Google has announced the students who were selected to participate in the Google Summer of Code program this year. WordPress is once again a participating organization, and will have 12 students working with us this year. We were awarded the 15 slots we requested, but based on how we distributed the mentors (and how many students applied for the same projects), we donated 3 slots back to the pool so other organizations could use them (no need for us to be greedy, right?). Introducing our 2011 GSoC students/projects:
- Document Revisions – Ben Balter: Mitcho, duck_, and Jorbin
- File Uploader Upgrade – Jacob Gillespie: Koop, azaozz
- Local Storage Drafts backup – Mihai Chereji: Filosofo, mitcho (assist from azaozz and koop)
- Learn.wordpress.org – Stas Suscov: Jeremy Boggs, Jtrip (others in ad hoc manner)
- Enhanced emails – Wojtek Szutnik: Aaron Campbell and Justin
- Threaded Comments – azram19: Westi and Koop
- Extending WP Webservices – Prasath Nadarajah: Thorsten and Eric Mann
- Language Packs – Marko Novakovic: Nacin and Nikolay
- Refresh Android app UI – Anirudh S: Dan Roundhill and Isaac
- Full-throttle Trac Annihilation – Jakub Tyrcha: Dion, duck_ and scribu
- WordPress Move – Mert Yazicioglu: Pete Mall and Brian Layman
- Template Versioning – David Julia: Ocean90 and Nacin (with possible assist Koop)
We’ll be setting up the group blog for students this week and will announce it here when it’s up and running. All the project descriptions will be available there, along with links to student blogs.
List of all projects accepted into GSoC 2011.