Hey Everyone! This is Last Week in WordPress Core for the week of March 10–16. It’s been a busy week after Beta 1. Here are some highlights from the week:
- Appearance: Bring the theme browsing experience from 3.8 to the theme installer.  #27055
- Customizer: Add header image uploads with cropping to the customizer.  #21785
- Plugin Management: Restyle the plugin install details modal to match the rest of the admin.  #26952
- Edit Post: Correct the “View Post” button link when changing a post slug.  #16477
- Admin Colors: Revert , fix color scheme stylesheets. Restores .  #27175; see #20729.
figcaptionshould not be treated as a block-level element by wpautop().  #25646
- TinyMCE: add internal command and shortcut (Alt+Shift+X) for toggling
<code>. Define a button that can be added to any toolbar as
wp_code.  #6331
- Permalink Settings: Don’t show “update your .htaccess now” if nothing needs to change.  #19268.
- Query: In
WP_Query::get_queried_object(), account for
pre_get_postsby checking for tag when
tag_idisn’t present. Tags still need to be rolled up into
tax_query.  #27362
- Filesystem: Update
request_filesystem_credentials()to handle the correct ssh value of
FS_METHOD.  #27265
- Move widget area sections to bottom, as a theme can have a lot of widget areas and we don’t want to bury other sections.  #27401
- Introduce a customizer processing state to prevent saves while updates are occurring.  #27390
- Make temp hooks permanent. New hooks are:
is_active_sidebar.  #25368
- Start embedding functional audio/video players in the editor, instead of placeholders.  was reverted in  but added back this week in . Whitelist media types by browser.  . See also      and others. Everything is contained in #27389.
- The Image Editor should apply changes to custom image sizes by checking registered image sizes.  #19889
- Remove Qik from the oEmbed provider list as it’s shutting down.  #27302
- Smooth out some display and race condition issues with the media modal loading spinner.  #24859
- Avoid saving slashed data in XML-RPC’s
wp.setOptions.  #22936
- Allow query strings for servers in
WP_HTTP_IXR_Client.  #26947
stickyin the struct returned from
wp.getPostsis preferred and non-WP XML-RPC APIs are no longer actively maintained. This is simply for parity with existing MW methods.  #26679
wp.editPost, Remove all terms in a taxonomy when an empty array is explicitly passed.  #26686
For the complete list of commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac.
Interested in joining in? Write or test a patch for 3.9. The goals for this week — besides releasing Beta 2 — are two-fold:
- Finalize and close out the remaining tasks for 3.9, currently at 32 on this report.
- Pare down the number of open bugs, currently at 96 on this report and 157 generally.
Thanks to @aubreypwd, @avryl, @azaozz, @bravokeyl, @cfinke, @danielbachhuber, @DrewAPicture, @ehg, @enej, @ericmann, @gcorne, @helen, @jayjdk, @jnielsendotnet, @johnpbloch, @joostdevalk, @jstraitiff, @JustinSainton, @kadamwhite, @klihelp, @kovshenin, @ldebrouwer, @mattonomics, @matveb, @mauryaratan, @maxcutler, @mcsf, @MikeHansenMe, @nacin, @nendeb55, @ocean90, @oso96_2000, @Otto42, @paulwilde, @pento, @rodrigosprimo, @SergeyBiryukov, @soulseekah, @tlovett1, @westonruter, @wonderboymusic, and @wpsmith for their help this week!