Welcome back to Last Week In WordPress Core, for the week of January 27-February 2. Big list this time! First, a summary of the major changes; then a roundup from the various 3.9 teams:
Enhancements and hooks
- The first run for a refreshed “Edit Image” modal inside TinyMCE landed, which includes a “replace image” function. Work continues on #24409, if you’d like to help out!
- Previews of different posts now open in different windows/tabs! #20233
- Allow chromeless embedding of YouTube videos with
- Autocomplete for the “new site” admin e-mail address in multisite. #25348
- Arguments are now included when filtering
- New Hook,
resetpass_form, in wp-login.php #21044
wp_upgradehooks to the respective functions. #25762
- Initial patch to reconnect when the MySQL server “goes away” has landed, with a request for feedback on how to make the solution more fool-proof on #5932.
- Improved Compatibility with MySQL 5.6, which has stricter default SQL modes.
TRADITIONAL. Introduces filterable
incompatible_sql_modesfilter for plugins. #26847
- We now throw a notice when wpdb::prepare() is called without a placeholder. #25604
wpdb::db_connect(), allow the loading of a translatable custom database error template. #25703
Miscellaneous, including library updates
- Properly invalidate the cache for wp_count_posts() on insert, trash, or when transitioning post_status. #21879
$forceargument removed from
WP_Object_Cache::delete(), which was internal-only. #22478
- TinyMCE updated to 4.0.16. #24067
- Dashicons updated to latest. Adds line break, paragraph, code, and bbPress. #26936
- MediaElement.js updated to 2.13.2. #26954
- Update the versions of several
npm installto receive updates for
node_modulesin the project root. #26073
3.9 status reports
Here are roughly where each of the 3.9 teams/tasks stood as of last week’s meeting:
- Media Modal: “Initial version of the single image editor landed, which includes the ability to replace the image and update the main set of attributes (e.g. caption, alt, alignment, link).” (@gcorne) (#21811)
- Image Editor: “have a proof-of-concept plugin ready awaiting input on how to modularize the Editor and make it extensible and flexible. Working on a patch that introduces a few well-placed hooks.” (@tomauger) (#21811)
- Rendering in the editor: “Going to dig into rendering galleries in the visual editor using a wpview and building on some of the work that i did in https://github.com/gcorne/gallery-editor.” (@gcorne) (#26628, #26959)
- TinyMCE: All looks good on this front, #24067. “We’ve also started looking at restyling TinyMCE modals to match the admin, #26952″(@azaozz, @melchoyce)
- Audio/Video: There’s an update post by @wonderboymusic.
Other UI work:
- Widget Customizer: “We’re running more users tests; Working on keyboard accessibility features; Trying to figure out support for wide widgets; Asked for some code review/notes; And digesting feedback from our recent p2 post.” (@shaunandrews)
- Settings screens: “We had a meeting yesterday to divvy up the redux. I’m looking at reordering of information across screens, @melchoyce is experimenting with UI approaches, and @Ipstenu is looking at cleaning up the multisite ‘edit site/settings’ view. We hope to be posting sketches/wireframes [this] week.” Also, they’re again looking at lifting post by email from core. (@jenmylo)
- Accessibility: we are testing 3.8.1 admin screens for keyboard accessibility. (@joedolson)
- Autocomplete: After the new site email address autocomplete landed (#25348), now looking into other areas — users (#19867) and pages (#9864). (@helen)
- CSS: Work continues on the colors.css merge to prep for splitting up wp-admin.css. (@helen, #18380, #26669).
Fun with internals:
- Multisite: “Our tickets are focused. [As in, reorganized into the 'multisite' focus.] I’ve been digging through ms-load.php, ms-settings.php, etc in prep for some fun domain routing work. Would like to compare thoughts on approach soon and get moving on that.” (@jeremyfelt)
- New Grunt-based Patching Tool: “I’ve been using it locally and haven’t run into any issues. Will be opening a ticket on Trac with a patch and instructions in the next few days.” (@jorbin)
- Taxonomy: Hope to start with the first few tickets on the roadmap this week. (@nacin)
Housekeeping items last week included a call for GSoC participation from @jenmylo, and trac component reorganization proposal from @nacin. The reorganization was approved during the chat on Wednesday and is well under way. Additionally, there’s now a new Trac reports overlay and Trac’s navigation got overhauled.
For the complete changelog commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac.
More than three dozen contributors had a hand in last week’s efforts. Want to help out this week? Write or test a patch for 3.9.
Thanks for contributions this week from atimmer, aubreypwd, azaozz, c3mdigital, cmmarslender, coffee2code, Denis-de-Bernardy, DrewAPicture, empireoflight, gcorne, helen, ippetkov, jeremyfelt, joehoyle, johnjamesjacoby, JoshuaAbenazer, kovshenin, kpdesign, kraftbj, mark8barnes, markjaquith, MattyRob, mdbitz, melchoyce, nacin, neoxx, nofearinc, ocean90, olivM, oso96_2000, ounziw, pento, romaimperator, sbruner, SergeyBiryukov, soulseekah, TobiasBg, toszcze, wonderboymusic, and yoavf!