WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Make WordPress Core

Recent Updates Page 4 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • samuelsidler 4:40 pm on February 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags:   

    Feature Plugin Chat on March 4 

    As mentioned at this week’s and last week’s meeting, we’re going to be holding a feature plugin chat on March 4 2014 21:00 UTC. If you have an idea for a new feature, this will be a great opportunity to bring it up and find others interested in helping out. In fact, just like we’ve done before, post your feature ideas here.

    Please leave one comment per feature idea with the following information:

    • A brief (one paragraph) overview of your feature plugin proposal.
    • Current plugin status (idea stage, planning stage, under development, existing feature plugin, prior work, etc).
    • A list of those involved or already interested in your feature plugin (including you!)
    • What you’d like help with (scoping, planning, wireframing, development, design, etc).

    This post and the accompanying chat is for posting ideas that you’d be interested in working on. It is not for posting every feature idea you have for WordPress.

    Current feature plugin leads: Please post an update for your plugin here, along with the information above.

    See you all at the chat!

     
    • scotthack 4:52 pm on February 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’d like to see a plugin built that will accept an XML file to import custom post types and taxonomies. That way theme authors can just provide an XML file with their themes. Then the end user can use the import file to create custom post types and taxonomies and it would be imported independent of the theme.

      This is in the idea stage. My coding skills are very basic, so I’d be of little to no help in the coding department. It would need to be picked up by a competent programmer to actually see it through. I’m only able to help with testing, feedback, and idea conception.

    • UaMV 5:33 pm on February 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Extend proper author/contributor support when defining custom post types. Currently, when a CPT is registered with support for ‘author’, the metabox returns a list of users with the author role (even if those users don’t have ‘edit_posts’ capability for the CPT. Even in the standard post editor, the author metabox includes only users with an author role, not necessarily those who can contribute (or have edit_posts capability). I believe this metabox should return any user that has the ‘edit_posts’ capability for the specific post type in which the author metabox is being supported.

      There is currently a plugin, Authors Autocomplete Meta Box, in the repository that extends this functionality.

      Rachel Carden (aka bamadesigner) is the author of this plugin (commissioned by ereleases.com). I have, as of yet, had no contact with her regarding the plugin, but find it of great use on my site with multiple CPTs and multiple custom roles.

      Not sure at the moment how I might assist.

    • Janneke Van Dorpe 6:36 pm on February 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      The Front-end Editor is a plugin that allows posts to be edited on the front-end (so it’s really WYSIWYG) and aims to have all the features available that the back-end editor has.

      It’s currently in development on GitHub and updates a posted weekly on the UI blog.

      I’m the project lead (@avryl) and those who are involved or have shown interest are @azaozz, @brainstormforce, @bravokeyl, @gcorne, @helen, @henrywright, @hugobaeta, @joen‎, @kraftbj, @markjaquith, @melchoyce, @mrahmadawais, @obenland, @protechig‎, @rafaelxt, @rhurling‎, @roundhill, @samuelsidler, @shaunandrews, @tillkruess, @ubernaut, @wholegraindigital and others.

      If you’re interested, take a look on GitHub and join our Skype chat (add jannekevandorpe). The next meeting will be Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 17:00 UTC in #wordpress-ui.

    • Chris Reynolds 12:46 am on February 28, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      AH-O2 (aka Admin Help) is venturing to reimagine the help system in the WordPress admin.

      It’s currently in development is on GitHub with updates being pushed weekly to the WordPress plugin repository. Updates are posted to the Docs and UI P2s.

      I’m the project lead (@jazzs3quence) and other contributors and folks who’ve been involved one way or another are:
      @brainfork, @trishasalas, @jdgrimes, @ubernaut, @zoerooney, @ninnypants, @mdbitz, @clorith, @nikv, and @veraxus

      We need help with:

      1. Documentation — new tooltips are being added to every admin page. Coders (the folks adding them) != writers, so many of these need to be (or will need to be) reviewed, fixed, updated or written. Also, it’s been pointed out that the help overviews we’re building — which replace the help tabs — may not be best suited for the existing documentation in the help tab (which we’re currently pulling from). So help documentation for those areas may need to be edited/changed/added/removed/etc.
      2. Coders — tooltips are added with javascript (and a little php, just to add the translatable string) but fear not! It’s really easy and repetitive. With about 10 minutes of guidance I think I can walk just about anyone through the process of adding a tooltip.
      3. Testers — please break our stuff (and create tickets)! https://github.com/jazzsequence/WordPress-Admin-Help/issues
      Also, extra brownie points to anyone who can test existing, open tickets to confirm/deny a behvior that has an open ticket.

      We meet weekly in #wordpress-sfd on Monday 18:30UTC.

    • Greg Ross 7:50 pm on March 4, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      The Admin Theme Experience is an update to the existing admin theme system to try and match the site theme user interface. It has two primary goals; simplify the creation of admin color themes and bring the Site Theme Experience to admin themes.

      Current plugin status: under development

      A list of those involved or already interested in your feature plugin: Me!

      What you’d like help with: Anyone with knowledge of the current site theme code would be helpful.

  • Scott Kingsley Clark 9:50 pm on February 25, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags:   

    Metadata project update 

    Greetings all! I’m Scott, I’ve been involved as the secondary lead on the project, with primary co-lead Eric Andrew Lewis (@ericlewis). As of today, Eric and I have switched roles. Eric’s time has had a few schedule conflicts pop up, but he’ll still be participating.

    Next Meeting

    We haven’t posted any updates here since January, but I aim to get us back track, starting with a meeting this Friday, February 28th, 2014 19:00 UTC to reboot contributor involvement.

    If you’re interested in joining us and contributing help, please join us, we’ll help assign people tasks and areas to participate.

    Donating dev time to core

    My employer, WebDevStudios, has graciously donated a block of time each week that will be devoted to me working on this project. I’m excited to be more involved and active on a core project. I’ll also be following trac tickets for the Options/Meta component on Trac to help out where I can there. I encourage others to also step up if this project is one your company or team has a vested interest in.

    More info

    If you’d like more information about the Metadata project currently in progress, check out our previous blog posts.

    Also check out the cool dashboard for the Options/Meta API component!

     
  • John Blackbourn 9:58 am on February 25, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags:   

    Contributors Wanted for WP Contributor Day, Manchester, UK 

    WP Contributor Day is a free, one day event focused on enabling and demystifying how everyone can contribute to core. The first event is this coming Saturday – 1st March.

    The organiser, Jenny Wong, is looking for existing contributors to come along and help guide the new contributors.

    From the poll of people who have already signed up, it would be great to have a couple of people from core, themes, plugins, documentation, support and accessibility come to Manchester for the day. Those are the current most popular areas.

    More information can be found at wpcontributorday.com.

    If anyone wants to contact Jenny, she can be found on Twitter at miss_jwo or via email at wpcd@jwong.co.uk.

     
  • Mike Schroder 8:01 am on February 25, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: ,   

    Last Week in WordPress Core 

    Howdy! This is Last Week in WordPress Core for the week of February 17th-February 23rd. A few commits to highlight this week, but before we get to that, a quick update from the trac sprint last friday.

    Friday Trac Sprint

    Thanks to everyone who participated! Great progress was made during the trac sprint last friday, triaging and replying to the tickets that need a response. Working together, we brought the number of tickets down by 200! But, we’re not done yet! Minus the 50 tickets created by committers/gardners, there are 191 left. If you’re interested in helping out, check out @nacin‘s notes on providing feedback. As always, feel free to ask for help in #wordpress-dev if you run into any questions.

    Internals & Backbone.js

    • Added support for ext/mysqli, which will be used by default in PHP 5.5 or greater. Please test this, as it’s quite possible it will cause issues. r27250 #21663
    • Updated Backbone.js to version 1.1.2. r27233 #27182
    • Added an abstraction for groups of media in media-editor.js called wp.media.collection and refactored galleries to use them. r27212 r27213 r27214 r27215 r27238 #26631
    • Added boolean return values to require_if_theme_supports(). r27217 #26716
    • Declared and documented $wpdb->base_prefix. r27249 #16762

    Media

    • First pass of a/v playlist support. Please test, and note on the bug if you notice anything amiss! A few details from the commits: ( r27239 r27242 r27243 r27244 r27245 #26631 )
      • Playlists operate like galleries in the admin.
      • Provides default UI and JS support in themes using MediaElement and Backbone.
      • The shortcodes are clickable, editable, and configurable using the media modal.
      • Playlists support images for each item, whether or not the current theme supports images for attachment:audio and attachment:video
      • Playlists respond to $content_width and resize videos accordingly.
      • All playlist data is included inline, using a script tag with type="application/json", allowing anyone to unenqueue the WP playlist JS and roll their own.
      • Playlist styles are minimal and work out of the box in the last 5 default themes. They inherit and adapt to the current theme’s font styles, and their rules are easily overrideable.

    Dev/Build Tools

    For the complete list of commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac. Want to help out this week? Write or test a patch for 3.9.

    Thanks to aaroncampbell, avryl, azaozz, bcworkz, brasofilo, corvannoorloos, danielbachhuber, dougwollison, DrewAPicture, ericlewis, gcorne, helen, ipstenu, jeffsebring, jorbin, juliobox, kovshenin, kpdesign, MattyRob, meloniq, nacin, netweb, ocean90, OriginalEXE, pento, scribu, SergeyBiryukov, shelob9, theorboman, TobiasBg, wonderboymusic, and everyone who helped out with the ticket triage last Friday for their efforts this week!

     
  • Jen Mylo 7:00 pm on February 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: ,   

    We’ve been accepted as a mentoring organization for GSoC! Now comes the work of interacting with potential students on wp-hackers (let’s try to be responsive, and nice) and in #wordpress-dev and #wordpress-gsoc (I’ll set up a few scheduled chats soon, but idle in the channel if you can to field questions) during the application period. Mentors, I’ll contact you within the next couple of days to set up chat times and discuss the application review process.

    Thanks to everyone who helped get our Ideas page filled!

     
  • Andrew Nacin 11:29 pm on February 20, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment  

    Friday Trac Sprint 

    I mentioned this in the dev chat on Wednesday: Join us tomorrow (Friday, February 21) for a sprint through Trac tickets that need a reply!

    A few weeks ago I said one goal of mine for the 3.9 cycle was to make contributing easier and more accessible. That’s why so much work has gone into improving our tools in the last few months. One task is to empty one particular report of tickets: tickets that need a response. After that, I’d like to keep it empty.

    As of this writing, there are 386 tickets on this report. (The report shows 441, as that includes another 55 opened by a committer.) Help us empty this report!

    To best coordinate a few dozen people all trying to comment on a few hundred tickets, please join us in #wordpress-dev in IRC. We’ll break these tickets into chunks, such as by age, component, or focus.

    We’ll have people in IRC all day to help you out if you haven’t triaged tickets or given feedback before. There is a whole set of guidelines in the comments below@SergeyBiryukov and @ocean90 will be around for morning in Europe, and I’ll be around starting at around 9 a.m. U.S. Eastern.

     
    • Andrew Nacin 7:53 am on February 21, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      The main goals here are to make sure that tickets and patches have received some form of initial feedback. That’s just the first step in a long process, of course, but it’s an important one. If you’re new to this, here’s some tips on how you might approach and handle a ticket:

      When giving feedback for a ticket:

      • Thank the individual for the report. Some of these tickets are quite old; for those, a simple “Thanks for the report nacin. Sorry you never got a response.” is fine.
      • If this was one of the reporter’s first tickets, it will tell you above the comment box. Be nice. :-)
      • If it’s a support request, you can refer them to the WordPress.org support forums and close the ticket as “invalid”.
      • If it’s a bug report that sounds like an enhancement, then change the ticket to an enhancement. Enhancements are a bit more difficult to triage (as the feedback is more subjective), so it’s much easier to start with bugs.
      • Consider a quick search to see if it is a duplicate of another ticket that may be farther along.
      • If there’s a component that is more appropriate for the ticket, feel free to move it.

      If it’s a bug report:

      • See if you can still reproduce it in trunk. (And/or try 3.8.1.) Some bug reports may have been invalid to begin with; others might have been fixed already.
      • If when reproducing it, you feel you can elaborate on the issue, or write clearer steps to reproduce, please do so.
      • If you can’t reproduce it, ask the reporter for more information and add the “reporter-feedback” keyword. If you think the ticket should be closed, you can mark it with the “close” keyword. (There doesn’t need to be a rush to close the ticket.)

      If it has a patch:

      • Test it out — does it fix the problem? How did you test it? Did you notice any side effects?
      • If the patch doesn’t apply cleanly (as in, it fails when you try), add the “needs-refresh” keyword.
      • If you’re a developer, consider doing even just a cursory code review.
      • If the “has-patch” workflow keyword is missing, add it. Or, if after review you don’t find the patch to be sufficient, you can set it to “needs-patch” instead.
      • If you feel the patch is ready to be reviewed by a core developer to be considered for inclusion in WordPress, simply say so.

      It might take only a few minutes to triage some of the more straightforward tickets, especially once you get the hang of it. You could easily spend twenty or thirty minutes on others, or even longer if there’s a lot to test or if you have a lot of feedback to give. Take your time; the post calls this a “sprint” but it’s not a race!

      If you come across a ticket you like and want to write a patch for it, that’s great! Feel free to leave feedback on the ticket and start working on a patch. If you end up working on just that for today, that’s totally fine — there are a lot of others working through this list of tickets, too. Triaging can be a great way to find tickets that interest you.

      A number of us will be in #wordpress-dev to help you out. So people don’t overlap, we’ll try to point you to a particular collection of tickets, based on your interests. If you’re unsure what to do for a particular ticket, feel free to move on. Or even better: Ask in IRC and we can talk through it.

      (If you are craving even more detail on triaging tickets, the contributor handbook has a whole page on bug gardening.)

  • Scott Taylor 9:04 pm on February 20, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: , , playlists,   

    Audio / Video 2.0 Update – Playlists 

    Previously: http://make.wordpress.org/core/2014/01/29/audiovideo-2-0-update/

    It has been a slow and steady burn of commits related to media and necessary for playlists:
    [27059], [27063], [27907], [27100], [27127], [27209], [27212], [27213], [27214], [27215]

    A few items for conversation….

    Thumbnails for Audio and Video

    We have been parsing the ID3 tags in audio and video files on upload since 3.6. ID3 tags, in many cases, contain the binary bits for an image related to the item (album cover, still, etc). On upload, if your theme and the relevant pseudo post type for attachment:audio or attachment:video registered support for thumbnails AND your current theme supported it, we would upload the image bits and attach to the media item as its featured image.

    So basically it was a hidden feature, because it required you to jump through hoops to turn it on.

    add_post_type_support( 'attachment:audio', 'thumbnail' );
    add_post_type_support( 'attachment:video', 'thumbnail' );
    add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails', array( 'post', 'attachment:audio', 'attachment:video' ) );
    

    On top of that, if you switch themes, and the theme doesn’t support thumbnails for audio or video, the images will no longer appear alongside the media on the Edit Media page. Weird.

    Playlists are best enjoyed with images, videos are best enjoyed with poster images. Soundcloud is doing some awesome things with images in their embeds – see a few on the homepage here: http://highforthis.com. Moral of the story: I think this support should be on by default. Alternately, we could add that code to every default theme’s functions.php, but then what if you switch themes…

    Playlist UI

    As I mentioned previously, the UI for playlists needs to be:
    1) Adaptable
    2) Extensible
    3) Generic

    Translation: it needs to show up in a theme without much drama, inherit the style of the theme, respond the theme’s $content_width, all while allowing you to completely override this behavior. So, what I have is an ultra generic design controlled by settings in the media modal:

    Playlist Settings
    I have tested this in the last 5 default themes:

    Twenty Fourteen

    Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.47.59 PM

    Twenty Thirteen

    Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.48.58 PM

    Twenty Twelve

    Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.49.22 PM

    Twenty Eleven

    Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.50.10 PM

    Twenty Ten

    Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.50.49 PM
    I would like to drop this code in soon, but I wanted to give an opportunity for feedback. All of this can easily be iterated upon once it goes in.

    Documentation of 3.5 Media Code

    This is ongoing – there has been a lot of code churn in the Backbone code, by myself and others, I’ll be picking this back up once that settles down.

     
    • Chris Reynolds 9:16 pm on February 20, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m soooo excited about this feature.

    • Eric 9:20 pm on February 20, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Oh sweet! Please oh please tell me that API support is planned!

    • ScreenfeedFr 9:50 pm on February 20, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’ve been working on similar things recently (bulk import of audio files + multiple playlists among other funny things).

      I came across a problem for the thumbnail (I use the ID3 tag too): detect duplicates. If you upload 10 audio files from the same album, you’ll have 10 identical image attachments too :|

      So far, the only way I have to avoid creating the same image attachment multiple times, is to store the raw data in an array until the bulk import ends, and check for duplicate for each audio file. So it’s pretty limited, but it works, as long as you import all the album files within the same import.

      Did you find a way?

      • Manny Fleurmond 3:57 am on February 21, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Maybe store the images on a per album basis?

        • Manuel Schmalstieg 10:12 am on February 21, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          @Manny : This would be a problem for Nine Inch Nails though, where some albums have different artwork for each track.

        • ScreenfeedFr 12:35 am on February 23, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          @Manny @Manuel Schmalstieg:
          Indeed, each track could have its own artwork within the same album, that’s why I ran into this duplicate detection :/
          It’s too bad but I think we can’t do anything for that :(

          • Scott Taylor 1:22 pm on February 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

            we could store an md5 of the bits as the guid and possibly check before uploading – might tackle that after this initially goes in.

            • ScreenfeedFr 9:21 pm on February 24, 2014 Permalink

              That sounds like a good solution to me :)
              I’m looking forward to see what will happen with themes/plugins that use the guid as url :D (evil laugh)

    • bfintal 1:28 am on February 21, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Playlists look geat!

    • Justin Kopepasah 8:38 am on February 21, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      This feature looks awesome. Great work Scott. Looking forward to diving in.

    • Manuel Schmalstieg 10:36 am on February 21, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Looking awesome indeed! Just one little thing: on a site that is run by a band, they should be able to switch off the “by NAME OF THE ARTIST” after each track title. This seems even more important than showing/hiding the track numbers. Especially if it’s an annoyingly long band name, all in uppercase. :)

    • Diego de Oliveira 5:35 am on February 23, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I would love to see an easy way to get thumbnails for uploaded audio / video! Working on the CEUX project we have content blocks for media. Getting a poster image for fetched video (at least for youtube and vimeo) is easy, as the providers have an API that allows it, but getting this for self hosted media is another case. And media playlists is a great feature that we didn’t thought about yet. Maybe we’ll need a content block for that!

    • tiaurus 1:45 pm on March 28, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      What about Cyrillic and other non-latin symbols in audio tags in playlist?

    • sourceforge 10:49 am on April 17, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      The metadata is extracted from mp3 uploaded, what-if I am using remote url, can we fetch the ID3 tags? or maybe have global and local options for a playlist that can edited manually using shortcode

    • sourceforge 11:05 am on April 17, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      [26825], sorry

    • jk3us 7:24 pm on April 17, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Can you have a playlist of externally hosted audio files?

  • Mike Schroder 7:32 am on February 18, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: ,   

    Last Week in WordPress Core 

    Hello there! This is Last Week in WordPress Core for the week of February 10th-February 16th. Let’s start out by highlighting JavaScript library updates, then changes to how we build CSS for core, finally touching on TinyMCE, internals, and multisite.

    Backbone.js and Underscore.js

    • Backbone was updated from 1.0 to 1.1, and Underscore to 1.6. If you have a plugin that is built on the backbone-based libraries in core, you’ll want to test for compatibility and update accordingly. We’ll be working with the plugins group to notify as many authors as possible. r27170 #26799
      • Collection set/add/remove/reset methods now return models, not this, so they can no longer be chained.
    • Updated media-views and wp.Backbone.View for Backbone 1.1. r27171 #26799
      • Options passed to Backbone.View‘s constructor are no longer attached automatically. wp.Backbone.View now handles this.

    Dev/Build Tools:

    • Use grunt-autoprefixer for CSS vendor prefixes. As a first step, add prefixes we were missing to core CSS, and remove prefixes that we no longer need, including all from colors CSS. r27174 #27078 The plan is the following:
      • Core CSS files will keep prefixes. grunt autoprefixer:core will update files directly in src/ as a pre-commit step, rather than doing it on build.
      • Color CSS files will receive prefixes when they are built.
    • Add grunt precommit for running front-end dev and test tasks before commit. This includes autoprefixer, imagemin, jshint, and qunit. r27176 #27121 #25169 #27078
    • Add grunt imagemin:core task for optimizing images pre-commit. Adds grunt-contrib-imagemin, so an npm install will be required. r27172 #25169
    • Optimize 69 images (of 127) using the new Grunt task. r27173 #25169
    • Rename the old media.css file, used for the pre-3.5 media library, to deprecated-media.css. r27181 #26669

    TinyMCE:

    • Add image based placeholders for audio and video shortcodes. r27169 #27016
    • Add support for audio and video shortcodes without closing. r27177 #27016
    • Incremental changes in TinyMCE’s new charmap popup, including allowing multiple-character insert. r27179 r27165 #27107

    Internals & Multisite:

    • Detect and handle symlinking of plugins in plugin_basename(). (Yay!) r27158 #16953
    • Add get_network_by_path() and wp_get_network() to begin cleanup of multisite load. Likely to continue to change throughout 3.9 r27178 #27003
    • Rather than removing the 3rd argument in WP_Object_Cache::delete(), mark it as $deprecated. See r27064. r27162 #22478
    • Partially revert r27101, r27102, r27141, and r27142, removing new cache synchronization functions in favor of a simpler solution that alters existing internals. r27163 #14485 #22526

    Thanks to azaozz, bpetty, DrewAPicture, gcorne, georgestephanis, jdgrimes, jeremyfelt, jorbin, kovshenin, mikemanger, MikeSchinkel, nacin, ocean90, pavelevap, rmccue, SergeyBiryukov, and wonderboymusic for their help this week!

    For the complete list of commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac.

    It’s important that we reduce the amount of tickets slated for 3.9, as we work towards beta on March 5th. Want to help out this week? Write or test a patch for 3.9.

     
    • Michael Arestad 8:12 pm on February 18, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m glad Autoprefixer has been added. Huge timesaver.

    • Xavier Borderie 8:52 pm on February 18, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Again, thank you for this Mike!

    • programmin 4:41 am on February 19, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Nice! One problem though – has anyone else noticed the beta nightly downloader is still updating 3.9-alpha-27111, same as last week? Do we need to pull the latest from SVN to get these new features?

      • Dion Hulse 4:43 am on February 19, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        We bump the revision number in the version string manually, which normally only happens after we update CSS/JS and/or are in beta/RC time.
        Rest assured that although the version string hasn’t updated, the nightly build it’s downloading was built last night.

  • Jen Mylo 6:16 pm on February 13, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags: ,   

    GSoC 2014 Application Status 

    I’ve submitted our GSoC application. If anyone is interested in seeing the essay/short-answer questions they ask and how I answered them, I posted that part of the application over at http://make.wordpress.org/community/2014/02/13/gsoc-2014-application/

    If you haven’t posted an idea to the codex page http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2014 but have time now, go ahead and add it. More ideas = more possible students applying for something that grabs their attention. Also, Google will be reviewing applications Feb 17-21, so adding more ideas (don’t forget to use the template and provide description) between now and the 17th is especially helpful. Not having enough ideas is why we didn’t get accepted in 2012.

    Google will announce participating organizations on February 24.

     
  • Andrew Nacin 8:15 am on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to leave a Comment
    Tags:   

    Please suggest agenda items for the February 12 developer meeting.

    Aside from usual 3.9 stuff, we’re going to be using part of this meeting for brainstorming for GSoC.

    Here’s the agenda thread and meeting notes from last week, as a point of reference.

     
    • Jen Mylo 8:21 am on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      If people want to write up their ideas for GSoC projects in advance, that would be great in terms of keeping things going. I’ll be submitting our GSoC application immediately following the dev chat, so if anyone has ideas but won’t be at the meeting, go ahead and post them at http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2014. Thanks!

    • Rami Yushuvaev 12:20 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      How about a “Road Map” for upgrading the minimum requirements to PHP 5.4 and MySQL 5.5 (or any other version you choose). The purpose of the roadmap is to set a time frame, not choosing technology.

      The roadmap should be spread over a long period of time (let’s say 2 years from now), enough time for web hosts to make the proper adjustments. WordPress has three major version per year, this means WordPress 4.4 will require the new minimum requirements.

      The road map will not be a binding, meaning that if core developers will decide to upgrade the minimum requirements in wp4.6 or wp4.8 the road map can be changed. BUT, setting a time table is important, for plugin developers, web hosts, and core developers. It allows everyone the get ready for the upcoming change.

      • Bryan Petty 7:34 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        It’s been mentioned many times that we should not become “a protest piece at the expense of our users”, and this is specifically mentioned in regards to setting hard deadlines for bumping minimum server requirements. We cater to our users, not dictate what they need by abandoning millions of users at arbitrary points, especially if they still account for more than 10% of WP installations.

        We still haven’t dropped PHP 5.2 support, and given the rate of use shown in the stats, that still isn’t happening for another couple years. Dropping 5.3 is probably more than 5 or 6 years down the road, and isn’t even worth thinking about right now.

        When the time comes, you can be assured there will be plenty of notice, but it won’t even be necessary for most since it will only apply to less than 10% of users.

    • Dominik Schilling (ocean90) 3:11 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      State of #27078 (Autoprefixer), #26669 (wp-admin.css split) and #26799 (Backbone update).

    • Daniel Bachhuber 3:29 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’d like to discuss #316 if it’s not too big of a conversation.

    • Tom Auger 4:47 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Let’s talk about all the great things that are happening with the Image Editor and Media Modal. I’m seeing the following tickets which are all tangential to each other: #24409 (which is awesome), #26672, #24567, #18947, #26870 (thank the gods), #21811 (which has turned into a much bigger deal than I thought) and #21810 (which seems to be a refresh of #19889).

      This all seems like “a thing”. @wonderboymusic, @gcorne and others seem to have things well in hand, but I’d like to see a little more sharing around all the great things that are going on, and where help / discussion / review is needed.

    • Aaron Jorbin 8:54 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’d love to find out if anyone else has comments on #27023 and if people think grunt-patch is ready for me to tag it in npm and for us to add it.

    • Andrew Nacin 8:56 pm on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Agenda:

      • CSS/JS: Autoprefixer #27078, wp-admin.css #26669, Backbone update #26799
      • 3.9 status reports for teams/projects/tasks
      • Widgets Customizer merge: old style widgets + options API issue (details in the meeting)
      • Any other logjams or stuck situations we need to address
      • GSoC brainstorming

      We can hopefully get through all but the last point pretty quickly.

c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel