an hour before our typical Wednesday meetings. This is a pilot; I hope to carry this idea through the dev cycle.

    Additionally, there will be a meeting on Friday, June 29 at 20:00 UTC to discuss automated testing, with @maxcutler, Kurt Payne, and others.

    We expect the dev chat on July 11 to be the session where we plan the features and scope for WordPress 3.5.

    For the next two weeks, we’d like to put a focus on housekeeping — focusing on things that need early attention for 3.5, things that often get missed like triaging Trac tickets, and acting on tickets with patches ready for review/commit/feedback. The daily bug scrubs will try to pull all of it together. Let’s see if we can bring down the size of the Awaiting Review report, start hammering on the 3.5 report, and sifting through Future Release.

     
  • Andrew Nacin 3:13 am on June 27, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , dev chat   

    Proposed agenda for our June 27 weekly project meeting:

    • Status check for 3.4.1.
    • Discuss potential timelines for 3.5. This includes picking a date for a 3.5 feature/task scope session. Next week is Independence Day in the U.S., so I am thinking July 11.
    • Discuss other 3.5 goals, aside from features/tasks. What are things that need early attention, which we can begin to address now? Who wants to spearhead X, Y, or Z this cycle? (Where possibilities could include targeted enhancements, a new API for X, performance profiling of Y, unit tests for Z, etc.) We already have a lot of tickets in report/6 and there are a lot of tickets flagged for 3.5-early attention, so now is the time to step up.

    While we won’t be finalizing our 3.5 plans this meeting, no time like the present to start following if you want to contribute this cycle. 20:00 UTC.

     
    • Japh 3:24 am on June 27, 2012 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Looking forward to this one. Thanks for the early post, Nacin :)

    • Peter Westwood 4:35 pm on June 27, 2012 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m not going to make this weeks meeting but I think that we should focus now on the things that get missed too often like triaging trac and going through the 3.5-early tickets and the bug fix ones with patches on them to review, commit/feedback so that we can benefit from these contributions.

      That gives us a clear focus for now while we discuss the 3.5 feature ideas.

  • Andrew Nacin 7:31 pm on June 20, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , dev chat   

    Quick agenda for today’s dev chat (starts in 30 minutes, at 20:00 UTC) —

    • Discuss fallout of 3.4 release (bug reports, support volumes, etc.)
    • Triage 3.4.1 tickets
     
  • Jen Mylo 8:20 pm on May 23, 2012 Permalink
    Tags: , dev chat   

    Pre-RC Dev Chat 5/23/2012 Live Blog 

    • #16079 Automatic excerpts don’t work well with Chinese txt (word counting): Nacin is handling. Westi closed for 3.4.
    • #20703 wp.getComments logs in the user (1 + #comments) times: Unit tests = fast track to commit. Ryan doing so.
    • #20699 AJAX Actions now pass the action name as an arg: reverting to 3.3 behavior, Ryan will handle it. Re-assess for 3.5.
    • #20448 Update Twenty Ten and Twenty Eleven to use 3.4 features: Koop and Nacin to review Lance’s patch.
    • #20554 3.4 Feature Pointers: Change position of the one on Headers to be side pointer. Jane talking to Ryan Ozz.
    • #19599 Localizations should not need to worry about the default secret key: Nacin’s top priority.
    • #8759 Word count function doesn’t work in several languages: Nacin is handling. Westi closed for 3.4, wants new tickets for 3.5 as needed.
    • #20737 Improve appearance of “choose from library” link for headers and backgrounds: Wait and standardize in 3.5.
    • #20507 3.4 Preview/Customize page “Return to Manage Themes” link doesn’t work as expected: Koop says nacin is handling.
    • #20600 Customize and display_header_text(): Koop will fix, patch needs some more love before committing. (Don’t we all.)
    • #20692 Handle unsaved changes in the customizer: change to button style per Jane’s comment on ticket. Helen will try patching.
    • #20736 Move customizer to wp-admin/customize.php: Nacin.
    • #20582 Theme Customizer: IE 8/9 compatibility: @ryan‘s top priority
    • #20733 Theme customizer doesn’t order sections based on order added: @dkoopersmith couldn’t reproduce, others could. Jane suggested punting, but Koop/Ocean90/Sergey looking and will fix if a simple one. Otherwise, a nicety that can wait for 3.5.
    • #20423 About WordPress page for 3.4: Closed. Reopen if any typos, credits will be updated from wordpress.org .

    Tally for remaining ticket assignments:

    • Nacin – 6
    • Koop – 3 + 2 reviews
    • Ryan – 3
    • Helen – 1
    • Ozz – 1
    • Ocean/Sergey – 1
     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel