Subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Join 2,137 other subscribers
Suggest agenda items for Dec 3rd dev chat
demetris, Jane Wells, Matt, and 7 others are discussing. Toggle Comments
How do we handle security releases in the admin? If a user is running an old 2.8 such as 2.8.1 do we tell the user that 2.8.6 is available or 2.9? And when on 2.8.6 tell them that 2.9 is available? Or do we need to do another release in 2.8 to give us more UI capabilities so that we can tell the user that both 2.8.6 is available and 2.9?
We covered this a little in the Dev chat for the 19th. Everyone think it over and come back with some ideas.
I would like to see us start with 2.8, so we should get this figured out soon.
We might want to reschedule this week’s dev chat since Thanksgiving is on the 26th for us Americans. Thoughts?
That is a good point. I will actually be travelling and not available for the meeting. I leave Wednesday and am not back until Sunday. I say move the meeting to Tuesday or maybe skip a week.
I have started a poll above to get some feedback
Decision is to skip this week and move to the 3rd.
Imo, it is Appearance that should have been renamed back to Themes… I don’t know about others, but that one was one change to the UI that I did NOT find relevant (at all)
I think this is better discussed on the ticket rather than in the meeting – do you want to comment there.
I’ve opened http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11224
Denis, I think Appearance is appropriate but there are other items I would like to see added. I commented on the ticket.
Added my comment to trac late, so repeating here. Was renamed Appearance b/c so many people got lost looking for widgets, which regular people don’t associate with themes. We can address possible re-naming in 3.0, when we’ll address menus (with merge) and header/nav touch-ups (postponed from summer).
Good point on Widgets, I had forgotten about that.
The point on docs is much more compelling imo. It’s end of story, even.
@Jane > we’ll address menus (with merge) and header/nav touch-ups
Link to more info? Would be good in the tic too.
@lloyd > There is no info yet; we aren’t starting to think about the merge until 2.9 is out the door.
Create a post on the wp.org dev feed that highlights what breaks to plugin devs. And do so with every release.
My own tests didn’t reveal much that broke with 2.9 except for the new trash status. Then again I’m sure I’m missing things since I’ve no plugins that mess around with comments.
Anyway, the point would be to highlight what breaks and why in language that plugin devs can understand. In the case of the new trash can, it means something like:
WordPress’ new Trash feature introduces as new post status, and a new comment status. Contrary to revisions in WP 2.6, which had introduced a new post type, this new “trash” status has the potential to break plugins.
Yours might be broken if it uses direct SQL queries with no constraints on the post or comment status field, such as:
Adding to the previous comment, there might still be other queries in WP that might need to be looked into.
[...] chat will be on Thurs…Jane Wells on Next dev chat will be on Thurs…Peter Westwood on Suggest agenda items for Nov 2…Denis de Bernardy on Suggest agenda items for Nov 2… Hide threads | [...]
Since announcement that Google is ditching Gears, I wonder if we should remove Turbo link from header (and possibly from Tools section of admin as well)?
Tracking here from Ryan:
I’ll be out today during dev chat. Have to go buy a car to replace the one that was totaled in my car accident earlier this week. I’ll be in Orlando for WordCamp as of tomorrow, and will catch up with the core guys who will be there to see what I missed.
My votes: punt all edge case bugs/those that haven’t been reproduced/those that only one or two people have commented on if there hasn’t been adequate patch testing; ditch gears link in header; hold off on changing default post text until 3.0 pending some testing; hold off on pretty much any proposed UI changes since there’s not really time to adequately test new stuff now and do the release in December (and we’ll be doing UI touch-ups in 3.0, so waiting until then will have a lower pain level for all the documentation etc). Of note: Ben Dunkle is about done with the new icons for the media editing stuff, so those will make it in before RC.
Also, CodePress is disabled but still in WP, but as I understand it, it’s not being maintained and people have been testing alternatives for inclusion. Should CodePress be removed from 2.9 to trim core, or would pulling it out now cause trouble?
1. A question/reminder: Is the wp-announce list working? Will it be working for the point releases in the 2.9.
2. A proposal to discuss minimum intervals between first beta and final release, and between first RC and final. Mainly for the benefit of plugin/theme devs and of translator teams, and also in order to catch the occasional shy bug.
At least 4 weeks interval between Beta 1 and Final, and at least 2 weeks between RC 1 and Final. In normal circumstances, the 4 weeks could be allocated evenly somewhat like this:
Beta 2 after 1 week
RC 1 after 1 week
RC 2 after 1 week
Final after 1 week
RC1 could also be a good point for string-freeze.
← Agenda for Nov 19th Dev Chat
Should we skip this weeks dev chat because of Thanksgiving? →