Summary of 5/21 dev chat (IRC log):
- Posts like the i18n goals one serve as a great model for anybody who has ideas for a feature or component roadmap, whether that’s within one cycle or longer term: a list of concrete goals that can be divided up into specific tasks.
- The make/* blogs should be used as much as possible for discussions and progress updates. Teams that have been using separate P2s but should consider using the make.wordpress.org instead for wider reach and more active participation from the community.
- Keep in mind that plugins are supposed to encourage rapid and possibly wild experimentation – please do not discourage that.
- Think of meetings as blocked out times where you can more reliably get a group together and get unstuck as needed, but we should take advantage of async (Trac, P2) and adhoc (IRC outside of meeting) discussion as much as possible.
- i18n goals for 4.0 have been posted, @nacin is seeking people to help with a lot of it. @yoavf, @kovshenin, @iandunn, @coffee2code, and @otto42 have done or will do some of the i18n tasks.
- JSON REST API was given another week to collate a detailed compare-and-contrast with the other available APIs, including the JSON API plugin and Jetpack/.com’s API, and proven client implementations.
- Media Grid has a narrowed scope for 4.0 inclusion: something more visually driven than the standard list table, much like theme browser brought to themes and is being investigated for plugins in 4.0. Will also fix some long-standing issues that were brought in with 3.5.
- Editor improvement ideas: @markjaquith and @avryl have put together a proof-of-concept plugin that we should smooth out and make a decision on.
Agenda for 5/28:
- Make final decision on JSON REST API.
- One sentence updates from various groups – i18n, media grid, plugins, oEmbed, etc. Come prepared.
Please propose any other agenda items in the comments below.