For today’s dev chat, let’s focus on issues being reported in beta, user testing, and what we need to work on in relation to these to get to the next beta. For reference, the first round of user testing on the media library grid view is up on Make UI.
Updates from Helen Hou-Sandi Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
We haven’t posted weekly summaries in a bit, so here’s a summary of the last three dev chats.
- Beta 1: Shipped last Thursday, July 10. Feedback has been good so far.
- Beta 2: Planned for tonight, July 17. @azaozz updated TinyMCE prior to release. Pending a couple of changes (or not) that @nacin is looking at: #22023 + #5809 and cookies tied to sessions (#20276).
- Testing: Especially want feedback on the following things: plugin modals on many screens + accessibility devices, wpviews, customizer panels, media grid, install language flow.
- Tickets: Generally under control, but still need more area-specific triage.
In general, 4.0 is shaping up with two distinct groups of focuses: editing + platform & writing + global.
Area specific updates:
- Media Grid: Progress update from June 27. Reviews have been good but some help was needed on architectural reviews/revisions, CSS, keyboard accessibility. Attachment details will be tightened up (#28844).
- Plugins: Progress update posted from June 28. Some API changes will take place so we can improve the Install Plugins page with groups of featured plugins. Need i18n attention on the plugin install page, but generally in good shape.
- Customizer: we have panels now, some decisions need to be made about close vs. cancel language and possibly moving to a close icon + AYS
- i18n: Progress update from July 2. Need help to complete things.
- oEmbed: placeholders were added for when embeds are needed but not available—when the admin is SSL and a user pastes non-SSL embed URL, we try to get the SSL, if that fails, we try the non-SSL, if successful, we show the placeholder—the url in the post_content stays as pasted.
- Other updates: Feedback will be posted about URL encoding with media_sideload_image(). Still looking at sessions; possible a schema change or two in there.
As always, daily bug scrubs happen at 15:00 UTC.
For today’s dev chat, let’s check in on how we’re feeling about a beta 2, any blockers we might be seeing, and then do a scrub on tickets, particularly focusing on things that can be committed or punted. Please add any other agenda items in the comments.
Proposed agenda for today’s dev chat. We’re targeting the late evening Eastern US time for beta 1.
Proposed agenda for today:
- A look at the assignments from last week – next steps, any stucks, any needs. (@azaozz,
- #27423: Improve Media Modal UI at small-screen sizes
- #14759: Improve the way oEmbed deals with caching (@markjaquith)
- #20564: Framework for storing revisions of Post Meta (@adamsilverstein)
- How are we feeling about beta?
Please add any items you have in the comments below.
Summary of 6/25 dev chat (IRC log):
- Beta 1 is being pushed back to July 9 from July 2, with each successive beta and RC 1 also pushing back a week. The schedule has been updated.
- oEmbed (@azaozz), i18n / language packs (@nacin), media grid (@ericlewis), and plugin installer (@tellyworth) should each have an update post published here before the weekend, outlining what has been done thus far, next steps, points needing discussion, and relevant tickets.
- Each of the above should have a new patch ready by Monday. Across the board, it would be nice to see more work-in-progress patches — props @ericandrewlewis for recent patches on the media grid ticket
- Daily scrubs in #wordpress-dev happening at 15:00 UTC.
- @johnbillion would like to help coordinate people who are given time by their employers to work on WP; Make/Core post forthcoming.
- Recent updates to oEmbed: previews in the editor, media modal, added a bunch of providers
- Todos: SSL, script sandboxing, caching improvements, UI/UX tweaks
- Two thirds of our supported providers don’t support SSL: #28507
- @sams suggested SSL should be a requirement for oEmbed providers going forward (have since revised to an important consideration for the time being).
- Insecure iframes and/or insecure contained content will be blocked by newer Chrome and Firefox.
- Two options: placeholder or a nonced, authed, proxied iframe.
- For Monday: Placeholder fallback for SSL admin and non-SSL oEmbeds.
- Haven’t seen any movement since last week, a lot is listed out on ticket: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28577#comment:8
- For Monday: Patch showing where we are now.
- A quick phase 2 of the media grid is going forward
- Media Grid needs a fair amount of work, not user testable yet.
- Reminder: watch out for strings like “Edit Media” (#) won’t work well for long translations, i.e. ru_RU.
- For Monday: A user-testable patch.
- Screenshots for possibly comparable things.
- @tellyworth is working on plugin-install.php and @stephdau is working on the details modal / page.
- Next: Need to discuss what kind of data is most helpful to display for users when they are trying to figure out which plugin it is they want.
- For Monday: @tellyworth and @stephdau will post patches in progress.
- Taxonomy: #22023 will likely be punted; @ericmann & @rachelbaker volunteered to help with unit tests.
- Texturize/formatting is coming along, major props @wonderboymusic and @miqrogroove.
With thanks (again) to @designsimply for note collation.
Let’s do daily scrubs / ticket triage for the duration of the 4.0 release cycle at 15:00 UTC in #wordpress-dev. Fellow committers and component maintainers, please comment below if you can pledge to be there at least once or twice a week, and potentially help drive that particular scrub.
For those who aren’t as familiar with scrubs / scheduled ticket triage sessions, they aim to provide some structure and a known time to focus on existing Trac tickets. At least one committer should be around for each one for rapid feedback. If you are unable to make the time, that’s okay – there are often contributors at various hours in the #wordpress-dev IRC channel who can give feedback and look at tickets, and ad hoc scrubs are very much encouraged. Those who are interested in reviewing patches and triaging tickets are especially welcome, and anybody is welcome to bring a ticket for eyes. If no specific tickets come up, we’ll move to reports, such as that for the next major release or ancient tickets.
Agenda for today’s dev chat:
- Beta timing – on schedule for next week, 7/2.
- Organize and rally around pushes on features: oEmbed, i18n, plugin install experience, media grid.
- #22023: Remove UNIQUE for slug in wp_terms.
Please propose other items in the comments below.
Summary of 6/18 dev chat (IRC log):
- i18n: First run for installation is in, including .org API; @nacin has posted next steps. Related: #28571
- Customizer: Appearance component renamed to Customize in Trac. Office hours scheduled for Fridays at 19:00 UTC (listed in the sidebar here). Particularly active contributors include @westonruter, @celloexpressions, and @ocean90.
- Editor Experience: Focus on the scrolling piece first and work to get that in this week. Discovered that the Gmail inline reply experience very closely matches the desired effect.
- Plugin Install Experience: @melchoyce posted a quick wireframe and a prompt for UI/UX thoughts, particularly on workflow. Also called for screenshots of web store experiences to look at comparable art and make more informed decisions about info/metrics displayed, such as ratings, download counts, descriptions, etc. @stephdau and @tellyworth are working on initial patches to align the install screen with the theme browser. Tickets: #27440, #22599, #19784.
- Schema Changes: @nacin is planning on going over indexes with @pento, @batmoo, and @bazza
- Taxonomy/Schema: #22023: we need to evaluate how terms are inserted and whether a race is possible (@nacin).
Thanks to @designsimply for her help with notes and summaries this release!
Proposed agenda; as always, please comment below with any additions you may have. Apologies for the late post today.
- i18n: #28571 (Language updates problems), #28577 (Allow language to be chosen during initial install), next steps.
- Customizer component.
- Editor experience.
- Plugins page improvements (UI/UX prompt post).
- Schema changes.
- #22023: Remove UNIQUE for slug in wp_terms.
- SSL: #12609: Enabling FORCE_SSL_ADMIN breaks wp-cron.php
Summary of 6/11 dev chat (IRC log):