The props list has been updated on the 4.0 credits page. If you haven’t updated your display name yet, you should totally do that on your support forum profile.
Tagged: 4.0 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
If you’ve been following along with IRC and Trac activity over the last 24 hours, you’ll have noticed that there’s been a lot of it. We’ve had a number of issues pop up, and thus did not reach the targeted freeze of 16:00 UTC on 2014/09/02. If you haven’t been following along, I highly recommend it
Given that, our new release target is shifted back one day to 16:00 UTC on 2014/09/04. We’ll still kick off two hours beforehand with various pre-launch checks and tasks. This means code freeze by 16:00 UTC on 2014/09/03 – just a few short hours from now. I would also like to run a number of those pre-flight checks in the hour or two before freeze to give us an early chance to squash anything that may come up during those. To that end, an RC2 has been built for final testing.
RC1 is here! Proposed agenda for today’s meeting:
- What’s come up in the hours since RC1 was released?
- Keep an eye on support forums and bugs reported against trunk. Great time for triage of non-4.0 tickets as well.
- Plugin developers: update your readmes and add an icon!
- Interesting post on wp-hackers. Feedback welcome.
- Codex page.
- Any blog posts we need to write for developers?
- Are there any plugins we need to ship to show off or extend 4.0 features?
- Release plan.
I’d like to hold an impromptu scrub of remaining 4.0 tickets in about an hour at 20:00 UTC. @nacin and I triaged most tickets earlier today and feel confident that we can finish everything out and get to RC.
We’ve been pushing really hard to get to a place where a final beta and then RC phase are appropriate for the 4.0 development cycle.
This impacts a few things:
- The release date (currently scheduled for August 27, in just two short weeks).
- Finalizing help and about page text, and thus string freeze (and, therefore, translators).
With the help of everybody who’s contributed to this release thus far, we’ve done a really great job with the features we’ve been working on and the overall ticket queue for this milestone. All of that said, we need your help to get the following done:
Needed to reach the final beta
- #28328: Focus on editing, while editing (editor scrolling improvements). There is a comment that outlines a few things we feel need at least consideration before we consider this release-worthy. @stephdau has been working through patching – testing of patches is greatly appreciated, as are bug reports (as always).
- #28842: Media Grid: Bulk selection mode. User testing and further feedback have led us to give a separate selection mode another try. @ericlewis has been doing very heavy lifting throughout the cycle on the feature. There is a patch for testing (not for commit) along with some observations on ticket. Once again, testing and UI/UX observations are very welcome. If you would like to help with patching, please let us know and we can coordinate to avoid duplicate efforts.
Needed before RC1
- Commit or punt all tickets currently slated for the 4.0 milestone. Anybody can help by testing/writing patches or marking tickets for commit or punt using keywords. If you’re not sure, feel free to ask in IRC, on ticket, or just move to the next one.
- Triage all tickets reported against trunk. This is especially important in the RC phase, as we need to monitor things reported against trunk for bugs introduced in the cycle, particularly regressions. Many tickets opened against trunk will apply to earlier versions – please change the version field as appropriate to reflect that. It may help to filter out anything already milestoned for 4.0 or Future Release.
- QA sweeps across browsers and devices, particularly on new features and checking CSS for anything introduced that may not work in IE8 or in some cases IE7. For instance, any usages of CSS calc() need to have a fallback for IE8 and older.
If you’d like to tackle something you see here and would like a little more direction to get started, please leave a comment below or head over to #wordpress-dev in IRC. One or more core developers is likely to be around at most hours.
Finally, for today’s dev chat at 2014-08-13 20:00 UTC, let’s take a quick look at the above, note any other blockers we see, and get people assigned to tasks/tickets as we can.
Proposed agenda for today’s dev chat:
- 3.9.2 and 4.0 beta 3 are out: http://wordpress.org/news/2014/08/wordpress-3-9-2/
- What’s left for beta 4 (likely to be the last)? What’s the timing on that and RC 1?
- 83 open tickets left for this release.
Please propose any other items you might have in the comments.
For today’s dev chat, let’s focus on issues being reported in beta, user testing, and what we need to work on in relation to these to get to the next beta. For reference, the first round of user testing on the media library grid view is up on Make UI.
We haven’t posted weekly summaries in a bit, so here’s a summary of the last three dev chats.
- Beta 1: Shipped last Thursday, July 10. Feedback has been good so far.
- Beta 2: Planned for tonight, July 17. @azaozz updated TinyMCE prior to release. Pending a couple of changes (or not) that @nacin is looking at: #22023 + #5809 and cookies tied to sessions (#20276).
- Testing: Especially want feedback on the following things: plugin modals on many screens + accessibility devices, wpviews, customizer panels, media grid, install language flow.
- Tickets: Generally under control, but still need more area-specific triage.
In general, 4.0 is shaping up with two distinct groups of focuses: editing + platform & writing + global.
Area specific updates:
- Media Grid: Progress update from June 27. Reviews have been good but some help was needed on architectural reviews/revisions, CSS, keyboard accessibility. Attachment details will be tightened up (#28844).
- Plugins: Progress update posted from June 28. Some API changes will take place so we can improve the Install Plugins page with groups of featured plugins. Need i18n attention on the plugin install page, but generally in good shape.
- Customizer: we have panels now, some decisions need to be made about close vs. cancel language and possibly moving to a close icon + AYS
- i18n: Progress update from July 2. Need help to complete things.
- oEmbed: placeholders were added for when embeds are needed but not available—when the admin is SSL and a user pastes non-SSL embed URL, we try to get the SSL, if that fails, we try the non-SSL, if successful, we show the placeholder—the url in the post_content stays as pasted.
- Other updates: Feedback will be posted about URL encoding with media_sideload_image(). Still looking at sessions; possible a schema change or two in there.
As always, daily bug scrubs happen at 15:00 UTC.
For today’s dev chat, let’s check in on how we’re feeling about a beta 2, any blockers we might be seeing, and then do a scrub on tickets, particularly focusing on things that can be committed or punted. Please add any other agenda items in the comments.
Everyone interested is invited to join us! Please feel free to test/review patches prior to tomorrow’s office hours, comment on the tickets etc., everything helps.