Last Week in WordPress Core
Howdy everyone! This is Last Week in WordPress Core for the week of March 31-April 7. I’m including all of the commits up to RC1 this week, which was released yesterday. Things are looking good, with very few remaining tickets open.
3.8.2 and 3.7.2 were also released with security fixes, and automatic updates are rolling out.
Developers, please test with your plugins and themes and let us know if you find issues.
TinyMCE: As a quick note, since I’ve seen this brought up in the forums — in this release, TinyMCE no longer uses
IE8 & wpview: Due to IE7/8 compat being necessary in TinyMCE (to resolve caret issues), IE8 and
wpview are not currently the best of friends. Post RC1, fixes landed for #27546 that make
wpviews degrade more gracefully.
- Playlists: Make elements in playlists responsive and fix playlist advancement on mobile.   #27625
- Playlists: Set
preload='none'for the empty
<audio|video>tag.  #26779
- Playlists: Make tracks keyboard-accessible.  #27644
- A/V Shortcodes: Remove support for a caption in audio and video shortcodes. This was part of a UX iteration for the related MCE views, but these captions have since been excluded. See .  #27320
- Edit Image Modal: Make the calculation of the aspect ratio more robust.   #27366
- Do not show featured images for image attachments; remove
theme_supports_thumbnails()for now.  #27673
<br>elements for HTML5 galleries; see #26697.  #27637
- Twenty Thirteen and Fourteen: Update styles to support the new HTML5 line-break-less galleries.  #27637
- Customizer Header Images: Better handle cropping failures; improve accessibility and styles.  #27598;    #21785
- Customizer Header Images: Add suggested dimensions.    #21785
- Edit Post|Page: When autosaving a new post for the first time after a title was typed, cancel the autosave if the user is submitting the form.  #27657
- Hide “Add New” with no-JS.  #27055
- Use JSONP for api.wordpress.org requests.  #27639
- Fix sorting and counts. Add prev/next to previews and improve keyboard navigation.  #27055;    #27521
- Handle currently installed themes, add search route, let prev/next refresh collections.   #27695
- Improve More Filters section and handling when there are no themes found.    #27055
- Trigger jQuery events for widget updates.
widget-addedwhen a widget is added to a sidebar and
widget-syncedfor widget soft/hard updates.   #19675; #27491
is_preview()method to allow widgets to check to see if they’re currently being previewed via the customizer.  #27538
- Widget Customizer: Improve compatibility with plugin custom scripts and styles for widgets.  #27619
- Widget Customizer: Rename
print_preview_css.  #27534
- Widget Customizer: Use
postMessageto highlight widgets in preview or sections/controls in Customizer.   #27622
- Widget Customizer: Refactor and clean up
wp.customize.Widgets, and make available widgets panel a Backbone view.      #27690
- Update TinyMCE to 4.0.21.  #24067
- Image Details Modal Improve look-and-feel, and add a Custom Size option to the size drop-down that reveals fields for soft-resizing the inserted image.  #27366
- Image Details Modal: Move all advanced options under a single toggle, bring back the field for CSS Class, and optimize CSS for responsive layout.  #27366
- Drag and Drop Uploading: Add new argument to
wp_editor()to enable.  #27465
- Gallery Views: Avoid JS errors when image attachments lack metadata.  #27691
- Return to loading
/langs/[locale]_dlg.jsfrom PHP to prevent errors with missing translation files when
requireLangPack()is used without its second argument. Back to using ISO 639-1 (two letter) locales. #24067;  #27610
- Clarify error when
wpdialogsis not enqueued. Add
wp_enqueue_editoraction fired when scripts and styles for the editor are being enqueued.  #16284
- Update translatable strings.  #27453, #24067
- Tighten up toolbar and tab styles.   #27279
- Expose toolbar keyboard shortcut in Help documentation for TinyMCE, and clean up TinyMCE help dialog, removing duplicated text and leaving only Keyboard Shortcuts.  #27024;  #27100
- Fall back from ext/mysqli to ext/mysql if the connection fails. This allows us to avoid breaking a site that works under ext/mysql but is misconfigured for ext/mysqli.  #21663
wpdb::check_connection()to match the connect method.  #27240
- Don’t pass a second argument to
mysqli_fetch_field().  #27693
WP_USE_EXT_MYSQL.  #21663
- Updates: Record Plugin & Theme update statistics like we do for Core updates.   #27633
- Pingbacks: Forward pingback IP during verification.  #27613
- Dashicons:    #26936
- New icons:
- Updated icons:
.dashicons-post-trashas an alias for
.dashicons-trash, which is the new one.
- Use new icons in Widget Customizer.
- New icons:
- Don’t try to resolve symlinks for single-file plugins.
plugins_url()should not be used in this context anyway.  #16953
- Remove old
links_recently_updated_*DB options that never had a UI.  #27649
wpmu_current_site().  #27702
Many thanks to @adamsilverstein, @andykeith, @avryl, @azaozz, @bramd, @chiragswadia, @davidmarichal, @dd32, @dpe415, @duck_, @DrewAPicture, @DrProtocols, @ehg, @eightface, @empireoflight, @gcorne, @helen, @jackreichert, @jdgrimes, @jeremyfelt, @jesin, @joedolson, @johnbillion, @jorbin, @jond3r, @kovshenin, @kpdesign, @leewillis77, @markjaquith, @matveb, @mcsf, @melchoyce, @michael-arestad, @nacin, @Nessworthy, @norcross, @obenland, @ocean90, @pento, @plocha, @rachelbaker, @rmccue, @sdasse, @SergeyBiryukov, @siobhan, @sonjanyc, @tellyworth, Tom Adams, @vancoder, @westonruter, and @wonderboymusic for their help this week!
For the complete list of commits to trunk, check out the log on Trac. Since we’re getting very close to release, the best way to help is to test! Let us know if you run into problems in the Alpha/Beta forums or on trac.