WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Make WordPress Core

Updates from March, 2013 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Mike Schroder 10:29 am on March 13, 2014 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    Last Week in WordPress Core 

    Hi there! Welcome to Last Week in WordPress Core for the week of March 3–9. By now, you’ve heard that WordPress 3.9 Beta 1 is available! Thank you for your hard work this last week. Now we’re done adding new enhancements, and on to bugs. Your help is appreciated as we continue to test and squash bugs on the way to a stable RC.

    There are a couple important things that landed on Monday that are not covered in this post, but shipped in beta. Namely, please test the Theme Install screen refresh and the ability to crop headers from within the Customizer.

    Admin:

    • Widgets: Add widget management to the customizer. This brings in the Widget Customizer plugin. [27419] #27112
    • Admin Menu: Introduce a .dashicons-before CSS class and use it in the admin menu. Lets you use a Dashicon before an element without copying the entire .dashicons styling to your :before styling. [27418] [27425] [27444] [27482] #26630
    • Editor: Show “View Post” for any post the author can read. This expands it to private posts and matches the logic in the toolbar. [27483] #27059

    Media:

    • First pass at bringing the Image Editor into the media modal. Please test me! [27445] #21811
    • First pass adding a loading indicator to the Media Library. [27438] #24859
    • Allow $crop in add_image_size() and set_post_thumbnail_size() to receive crop anchors (top, left, right, bottom, center). [27472] #19393.
    • Add subtitle support to Video editing in the Media Modal. [27481] #27016
    • Do not output default gallery styles if the theme has opted into HTML5 galleries. [27396] #27045; see #26697
    • Add a class attribute to the caption shortcode to allow additional classes to be specified. [27404] #25295
    • Add playlist_styles and wp_playlist_scripts filters to allow users to roll their own playlist themes. [27486] #26631 & [27488] #26631

    TinyMCE:

    • Update TinyMCE to 4.0.18. [27387] #24067
    • Add TinyMCE placeholders for audio and video shortcodes and provide a UI to both edit shortcode attributes and replace the src media file in an audio or video shortcode. Also, a flurry of improvements and fixes to them, visible in the full changelog. [27411] #27016
    • Add a Ctrl+K shortcut to open the linking dialog, which is the “de-facto standard”. [27449] #27305
    • Add the <hr> plugin and button to the toolbar. [27428] #27159
    • With drag-and-drop uploading, support multiple editor instances, limit to IE10+, and other small fixes. [27378] [27372] [27464] #19845
    • When parsing a caption shortcode, recreate missing width attributes using the image tag’s width. [27426] #23103
    • Restore the “link” button state to disabled by default and enabled when text or image is selected. Remove the (recently added) default link plugin; not needed. [27447] #27309

    Templates:

    • Add has-post-thumbnail as a post class. [27429] #18804
    • Rename the new page_templates filter to theme_page_templates, and pass it a post object for proper context. [27470] [27471] #13265
    • Introduce get_the_permalink() as an alias for get_permalink(). This better aligns it with other the_* and get_the_* function pairs. [27409] #24164
    • Let get_the_date() accept a post object. [27380] #13771
    • Add the ability to short-circuit wp_nav_menu() via the pre_wp_nav_menu hook. [27386] #23627
    • Better plural handling for labels in wp_generate_tag_cloud() / wp_tag_cloud(). [27376] #27262, see #7989, #14424

    Multisite:

    • Incremental improvements and bug fixes with the multisite load process. Please test your networks! [27406] [27439] [27407] #27003
    • Fix bulk activation of network-only plugins. [27413] #26487

    Query:

    • Add has_password and post_password query variables to WP_Query. has_password true means posts with passwords, false means posts without. post_password can query for posts with a particular password. [27395] #20308
    • Allow a posts_per_rss query variable to be set to override the posts_per_rss option. [27456] [27455] #25380
    • Allow get_page_by_path() and get_page_by_title() to accept an array of post types. [27423] #24763

    Internals:

    • Allow for custom authentication handlers for all requests. Turn the logic used by wp_get_current_user() into a determine_current_user filter. [27484] #26706
    • Allow the role attribute in kses for all elements. [27388] #24098
    • Add a pre_set_theme_mod_$name filter to set_theme_mod(), modeled after pre_update_option_$option in update_option(). [27393] [27402] #14721.
    • Improve HHVM compatibility by eliminating some of our last remaining create_function() calls and making OBJECT a case sensitive constant. [27373] [27374] [27465] #14424 [27377] #27231
    • Pass $reassign parameter to delete_user and deleted_user actions. [27462] [27466] #23057
    • Bail early from shortcode functions if no delimiter is present. It’s the little things; performance results on-ticket. [27394] #23855
    • Update PHPMailer to 5.2.7 from 5.2.4. Includes two trivial modifications for WordPress (no impact to plugin developers); see the commit message. [27385] #25560
    • Use SSL when linking to WordPress.org. [27469] #27115

    For the complete list of commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac. Interested in joining in? Write or test a patch for 3.9.

    Thanks to @adamsilverstein, @akeda, @avryl, @bassgang, @bigdawggi, @bobbravo2, @bpetty, @bradt, @celloexpressions, @coffee2code, @danielbachhuber, @dd32, @DJPaul, @DrewAPicture, @empireoflight, @ericlewis, @ericmann, @frank-klein, @gcorne, @genkisan, @gradyetc, @hakre, @Hanni, @Jayjdk, @jenmylo, @johnregan3, @jorbin, @JoshuaAbenazer, @kadamwhite, @kasparsd, @Kopepasah, @kovshenin, @kpdesign, @lpointet, @markjaquith, @mcadwell, @melchoyce, @michael-arestad, @mikecorkum, @mordauk, @nacin, @obenland, @Otto42, @pavelevap, @Rarst, @rhyswynne, @ricardocorreia, @rmccue, @robmiller, @seanchayes, @SergeyBiryukov, @shaunandrews, @simonwheatley, @sirzooro, @tanner-m, @TobiasBg, @tomauger, @topher1kenobe, @topquarky, @toszcze, @westonruter, @wokamoto, @wonderboymusic, @zbtirrell, and @zodiac1978 for their efforts this week!

     
  • Mike Schroder 7:29 am on February 11, 2014 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    Last Week in WordPress Core 

    Howdy, everyone! It’s time for Last Week In WordPress Core, for the week of February 3–February 9. Let’s start out with a couple of discussion points, then commit highlights, and close with housekeeping.

    CSS autoprefixer?

    @ocean90 has a proposal up on trac to use Autoprefixer to handle vendor prefixing. This is an neat idea, but has potential complications as to when we should run the Grunt task, since it’d be optimal for core.svn and develop.svn to continue to be as usable for development as possible. Have an opinion? Please join the discussion on #27078.

    MySQLi

    There is fresh discussion on how to handle the MySQLi transition. The current consensus seems to be that everyone would like a driver-style WPDB in the future. However, exactly what that will look like, and when it will happen is not yet agreed upon. Since there is an apparent need to move on this, in order to ease this in for plugin authors, for 3.9 @nacin suggests we start to use use mysqli but only when PHP 5.5+. Details on the ticket.

    TinyMCE and Autosave

    • Incorporate the TinyMCE tests into our JS tests, #27014.
    • In TinyMCE, don’t replace <i> and <b> with <em> and <strong>, and don’t remove them when empty. Helpful when using an icon font. #24067, #23037.
    • @azaozz is weighing whether we need backcompat for plugins that had overridden or blocked autosaves (such as by overriding window.autosave). Feedback welcome on #25272.
    • Make it easy when using wp_editor() which editor (visual or text) is loaded first. #20822
    • Don’t scroll the main window when trying to scroll the editor content with a mouse wheel or trackpad. [27095], [27110]. This is still being tweaked, #27013.

    Media and Embeds

    Administration related

    Twenty Fourteen

    • Fix gap from appearing above static pages, #26694.
    • Delete the featured_content_ids transient on theme switch to make sure child themes can override the Featured Content quantity value. Also remove quantity parameter so child themes can change the amount of featured posts with $max_posts, #26660.
    • Fix unreachable links when the content area is shorter than the sidebar in smaller viewpoints, #26782.
    • Make sure featured tag is hidden on front-end views as expected, #26732.
    • Translate the featured tag slug used to link to specific tags in Posts editor, #26526.
    • Avoid showing full post in Ephemera widget when displayed in single post or page, #26961.
    • Use the display filter for get_bloginfo('name') attached to the wp_title filter, #26811. Also applies to Twenty Twelve and Twenty Thirteen.

    Taxonomy and Caching

    • Regenerate the term hierarchy caches and object term caches when we can detect are stale. Work in #14485 and #22526 is ongoing; possibly with an alternative approach.
    • In  top-level term without first including its children, and recurse through entire depth in hierarchy. #26903.
    • In get_terms(), don’t automatically set hierarchical to false when parent => 0 is passed. The default value for parent is an empty string, #26903. Also required a fix in _get_term_children(), see [27108].
    • Other caching changes: #27000, #25545.

    Housekeeping

    In make/core land, @nacin posted notes from last week’s team meeting that I’d suggest checking out if you weren’t able to make it. In other housekeeping notes, fine-grained ticket notifications and settings are now live, and if you haven’t yet signed up to be a Google Summer of Code mentor (and would like to), check out this post from @jenmylo.

    For the complete list of commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac. There were a bunch of great inline docs updates not covered here.

    Almost forty contributors helped out last week! Awesome! Want to help out this week? Write or test a patch for 3.9.

    Thanks for efforts from _jameslee, adamsilverstein, Ajay, andykeith, antorome, avryl, azaozz, bradparbs, celloexpressions, DrewAPicture, drozdz, frank-klein, gcorne, helen, jdgrimes, jorbin, kitchin, kovshenin, kpdesign, lancewillett, markoheijnen, michelwppi, mor10, mordauk, nacin, NikV, nprasath002, obenland, philiparthurmoore, ruudjoyo, sennza, SergeyBiryukov, ShinichiN, TobiasBg, UmeshSingla, VarunAgw, and wonderboymusic.

     
    • Jeff Chandler 6:03 am on February 12, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Just wanted to say thanks Mike for putting these weekly reports together. They provide good summaries of all the developments taking place within the core of WordPress without having to subscribe to the fire hose.

  • Andrew Nacin 3:06 pm on February 6, 2014 Permalink
    Tags:   

    Here’s a quick summary of yesterday’s meeting (IRC log), as a status report on WordPress 3.9:

    Beta 1 will now be the week of March 3, a week later. The rest of the schedule is unchanged. I felt the extra week of alpha would be helpful given all of forward momentum right now, and others seemed to agree.

    It was decided to green-light the widget customizer plugin for merge. If all goes well, it’ll be in 3.9 final. There’s still a lot to do: some UI polishing, deeper code review, etc. — and surely it will get a lot of testing.

    Quick hits raised in the meeting:

    • Settings review is in the ideas/sketch/wireframe stage. They have a meeting today. (@jenmylo, @melchoyce)
    • Lots of audio/video changes landed. Needs review on #27026 and UI feedback on #26631. (@wonderboymusic)
    • Work continues bringing the image editor into the media manager. #21811. (@gcorne, @tomauger)
    • TinyMCE/editor: modals are getting redesigned. #26952. (@melchoyce, @avryl) QUnit tests are being added. #27014. (@azaozz) @gcorne also sunk some time into MCE views, for gallery rendering.
    • THX plugin is being revived to take a crack at the theme install screen. If it works out, these patches could land in 3.9. (@matveb)
    • A Grunt patch tool needs testing. #27023. (@jorbin)
    • Some refactoring of the multisite bootstrap will begin this week. #27003. (@jeremyfelt)
    • Volunteer(s) wanted: If anyone wants to work on expanding autocomplete in core, there is some work in that area to be done. @helen will help shepherd.

    We have a few more weeks of alpha, so it’s a great time to help with writing or testing a patch for WordPress 3.9. We’ll be keeping the tempo quick. Expect lots of changes.

     
    • helgatheviking 2:58 pm on February 8, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Is there any chance 3.9 will tackle the issues with nav-menus.php saving a lot of data? Apparently this is the reason for the hold up on adding action hooks to the admin menu UI (for adding additional meta to the menu items), which is a feature that has been requested (at least 4 duplicates that I can find) a few times. Plugins and themes that are replacing the custom Walker with their own would finally be able to work together.

  • Mike Schroder 2:46 pm on February 4, 2014 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    Last week in WordPress core 

    Welcome back to Last Week In WordPress Core, for the week of January 27-February 2. Big list this time! First, a summary of the major changes; then a roundup from the various 3.9 teams:

    Enhancements and hooks

    Database changes

    • Initial patch to reconnect when the MySQL server “goes away” has landed, with a request for feedback on how to make the solution more fool-proof on #5932.
    • Improved Compatibility with MySQL 5.6, which has stricter default SQL modes.
      Disables NO_ZERO_DATE, ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY, STRICT_TRANS_TABLES, STRICT_ALL_TABLES, TRADITIONAL. Introduces filterable wpdb::set_sql_mode(), with incompatible_sql_modes filter for plugins. #26847
    • We now throw a notice when wpdb::prepare() is called without a placeholder. #25604
    • In wpdb::db_connect(), allow the loading of a translatable custom database error template. #25703

    Miscellaneous, including library updates

    3.9 status reports

    Here are roughly where each of the 3.9 teams/tasks stood as of last week’s meeting:

    Media/editor related:

    • Media Modal: “Initial version of the single image editor landed, which includes the ability to replace the image and update the main set of attributes (e.g. caption, alt, alignment, link).” (@gcorne) (#21811)
    • Image Editor: “have a proof-of-concept plugin ready awaiting input on how to modularize the Editor and make it extensible and flexible. Working on a patch that introduces a few well-placed hooks.” (@tomauger) (#21811)
    • Rendering in the editor: “Going to dig into rendering galleries in the visual editor using a wpview and building on some of the work that i did in https://github.com/gcorne/gallery-editor.&#8221; (@gcorne) (#26628, #26959)
    • TinyMCE: All looks good on this front, #24067. “We’ve also started looking at restyling TinyMCE modals to match the admin, #26952″(@azaozz, @melchoyce)
    • Audio/Video: There’s an update post by @wonderboymusic.

    Other UI work:

    • Widget Customizer: “We’re running more users tests; Working on keyboard accessibility features; Trying to figure out support for wide widgets; Asked for some code review/notes; And digesting feedback from our recent p2 post.” (@shaunandrews)
    • Settings screens: “We had a meeting yesterday to divvy up the redux. I’m looking at reordering of information across screens, @melchoyce is experimenting with UI approaches, and @Ipstenu is looking at cleaning up the multisite ‘edit site/settings’ view. We hope to be posting sketches/wireframes [this] week.” Also, they’re again looking at lifting post by email from core. (@jenmylo)
    • Accessibility: we are testing 3.8.1 admin screens for keyboard accessibility. (@joedolson)
    • Autocomplete: After the new site email address autocomplete landed (#25348), now looking into other areas — users (#19867) and pages (#9864). (@helen)
    • CSS: Work continues on the colors.css merge to prep for splitting up wp-admin.css. (@helen, #18380, #26669).

    Fun with internals:

    • Multisite: “Our tickets are focused. [As in, reorganized into the 'multisite' focus.] I’ve been digging through ms-load.php, ms-settings.php, etc in prep for some fun domain routing work. Would like to compare thoughts on approach soon and get moving on that.” (@jeremyfelt)
    • New Grunt-based Patching Tool: “I’ve been using it locally and haven’t run into any issues. Will be opening a ticket on Trac with a patch and instructions in the next few days.” (@jorbin)
    • Taxonomy: Hope to start with the first few tickets on the roadmap this week. (@nacin)

    Housekeeping items last week included a call for GSoC participation from @jenmylo, and trac component reorganization proposal from @nacin. The reorganization was approved during the chat on Wednesday and is well under way. Additionally, there’s now a new Trac reports overlay and Trac’s navigation got overhauled.

    For the complete changelog commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac.

    More than three dozen contributors had a hand in last week’s efforts. Want to help out this week? Write or test a patch for 3.9.

    Thanks for contributions this week from atimmer, aubreypwd, azaozz, c3mdigital, cmmarslender, coffee2code, Denis-de-Bernardy, DrewAPicture, empireoflight, gcornehelen, ippetkov, jeremyfelt, joehoyle, johnjamesjacoby, JoshuaAbenazer, kovshenin, kpdesign, kraftbj, mark8barnes, markjaquith, MattyRob, mdbitz, melchoyce, nacin, neoxx, nofearinc, ocean90, olivM, oso96_2000, ounziw, pento, romaimperator, sbruner, SergeyBiryukov, soulseekah, TobiasBg, toszcze, wonderboymusic, and yoavf!

     
  • Jen Mylo 6:20 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    GSoC 2014 

    It’s that time of year again, when all good* core developers start thinking about whether or not they’re up for mentoring a GSoC student this year. Many in this group know the drill, but there quite a few involved core contribs active this cycle who haven’t been involved with GSoC before, so here’s the deal:

    • Google pays for a program that gives college students summer jobs creating open source code under the mentorship of an organization (like WordPress).
    • We apply to be a mentoring organization and put up a list with a bunch of potential summer project ideas and identify who the mentors might be.
    • If we’re chosen to participate, we get a certain number of slots to fill, and students submit applications to work with us.
    • All the potential mentors rate/rank the proposals, and decide if there’s someone they’d like to mentor.
    • In game of chance-meets-requests dizzy enough to rival medical school matches, we put together our wish list for mentor-student matchups. 2 mentors per student, to provide coverage and make things more collaborative.
    • We hope that none of our top picks also applied to other orgs who accepted them, and wind up with our student roster.
    • We provide volunteer mentors to work one-on-one with the kids on projects that they applied to do over a 3-month period.
    • Open source code is released into the wild.

    I’ll be putting together our application to be a mentoring organization this week, so it’s time to start thinking of project ideas we could suggest on the Ideas page that we need for the application (the more ideas the better) and who wants to be a mentor. The application deadline is February 14, so I’d like to get the Ideas list in solid shape (along with mentor bios) by Feb 10 (a week from Monday).

    If you have an idea or are interested in being a mentor, please leave a comment on this post. At the end of the dev chat after 3.9 business is out of the way, we can discuss some of the ideas and I can answer any questions people have about mentoring.

    Related: I’m also going to be posting soon about starting up a regular mentorship program, as outlined here. But that can wait for another day.

    *Where good means both skilled and kind and generous with their time.

     
    • Jen Mylo 6:22 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Also, will need a few people to identify tickets that no one’s working on that would be good ones to use for the “submit a patch” requirement of the application.

    • Ian Dunn 6:59 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Is it only open for Core, or can Meta, Mobile, etc also propose projects?

      • Andrew Nacin 7:10 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Any.

        • Ian Dunn 7:54 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          Awesome. @jenmylo, I’d be happy to mentor someone if you have any Community projects you think would be a good fit for GSoC.

          • Jen Mylo 8:41 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

            @iandunn: Definitely, just need to make sure that it’s something releasable, like a plugin vs building onto one of the sites. Maybe forms, finally?

            • Ian Dunn 9:04 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink

              That could work. The idea of having the pre-defined forms for speakers/sessions/etc is specific to WordCamp.org, but we could easily put the general architecture for a pre-defined form into the plugin itself, and then define WordCamp.org’s specific forms via a filter in a custom plugin.

              The result from that approach would be the same as if the our forms were built into the plugin itself, but it would keep the core plugin independent so it could be released in the WordPress.org repo and used by anyone.

              We don’t necessarily have to release it in the wporg repo in order to open-source it, though. Most of WordCamp.org’s custom stuff is already open-sourced in the Meta repo. Not sure if the GSoC guidelines just want it open-source, or if the spirit of it is to make it easily available/useable for others.

    • Wojtek Szkutnik 7:48 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Always happy to help with mentoring if needed :)

    • Marko Heijnen 8:48 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I would love to mentor. Hopefully this time I’m more lucky then last year. I can help with core, mobile or GlotPress.

      • Jen Mylo 9:20 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        If you can write up some specific project ideas that you would like to mentor, that will help with the luck. Someone who applies for your idea would likely be given to the person who proposed it, vs running into a situation like last year where a handful of people all requested the same student.

    • Justin Shreve 9:28 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m interested in mentoring this year (did you even have to ask? :))

      Some things I would be interested in (based on some previous ideas):

      • New User Walkthrough. Specifically meter based “you are 10% setup, etc”. Think LinkedIn style.
      • A visual way to surface visual embeds / oEmebeds etc. Instead of needing to magically know that a Spotify or Twitter URL needs to go on its line, support some kind of UI (maybe in the media explorer) that allows you to insert content
      • Anything External API Related. No specific project here. It depends on what is in core at the time (if it’s XML-RPC still or if REST is available yet)
      • General Mentoring
    • Eric 9:35 pm on January 29, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m game to mentor a mobile project this year. I’ll post some project ideas after I’ve had some time to brainstorm a bit.

    • Aaron Jorbin 5:04 pm on January 31, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I would love to mentor once again. Some ideas that I have:

      • Make the PHPUnit tests run faster
      • Increase the number of JavaScript Unit Tests
      • CSS/JS Optimization
      • Automated performance testing
      • Anything dev tools related.
      • Bryan Petty 5:31 pm on February 4, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        I think the biggest improvement we could make to the unit tests in regards to speed is to find a way to merge multisite tests into the base tests, and only run tests that are actually affected by single/multisite environment changes.

        Right now, we run every single unit test a second time during the multisite run, but in reality, probably less than 25% of them are even affected by multisite. For example, we don’t need to re-run sanitize/escape tests a second time.

        There’s certainly probably lots of places we could avoid @runTestsInSeparateProcesses, especially if we were to deprecate/remove constants.

        Another option might be to find a way to cleanly reset the DB without calling wp_install() again (do one install, dump, and reload from dump directly on the next test with @runTestsInSeparateProcesses).

        Other than that, then you just have optimizations on individual tests, which just becomes a mundane task that no-one wants to do, especially if patches are just ignored because they are so minor and not important.

        • Andrew Nacin 7:43 pm on February 4, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          Re-running the entire suite under multisite has flagged a lot of issues over the years. I think we’re along way from that point. Multisite just has too many odd side effects on core.

  • Andrew Nacin 9:03 pm on January 22, 2014 Permalink
    Tags:   

    Possible tasks for WP 3.9 

    During last week’s dev chat, we decided on a schedule. We also chatted about a major focus in 3.9 on improving workflow for new and current contributors alike. If there are further suggestions on changes we can make to workflow to make core easier to contribute to, let us know.

    Below is a rundown of what features/enhancements/ideas were discussed as possible for 3.9, including potential volunteers to take point on different tasks. This is all tentative. Thanks @DH-Shredder for compiling this.

    In today’s chat, let’s continue to build this out. If you have something you’d love to work on during the release, join us!

    Widgets

    There are two widget-related feature plugins to review: Better Widgets and Widget Customizer. Decisions on what we’re merging should come by next week, per the schedule. Expect a post from @shaunandrews soon explaining both and requesting help reviewing them.

    TinyMCE improvements (@azaozz, @gcorne, @lgladdy)

    • TinyMCE 4 inclusion and troubleshooting
    • Improving editing/positioning images after insertion into the editor

    Editor-related media improvements

    • Bringing the image editor into the media manager (@melchoyce, @johnbillion)
    • Allow a user to drop an item for upload on the post screen. This would then open the media modal (as an initial first step).

    A better themes experience, part 2 (@matveb)

    • Taking our new experience to the theme installer (this may be started as a plugin)
    • Supporting multiple screenshots, left out of 3.8
    • Backbone routing and subview backend improvements

    Improved audio/video support (@wonderboymusic) (see this post)

    • Playlists, subtitles, metadata generation
    • Media manager documentation

    JavaScript and CSS

    Miscellaneous

     
    • Aaron Jorbin 9:32 pm on January 22, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      RE: Grunt tool for patches

      It now is working for:

      patches you have in your local repository
      when you enter a ticket number
      when you enter a ticket url
      when you enter an attachment url
      when you enter a raw attachment url

      My next step is to add some more tests and write up documentation. Once that is in place, I would love to have some extra help testing. I most likely have some error messaging to improve and the like. I’ll post on make/core within the next week with info on how to help test/get involved.

      development is happening at https://github.com/aaronjorbin/grunt-patch-wordpress

    • Andrew Nacin 3:04 am on January 23, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Some more things to add, from the meeting today:

      • @drewapicture is doing a mockup of a potential new tools screen he’s been talking about.
      • @gcorne is looking into syncing caret positions between the visual and text editors.
      • @obenland and @helen discussed including markup changes as part of the admin settings audit proposed by @jenmylo and @melchoyce. @Ipstenu and @ryelle are additionally interested in the UX side of things.
      • @helen proposed looking into better insert from URL handling in the media modal. This also ties into oEmbed insertion, and oEmbed previews / MCE views, which @gcorne has mentioned before.
      • @adamsilverstein brought up a post meta revisioning API. It happened in 3.6 but it was baked into post format UI stuff, and got pulled. It should be attempted again.
      • @TomAuger will be helping with image editing UIs, and posted work he’s been doing on #21811.
      • Manuel Schmalstieg 3:12 pm on January 23, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        > @gcorne is looking into syncing caret positions between the visual and text editors.
        Wow, that’s a wonderful idea! Improved preservation of whitespace when switching between visual/text modes would also be a major editing help.

      • Jen Mylo 5:46 pm on January 27, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        As I hear it, @ryelle is actually interested in the dev & API side of things.

    • RicaNeaga 10:25 am on January 23, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      So no plans in 3.9 for mysqli via #21663? Or hopefully full and official MariaDB support? Please reconsider, many are not happy (right now) to see only MySQL mentioned in the wordpress requirements page.

    • StyledThemes 12:54 am on January 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Speaking of widgets, and something I am really amazed this is not part of the core…the ability to disable widget titles with each widget. There are many times where the title is needed for reference in the admin, but needs to be removed from the front-end. That’s one thing…the other would be a method to publish widgets to select pages/posts without having to install a plugin for this. Cheers!

    • Pippin Williamson 4:05 pm on January 24, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’d love to see the password generator enhancements get considered again, https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24633 – It’s mostly waiting on additional feedback. It was originally slated for 3.8 but then got pulled due to lack of feedback.

    • RENAUT 10:56 am on February 4, 2014 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      for TinyMCE improvements ability to deactivate fullpage icons and shortkeys for plugins using tinymce (in the simplest way) thank you

  • Samuel Sidler 11:15 pm on August 14, 2013 Permalink
    Tags: , ,   

    Present your 3.8 feature idea at tomorrow’s meeting 

    Tomorrow’s WordPress 3.8 meeting at Thursday 18:00 UTC is a great time to present your feature idea to the community. Many groups have already started forming around different ideas.

    Comment on this post with a group name to add your group to the list of projects presenting tomorrow. Make sure you bring the following things with you:

    • What problem(s) are you trying to solve?
    • What proposal solution(s) are you interested in exploring?
    • When and where is your group communicating?
    • Who has joined your group so far?
    • If you’ve selected someone to lead your group, who is your lead?
    • If you’ve already started work on your plugin, bring a link to your plugin page.

    See you tomorrow!

     
    • Matt Mullenweg 11:21 pm on August 14, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      And as many mockups / visuals / links to existing solutions as possible.

    • tomdryan 12:23 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      It’s not a feature per se, but is there a group looking at global usability improvements throughout WP that would make using WP a more pleasant experience, especially for new and casual users?

      I would happy to lead or participate in such a Usability group.

      • Sam Sidler 12:25 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        In general, I think you want the UI group. Minor usability updates can take place in any release cycle, including 3.7.

    • Justin Sternberg 12:31 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m not ready to claim a big-picture group, but we at WebDevStudios have put some time and effort into re-thinking the admin’s widget admin page.
      A good post summarizing our vision, and some proof of concept mockups: http://webdevstudios.com/2013/08/14/webdevstudios-take-on-a-wordpress-core-widget-ui-refresh/
      Our p2 for discussion around the subject, open to the public:
      http://core.webdevstudios.com/
      A github repo with the skeleton of a plugin for iterating:
      https://github.com/WebDevStudios/WordPress-Widgets-Refresh

      There are also other discussions revolving around the subject both new and old.
      Shuan Andrew has some really intriguing thoughts & mockups and even a prototype:
      http://www.shaunandrews.com/
      & has posted a survey for the subject on this blog:
      http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/08/14/howdy-everyone-theres-been-a-lot-of-discussion/

      Ipstenu has two posts discussing the subject (which we based a lot of our ideas on):
      http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/08/08/excellent-3-8-brainstorm-session-today-people-talked-about/#comment-9697

    • shaunandrews 12:39 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’ve been thinking a lot about widgets, menu’s, post-formats-as-content-blocks, and a grid-view for the media library. A few links to share for tomorrow:

    • Konstantin Obenland 12:56 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Featured Content.
      It is part of Twenty Fourteen and it would finally provide a canonical solution that is portable between themes. I talked to a lot of people in the last week, the group that has assembled around it is fairly impressive, and @wonderboymusic has already updated the base plugin with a first proposal.

    • Ryan McCue 2:30 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      JSON REST API.

      Working on it for now as part of GSoC, which means only I can write the core code for it at the moment, but there’s tonnes of extras around it that need doing until GSoC ends, and plenty of feedback to get at this stage. @japh, @jshreve, @mzaweb, @mordauk, @coenjacobs, @markoheijnen have all expressed interest in this for 3.8, plus @bpetty and @ericmann who are my current mentors.

      • Ryan McCue 2:35 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        GSoC’s pencils down date is September 23 (about 6 weeks away), which is when I’ll call the GSoC part done and move on to the core project part. In the meantime, anything out of scope is free game, including multisite, further JS API work, integrated unit tests, and any other new APIs (options? widgets?).

      • Japh 2:36 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Yep, would love to get in on this one.

      • Andrew Nacin 3:13 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        I think this will need more time. Which, by the way, is completely OK. Let’s just be wary of saying “for 3.8″ — it should remain as a plugin until it and core are both ready.

        • Ryan McCue 3:58 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          Definitely. I’d like to push hard to get it ready for 3.8, but if it ends up slipping then that’s not a big deal, IMO.

        • Bryan Petty 3:58 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          Right, definitely, but worth mentioning that it could be awesome to see a large focus on this with a full team and lots of eyes.

          This probably should not be happening, but I know there’s at least one mobile project putting bets on this making good progress quickly.

    • Matías Ventura 3:19 am on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Theme Experience for 3.8 and beyond, or THX38 for short.

      To significantly improve and re-imagine the admin theme screens for a better user experience. More beautiful, visually focused, fast, and up to date with the current times of mobile ubiquitousness, flexible resolutions and retina devices. Aiming to bridge the admin themes.php and the .org directory experiences, so that searching for and installing a theme is equally rewarding and consistent no matter where you start. Initial thread. Anyone who is up for this, please, chime in.

    • Mel Choyce 2:37 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Content Editing User Experience (CEUX)

      This group will be focused around streamlining and improving the overall content editing experience in WordPress. We’ll be exploring better methods for curating and formatting content within the post and page editors. We have a preliminary set of mockups that we’ll be expanding and iterating on as we start.

      Currently involved in this group are @wonderboymusic, @saracannon, @DavidHickox, and to a lesser extent @joen will be contributing feedback and ideas. We’ll also be communicating closely with the Page + Menu team. @jenmylo has graciously agreed to advise this group. We’ll be working out a time and place for meetings shortly.

      The content blocks plugin has been set up here.

    • jacob.dubail 3:47 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I was bummed that I missed the last 3.8 meeting. Hoping it’s not too late to get involved. See ya’ll online in a couple hours.

    • Siobhan 5:19 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Admin Help

      This group will focus on creating useful help for WordPress users within the admin. We’ll start by conducting research into the problems that users are having, and research into the tools available to us. We’re also looking into how other platforms implement admin help. Once we have identified the problem we will select the right tools and get to work with mockups then plugin. We have put together some specs for the project, started work on user testing, and looking at tools.

      So far involved in the group are: me, @trishasalas, @jazz3quence, the docs team, and we will be getting input from the accessibility team. Other people who expressed an interested are @japh, @ipstenu, @dllh, @JerrySarcastic, @kimparsell We’ve been using make/docs for discussions so far (under the admin help tag), and will set a regular time for meetings soon.

    • George Stephanis 6:08 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Omnisearch!

      jetpack.me/support/omnisearch

      • George Stephanis 6:26 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        DNS has been sketchy, so wanted to get a slug in first.

        History:

        Back when working on 3.5, @lessbloat worked up a new Welcome Screen that we worked on. In the trac ticket, #21368-core, @rhc3 mentioned his Hopscotch plugin that indexed the page’s links to provide suggestions and autocomplete for when someone was having a hard time tracking down what they wanted to do in the menu. It also included hooks to let third parties offer results as well. Some of this functionality was later duplicated by Japh Thompson of Envato, as a part of WP Butler.

        The search functionality wound up getting sacked, but I’ve had the idea of a ‘search-everything’ field in my mind ever since then.

        I built it out, wound up rolling it into Jetpack as a central core, to quickly iterate and make available but it’s built extensibly so any plugin can provide results. I think it’s a terrific UX win, and would like to test it and offer it for inclusion into core.

        • Japh 10:24 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          I’d like to be involved with this (obviously, as I built WP Butler to serve a similar function)
          :)

    • MartyThornley 6:10 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I started a quick plugin as a proof of concept ( very early ) for rethinking the user and site signup and login process, especially concerning multisite. The idea is to consolidate and streamline it all. Also, to make things easier, make the urls more friendly – with /signup, /signin, /signout. https://github.com/MartyThornley/better-signups

    • @ubernaut 6:14 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      here’s an idea which may be too crazy and it’s very basic so far no mock ups or anything but basically it to as much as possible do away with the distinction between front end and back end. Inspiration of this idea belong to Matt’s 2013 Stat of the Word speech and the problem of blog abandonment also some belongs to the existence of p2 as well.

      i have found that when teaching people that are new to wp that dichotomy between front and back end (which makes perfect sense to me btw) is a tumbling block and doing away with it may be very beneficial for learning curve.

      Obviously there are some task and admin stuff that would still need to exist but i think it could be very limited fro many user roles.

      • Avryl 12:45 am on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        @ubernaut I’d really like to help with this in any aspect. Who’s currently working on this? Are the people here still interested?

        • @ubernaut 5:23 pm on August 16, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          Great! Well trishasalas also expressed interest and George Stephanis also agreed to help me break down my idea to see exactly what it would take.

          Right now i’m just taking a day or two to think out the different aspects of how i invasion the all to work. mainly the idea i think in my head at least at this point is basically bring all the tools normally only accessible in the admin area to the front end via sort of context sensitive modal overlays.

          i guess i wanted to throw together a few simple mockups together so people could see what i’m thinking. I’m going to try to get a thread started so it will be easier to collect our thoughts on the will update here with a link once i have that going.

      • paaljoachim 2:54 pm on August 19, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Frontend editing is an area that really needed to make things easier in learning about how to use WordPress. I helped a friend of mine who uses wix.com and it uses the frontend to edit the page. Wix is more basic but it has two important features: Easy for the user to select a skin/theme/template and from there they use the frontend to edit the skin. There is a video showing some of this on their web site. Incorporating backend features into the frontend is as see it a must. I look forward to helping in whichever way that I can.

        • @ubernaut 10:23 pm on August 19, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

          • paaljoachim 9:54 am on August 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

            Hey ubernaut. I see your screenshots and my mind began thinking. I have posted the below on your web site as well:

            Thinking out loud about the process…
            WordPress installed.
            The first thing one sees is the default theme front page. A box up in the right corner to login. The user logs in. The dashboard bar shows at the top. Since it is the first login a link below the login box is seen: “tour the interface.” User clicks and a short video is seen.

            Showing:

            • How to select a theme from the front end. Perhaps a link all the way to the right of the Dashboard top bar with the name of “Choose Theme”. Click the link and see a drop down of small thumbnails and at the bottom of the drop down a see additional themes option. As the user moves the cursor over the thumbnails they are automatically bigger to the side of the drop down showing 2-3 fairly large screenshots with some key info below the screenshots. The user selects a theme and the front end automatically adjusts to show the theme selected.
            • Hover over elements on the page an outline is seen and one can click inside and an edit bar is seen.
            • Drag elements around to replace.
            • Turn on grid to align elements.
            • Click directly on an menu link to move to the page.
            • At the top Dashboard bar click the +New (OR use the Template button next to it to use an existing saved page) to create a post/page/category.

            A blank page is seen and blocks are seen on the right side (depending on if it is a post/page/category). Main elements – Header, menu, sidebar, content, footer.
            Elements (widgets, shortcodes, block elements all in one).
            One drags the various elements to create the page. Click the save button top right to the left of the login area. Beside it is the copy page button on hover it will say save as template.
            Create a new page – and at the top right – save, copy, use template button.

            A lot of these things can be very similar on the backend and frontend.

    • Helen Hou-Sandi 6:23 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      New overall admin style, by way of MP6. I will serve as interim lead while MT is on sabbatical.

    • lessbloat 6:31 pm on August 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Dashboard

      I plan to play around with some ideas for ways to update the dashboard. Perhaps simplify it a bit. Look at ways to possibly make it more easily extensible/customizable.

  • Helen Hou-Sandi 7:49 am on March 15, 2013 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    Post Formats UI Update, 3/14 

    As noted in The Road to 3.6 Beta 1, we’ve got quite a bit going on for post formats. Many of the tickets are in need of testing (including unit tests) and then a commit. As always, there are a few different fronts: UI/administration, data, and parsing. Here’s where we are with each, and what needs to get done. There’s a large variety of tasks here, and we are seeking contributors to help :)

    (More …)

     
    • Luke Gedeon 3:32 pm on March 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      “Add New Post: Status” in the refreshed layout wireframes shows permalink above status field (Hey User, what’s up?) and has no title. As a user, having the status field above permalink feels more natural.

      As a dev, I wonder if we could use the Title field to capture the status instead of a custom field. This would allow normal processing to generate the permalink and put the order of fields into something closer to what a user might expect.

      When generating output for a status it “might” be preferable to hide the title even in themes that don’t recognize post formats. If that is case, core could return an empty title and the status stored in title as content. My preference would be to receive the status as a title anyway, since that would look best in most themes I have looked at.

      • Helen Hou-Sandi 7:13 pm on March 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        Status is not a custom field – it’s post_content. I don’t think we’re going to be able to get so adventurous with the status format edit screen layout – it’s quite likely that it’s going to just look the same as aside – title optional (toggle or otherwise), regular editor area. I also don’t think core should just turn titles off in a theme – that’s completely up to the theme to decide. A theme may very well use the_content in a way that looks like a title – 100% presentation layer, not data.

    • Dravel 5:27 pm on March 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      As a regular “John Doe” user of WordPress I must say that the plan of ditching the tabs in favor for the drop down thingy from @lessbloat is a major disappointment. The tabs were a new fresh style (needed one to) to a stale design part of post area itself.

      Reverting to a style that best described as 1995-ish when we are in fact roaming in the year 2013 is a huge step back, not to speak of the user unfriendliness the current iteration presents (http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/02/22/post-formats-ui-update-221/#comment-8182), that little blob before the “Enter title here” does in no way even hint that there’s option’s lurking there. As a blogger I want it easy and straight forward, not guessing around before I can actually start to write my things.

      The tabs were ok and had a fresh thing to it, shoot even a vertical row of the icon’s made by @melchoyce with a sub title “Post Format” as a <h2> heading right under the “Enter title here” is way better than a obscure drop down thing, especially from a user friendly point of view.

      Just 0.2 cent from a regular John Doe user

      • Helen Hou-Sandi 7:18 pm on March 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        There are a lot of problems with the tabs interaction-wise. They are not adaptive to screen widths, especially smaller ones, incorrectly represent selecting a format as a primary action when in reality it is one that is performed once and then left alone, and they cause confusion among users, both “regular” and ones we tend to think of as knowing better (like the very people writing patches). Some users interpret the tabs as needing to fill out all of them rather than making a generally-one-time choice that sticks, and yet others saw ones like “Audio” and “Video” as being points for inserting media into their content. We have a lot of exploration to do, but tabs are definitely not it. Again, I regret having put them in even as temporary UI – the distraction caused has been a bit time-consuming to respond to.

      • jltallon 1:00 pm on March 20, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        From another “John Doe” user (+developer +project manager):
        @lessbloat‘s proposal at the URL below is right on: discoverable, intuitive, unintrusive, practical… good.

        Though I’m a bit wary of content parsing, I trust you to get it right, and the “teeny” mode will be of much help in guiding the users along the right way (input the “correct” content). Less meta is good for performance, too.

        0.02€ from me :)

    • Hugh 9:25 pm on March 15, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I’m a lurker, but can someone point me to a post or discussion on the history of post formats? I am curious to know why the post formats for audio and video are not separate content types. – I’m sure there is some good thought behind this but being newish I’d just like to read why it is the way it is.

      • Helen Hou-Sandi 7:22 pm on March 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

        I suppose the Codex has some information about what post formats are: http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Formats, notably “A Post Format is a piece of meta information that can be used by a theme to customize its presentation of a post.”. Separate content types (post types) would not show up in a blog archive by default and are not posts, whereas these are supposed to be posts that just happen to contain audio or video (or quote, image, gallery, chat transcript, or link). Think of post formats as a way for users to structure/think about the content of their blog posts and as a way for theme devs to be able to customize the presentation layer of a given format.

    • WraithKenny 8:38 pm on March 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      “…what it means to re-initialize TinyMCE…” Is there a ticket or comment on which scenario would require TinyMCE to be reset?

    • Scott Taylor 10:22 pm on March 18, 2013 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I am on a plane home from my Mexication – I am going to refresh my patches tonight, based on the fact that #23282 finally landed (editors note: woo hoo!). The patch on #23282 had some new functions (`has_shortcode()`, `shortcode_exists()`, `get_tag_regex()`, et al) that were present in ~5 different patches. Will also streamline any dupe’d code elsewhere among the patches that haven’t been committed. That being said , #23673 should be the next one to go in.

c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel