This week’s community team chat topic is Mentorships…

This week’s community team chat topic is: Mentorships & Diversity

If you have agenda items, questions, or if you won’t make it to the meeting but have input for this week’s wrapup post, please post it here!

New FLOSS survey results – big improvements!

Those of you who have followed issues of diversity (and gender diversity in particular) in the open-source world have almost certainly run across the FLOSS-POLS survey from 2006, based on survey data collected in 2004. That’s the source of the “women are 2% of open sourceOpen Source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL.” statistic that’s frequently quoted.

Given how much the open-source world has changed in the last 10 years, it was high time for an updated survey, and the results are now out: You can find them at http://floss2013.libresoft.es/results.en.html

In the new survey, women are up to 11% of respondents, with another 2% reporting “other” to the gender question (which wasn’t an option in the previous survey). The survey included all contributors to open-source projects — so design, support, translation, et al are also included. I was also happy to see lots of overlap between code and non-code contributions. There’s still a long way to go, but it’s great to see this much movement!

The full dataset is available for download for anyone who enjoys the stat-geeking.

This week’s meeting topic is All things Meetups…

This week’s meeting topic is: All things MeetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook.! Thurday 1900 UTC in #wordpress-getinvolved

If you have updates, either for the update post or you won’t be at the meeting, post them in comments here. And don’t forget to weigh in on some of the ongoing comment discussions on this blog. Thanks!

Team meeting recap, 1/30

The meeting was light on both people and agenda this week, but Jen & I had two discussions that need feedback.

Team Reps:
It’s time to name a rep for the next quarter. I’ve volunteered to do it again, but we’re also open to other nominations. If you’re interested or want to nominate someone, comment and Jen will set a poll. (And I won’t have anything to do with setting it up or counting votes, in case that isn’t clear!)

We also talked about the team repTeam Rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. role overall — I’ve been collecting announcements and posting updates to the make/updates blog, but 100% of our two-person meeting agreed that more (and more multidirectional) communication would be even better, ranging from posting more recaps like this post to bringing back news from other teams.

Mentorship programs:
If you missed the Mentorship Post earlier this week, I recommend starting there. The plan is to pilot both one-on-one and small group mentorships for new contributors to different teams within the project.

The GSoC application is coming up in mid-February. Jen’s looking for a volunteer to help manage the program: add a comment to the mentorship post if you’re interested in helping out.

OPW is still up in the air: look for a separate post to open up discussion of pros and cons and whether we’ll do that one again.

Next meeting:
As a reminder, we’re moving to a new meeting schedule: The time and place remain the same, but we’ll have a different topic for each week. Coming up next: MeetupsMeetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. and local events.

Read the full IRC Logs

Updates Post your fresh hot updates here

Updates! Post your fresh hot updates here!

Who has stuff for this week’s update

Who has stuff for this week’s update?

Stuff for Friday’s update Anyone Bueller

Stuff for Friday’s update? Anyone? Bueller?

Who has stuff for this week’s update post

Who has stuff for this week’s update post?

Weekly meeting time

We meet weekly in IRC in #wordpress-getinvolved on Thursdays at 1900 UTC. That’s an adjustment to the UTC time of our meeting to account for the time change, but most people’s local times will stay the same.

We’ve added the time to the sidebarSidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme. here and made the fix for the time change on the make.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ home page. I hope this will make the info easier for everyone to find, and that we’ll see you in IRC!

#meetings

Since we’ve had trouble meeting in real time…

Since we’ve had trouble meeting in real-time in the last couple of weeks between moves and illnesses, we’re collecting updates here.